PDA

View Full Version : John Paxson's son enlists in Marines

thedrifter
04-11-08, 07:36 PM
chicagotribune.com
John Paxson's son enlists in Marines

ChicagoSports.com

3:39 PM CDT, April 11, 2008

Ryan Paxson, the son of Bulls general manager John Paxson and a sophomore guard for Olivet Nazarene University, has decided to leave school and enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps.

"It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I've pretty much kept it between me and my family and my close friends," Paxson told the Kankakee Daily Journal.

Paxson confirmed his decision in an e-mail to the Marine Corps Times but said he didn't want to draw attention to himself.

"I hope this is understandable in that I have earned nothing up to this point except a chance to serve my country," Paxson wrote.

John Paxson issued a statement on behalf of him and his wife, Carolyn.

"Carolyn and I are incredibly proud of Ryan and his decision to enlist in the United States Marine Corps. He understands that he has not earned the honor and title of Marine yet and that will only happen if he successfully completes recruit training which will demand the very best of him. He has made this commitment to serve our country and we are proud of him and at the same time humbled by his willingness to sacrifice. Like everyone of our young people who choose to sacrifice and serve in our military to protect the freedom that we enjoy Ryan deserves our support and prayers."

The 6-foot-2 Paxson started all 32 games this season for Olivet Nazarene and averaged 12.8 points a game.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-11-08, 07:38 PM
John Paxson's son Ryan enlists in Marines

April 11, 2008
Recommend (3)

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI Staff Reporter

Ryan Paxson, the son of Bulls general manager John Paxson, has enlisted in the United States Marine Corps and will not return for his junior season of basketball at Olivet Nazarene.

‘‘I went and signed the papers last week,'' Paxson told the Kankakee Daily Journal. ‘‘It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I've pretty much kept it between me and my family and my close friends.

‘‘The Marine Corps is the hardest, most respected branch of service, and it's something I really have a passion for. It's something I've been thinking about since high school.''

The 6-2 guard was a starter for Olivet and was the team's second-leading scorer.

‘‘Coach let me stand up in front of the team at our end-of-the-season meeting and tell them what I was doing,'' Paxson told the newspaper. ‘‘I didn't want any rumors going around about why I was leaving. Those guys are my best friends, and I wanted to tell them to their faces.''
John Paxson issued the following statement:

‘‘Carolyn and I are incredibly proud of Ryan and his decision to enlist in the United States Marine Corps. He understands that he has not earned the honor and title of Marine yet and that will only happen if he successfully completes recruit training which will demand the very best of him. He has made this commitment to serve our country and we are proud of him and at the same time humbled by his willingness to sacrifice. Like everyone of our young people who choose to sacrifice and serve in our military to protect the freedom that we enjoy Ryan deserves our support and prayers.''

Ellie