PDA

View Full Version : Talked to a Recruiter . . .

bstewar09
04-12-08, 03:12 PM
A couple of weeks ago a Recruiter came to my school and I had a nice talk with him. I am a Junior and want to enlist and do the whole DEP program thing. Anyway, I've been trying to get all the information I can to see if its worth going through convincing the parents to sign the papers for me. So I reallly only have one question left about what the Recruiter said. He told me that if I enlist as soon as I complete my junior year and get all squared away with MEPS, I can go in with an open contract or something like that and be first in line to get the contract I want when the new fiscal year rolls around. Is that correct and does anybody have anything to add to that?
-Ben

VIKDEM1ZE
04-12-08, 03:31 PM
Possibly true since you're still in school, but I just walked into the recruiter for the first time this week, told him I want to be Infantry, and got that on my contract just like that. I heard it can be tough to get since most people want it, but worked out easier than I thought.

What MOS do you want?

Bazzard
04-12-08, 03:40 PM
~Mind you this second-hand info~ What I herd is yes thats true. You'll go open contract through DEPS and when the next fiscal year comes along you can change it to what ever you want (First dibs as some might say)however, you don't have to do that if you want a less popular MOS.

~take that with a grain of salt~

crazymjb
04-12-08, 04:24 PM
That is correct.

Mike

ZSKI
04-12-08, 04:26 PM
I'll tell you right now if you go in open contract they can give you any job they want once you leave for boot. Don't go if you don't get what you want, its the next 4-6 years of your life.

crazymjb
04-12-08, 04:38 PM
If you DEP in the end of Junior year and become first senior, and your recruiter is good on his word, he will have no issues locking down your MOS before you leave as soon as the new fiscal year opens up.

Mike

fs19
04-12-08, 04:43 PM
Everyone signs an open contract when they go to MEPS. The important thing is that you dont ship to boot camp with an open contract. What your recruiter told you was correct. By going to MEPS ASAP and getting DEPed in with open, you will be able to choose from any MOS you qualify for when the new Fiscal Year begins in October.

bstewar09
04-12-08, 05:35 PM
Ok thanks for all the replies

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-12-08, 06:57 PM
You can sign an open contract now, and then pick your job on Oct. 1 if it isn't open right now. Just don't let them ship you with an open contract.

bstewar09
04-12-08, 09:11 PM
Well, I areally want to do something in the field instead of being stuck behind a desk, but the needs of the Corps are the needs of the Corps. From what I've seen around here, the MOS's I am researching are fairly popular. These are 03xx and 18xx. So I don't know, I got an 88 on the ASVAB and get A's and B's in school so they might suggest other fields to me when it comes time to sign a contract.

Big Jim
04-12-08, 09:38 PM
It'd be better to have your mind made up about which MOS you really want BEFORE you sign the contract, ok? If its NOT available at the time is the only way I'd go open contract and if you do go for the open contract, like the Cpl/ said, don't ship out to boot that way...you WILL be behind a desk somewhere in BUMFUK, EGYPT!! If you want to go Recon, go 0300 and get your start there like everyone else and take your chances! But, make up your mind rather quickly!

bstewar09
04-12-08, 09:41 PM
Thats some good advice right there, I think I just made up my mind. Thanks