PDA

View Full Version : Marines Bring War into the Classrooms

thedrifter
04-24-03, 01:55 PM
Submitted by: Marine Forces Reserve
Story Identification Number: 2003424143817
Story by Cpl. Moses Martinez

SLIDELL, La.(April 24, 2003) -- Lynn Walters' American History class wasn't the usual lecture on March 28 as more than 90 juniors from North Shore High School, here, got a hands-on lesson in current affairs instead. Three Marines from Marines Forces Reserve, G-6, in New Orleans brought along field gear and a slide presentation for a class on military operations in Iraq.

Students were introduced to "MOPP gear" (Mission Oriented Protective Posture) -- protective garments worn in case of a chemical or biological attack. The Marines passed around helmets, meals-ready-to-eat (MRE), a load bearing vest, rifle magazines, and cleaning gear, a gas mask and other equipment Marines would be carrying around in Iraq.

Master Sgt. Steven J. Rauenhorst, ground electronic chief, began the instruction by answering some frequently asked questions.

"The question was what do Marines eat?" Rauenhorst answered this as he opened up an MRE, showing the students what was inside. He demonstrated the process of heating a meal and let students taste what Marines eat in combat.

"I always wondered if Marines ate whatever or were on a specific diet to stay in shape," said student Kadrina Jones.

While Rauenhorst answered questions and students passed around an MRE, Gunnery Sgt. Garritt Duncan, system operations chief, found a motivated volunteer to try on the MOPP suit.

As Duncan and Rauenhorst assisted 16-year-old, Stefan Pichon into the MOPP suit, Maj. Kenneth J. Hoag, information systems maintenance officer, reminded students time was everything in the event of a chemical attack, which could be the difference between life and death.

"You have nine seconds to don and clear a gas mask if the call is made to wear it," said Hoag.

Many students stared in awe at their peer, as the Marines added a flak jacket, pack and helmet.

"Remember, you're still missing your ammunition, meals, water, a weapon and any extra uniforms to change," said Hoag, when the students commented that the equipment looked heavy as it was.

Brandi English said she didn't realize how much gear Marines carry during combat.

"It's overwhelming! I didn't know that Marines had to carry so much stuff with them. I see things differently now," said English.

As the slide presentation began, seriousness set in when students saw current pictures of Marines in Iraq.

"Someone asked me where Marines sleep," said Duncan, as he pointed to a slide of Marines lying inside a three-foot deep hole.

The pictures and answers provoked more than a few puzzled looks and wrinkled eyebrows.

In the end, students felt they learned quite a bit and were very appreciative of the Marines' visit.

"I don't keep up with news a lot, and this presentation gave me a better understanding of what is going on," said Brittany Lagrange.

The teachers were grateful for the visit as well.

"The Marines answered so many questions that I can't, and at the same time students learned from the experience," said Walters. "Students definitely benefited from this. The Marines wouldn't be here if I didn't think students would benefit from it."

"I'm pleased to see the military talking to the students. The military provides a viable option for students because it teaches life skills that help in the long run," said principal Michael R. Peterson. " I wish everybody would put time in the military because it helps them and us as a nation.

For the Marines it was another opportunity to tell the Marine Corps story.

"It was refreshing to know that the youth of America have an interest," said Rauenhorst. "We are happy to go and to share our knowledge with them and to give a better understanding of the military."

The Drifter