PDA

View Full Version : 0311

wannabeusmc2
04-11-08, 09:54 PM
Hello Marines,

I plan on joining the Marine Corps ASAP, but i currently can not get parent consent so i am donig all the research i can right now. My plan is to have my MOS be 0311. I was wondering if you could describe a normal day for this MOS on active duty (if there is one) and if it is a good option to earn the of honor of leading a squad of Marines someday.

Thank you for your time and efforts

outlaw3179
04-11-08, 10:01 PM
Use the search feature and type in "Infantry" . There are alot of threads with some real good information.

wannabeusmc2
04-11-08, 10:05 PM
will do, thank you.

wannabeusmc2
04-11-08, 10:31 PM
I looked into some of the other topics and found alot of knowledge although i was not allowed to post a reply on that topic for some reason, but i can post on others. If i have not followed a rule i am sorry i didnt know i had broken one.

I could not find an answer my question about a normal day on base for the MOS 0311 though? maybe because there isnt one?

I also had a hard time finding out about becoming a squad leader sometime in the future, if anyone had any thoughts on these two questions and wouldnt mind posting about them i would be very thankful.

Thank you for your time, service and sacrifice.

bgsuwoody
04-11-08, 10:58 PM
Definitely isn't a normal day for 0311. Hell, I'll give you just what happened this week for me.

Monday, woke up at 6:30 I stood by all day and had chow a couple times. PT'd in the morning. Did some working parties. Got off at 1700

Tuesday, woke up at 0500 for weapons draw...Took AT4 and SMAW classes all day, Chow, Got off at 1330

Wednesday, 0500 weapons draw...Fired AT4 and SMAW trainers and spotting rounds, came back, of at 1600

Thursday, 0500 weapons draw, Fired AT4 and SMAW, came back, field day, formation for awards, off at 1800

Friday, Day off because most of our company just got off a British ship.

I mean, half my company was on ship, some were at Humv school, some were at the SAW course, some were AT4 with us, some were at optics course, some were at SLAQ course, and others are at other schools. You can't have a normal day and do not expect to know whats going on until the night before unless it is a range or there is travel involved. Its crazy...expect a lot of standbye time and **** like that. Hip-pocket classes and other drills will happen all the time.

Covey_Rider
04-12-08, 04:53 AM
Welcome back wannabeusmc...FronLineMarine did not fit you for a name. Maybe someday it will. Do all the research you can about the job that you want. But I wouldn't concentrate on being a squad leader yet. It is FAR out of reach for you right now.

wannabeusmc2
04-12-08, 07:03 AM
Thank you for allowing me to make a new name. There is no way that i ment to offend anyone in this room. I relized my actions were flaw after you told me and i'm trying to make up for them. I hope i can soon earn the proud title of United States Marine.

hermogenesm
04-12-08, 11:43 AM
:usmc: I was bornd on Parris Island the land that God forgot the sand is 14''
deep the sun is blazing hot wee getup every morning way before the sun we run 100 mile's or more before the day is done...Marine.....Marine..... Can someone out there fisnnish it be we deploy?.

:iwo:Sgthermogenesm
Blinded Marine Veteran.

JordanB
04-13-08, 01:39 AM
If your interested in the grunts, heres the break down.

0311 Rifleman(my mos) Jack of all trades, you are the back bone of not only the Marine Corps but also of the infantry. ALL OTHER MOS'S ARE THERE TO SUPPORT YOU.

0313 LAV Crewman Im in LAR and I dont think I can name even 3 13's who like this mos. You drive the troops where they need to be and if your lucky youll get to shoot off some 25 mike mike, but not so much these days.

0321 Recon Cant say too much about these guys as I really dont know many, talked to one at cax and he seemed pretty good to go.

0331 Machine gunner Most people think 31's are the guys you see in infantry squads carrying the m249 saw, thats usually 11's 31's are more used for heavy machine guns such as the .50, the mk19, or if they are attached to a 11 unit they will carry a 240.

0341 Mortar Man Infantry pog join if your lazy and just want to droop mortors on people from miles away from the ****.

0351 Assault Man Pretty much a glorifyed 11 these guys also get trained in demo as well as their primary task which is supposto be the implimentation of ither the at4 or the smaw in support of the 11 units.

0352 Anti tank assault guided missle man (toe gunner) Another lazy MOS, pretty much these guys are dinosaurs who arnt much use to the current conflicts, only up side is their MOS promotes fast as hell.

Adam1988
04-13-08, 02:49 AM
0341 Mortar Man Infantry pog join if your lazy and just want to droop mortors on people from miles away from the ****.

this kid has got to be ****ing joking

wannabeusmc2
04-13-08, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the info, I am going to join as an 0311. I still have a couple of questions about the MOS if you wouldnt mind.

Are you allowed to go to any base? or are there bases that infantry cant live at?

Do you have any regrets about your job as an 0311? like you wish you would have chosen something else?

I also have thought about trying to be selected for BRC, what kind of preperation do i need to do for that?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

bgsuwoody
04-13-08, 10:19 AM
You will go to whatever base they send you to. You will either be at Lejeune in NC, Pendelton in California, and you could get sent to Okinawa or Hawaii.

Everyday as a grunt is hard and you take on jobs from a million other MOS's. You are the jack of all trades. Days suck, the work is hard, but I don't regret my decision for anything. You get ****ty equipment for a ****ty job and have to accomplish it with minimal time and maximum effort. Be prepared to give all you have all the time.

wannabeusmc2
04-13-08, 12:17 PM
sounds like my kind of job.

Do you get the Off Base Housing option in this MOS? or would you recommend living in the barracks?

bgsuwoody
04-13-08, 04:46 PM
You wont really get a choice unless you are married. You should just live in the barracks

darkgreen0311
04-13-08, 05:26 PM
I don't think grunt training has changed very much some days we went on working parties other days we cleaned our weapons. Other days we would have classes on topics such as nbc. We spent alot time in the field and we ran pt pretty much every day and we had alot of battalion humps. You will receive good training such as urban training, water survival, jungle training, and cold weather. Some days we had field days and inspections of the barracks and our field gear You will get good training never a dull moment.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

wannabeusmc2
04-13-08, 05:30 PM
also, 500 yards seems a long ways for shooting a weapon with only an Iron site, is it easier then it seems or is it really that hard?

wannabeusmc2
04-13-08, 09:17 PM
Thank you for your replys they have helped me alot. If you have any further comments i wouldnt mind hearing them.

Thank you for your time and service

Coachgun
04-13-08, 11:16 PM

yeah this kid has to be joking

rvillac2
04-14-08, 10:46 AM
also, 500 yards seems a long ways for shooting a weapon with only an Iron site, is it easier then it seems or is it really that hard?

Not hard if he's standing still.

wannabeusmc2
04-14-08, 02:54 PM
Not hard if he's standing still.

Sorry for not making myself as clear as i should have been. I was talking about the Rifle Range Quals.

darkgreen0311
04-14-08, 03:42 PM
Yeah, it's far but you'll be fine they have good range instructors.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

FistFu68
04-14-08, 04:37 PM
:evilgrin: O311-(USMC RIFLEMAN) -FMF.PAC/FMF.ATL/68-72 GUNG HO BADAZZEZ:evilgrin: :iwo:

outlaw3179
04-14-08, 06:16 PM
Mortarmen are not POGs. They are grunts. I dont think hes kidding I just think this young Marine has lost his f*cking mind and has no idea what hes talking about. Maybe this young Marine should adjust fire on his comment. Maybe this young Marine needs to understand that calling a 41 a POG and that theyre lazy is grounds for a beating in the fleet.

pheartnov2904
04-14-08, 06:57 PM
Jordan B,

I can smell the cash sales on your digital cammies all the way from Jersey.

Tell me a story about when your SDI laughed into his cover.

Boot.

darrel21
04-14-08, 07:10 PM
I was a 0311 in Nam in69-70. I served with just about every kind of Marine with a different ''mos'' and i THANKED GOD we had thier support.

SEMPER FI
MOTOWN,3RD BN,26TH, LIMA CO.

wannabeusmc2
04-15-08, 09:10 PM
I cant wait to enlist. but is it hard to get the MOS 0311? i was reading some thing on here where a guy wasnt sure if he could get it at MCRD and his friend didnt get it and was moved to 0351 or something like that.

Adam1988
04-15-08, 09:36 PM
I cant wait to enlist. but is it hard to get the MOS 0311? i was reading some thing on here where a guy wasnt sure if he could get it at MCRD and his friend didnt get it and was moved to 0351 or something like that.

No, it's not. But it all depends on your SOI.

Some boot drops from SOI are all 0311's because that's what in need right now. When I went through we got to choose, and pretty much everyone got their first choice.

wannabeusmc2
04-15-08, 09:43 PM
No, it's not. But it all depends on your SOI.

Some boot drops from SOI are all 0311's because that's what in need right now. When I went through we got to choose, and pretty much everyone got their first choice.

O ok, thanks for the advice. If i join the DEP and set my MOS is it more likley to get it? or does it all come to if they need 0311s?