PDA

View Full Version : I'm having trouble with pull-ups

Xebec
04-11-08, 05:12 PM
Hello poolees and Marines. I will get right to the point. I've got a pool function coming up tomorrow and I'm scared out of my pants about how the Recruiters and other poolees will think of how bad my pull-ups have gotten. I sustained an injury about a month and a half ago and I haven't been able to do much; just recently have I been able to walk a mile and a half without the injury affecting me. The injury is my ankle by the way, pretty nasty sprain. I have been working out moderately for a while and I can't do any pull-ups any more. I used to be able to do a good amount, but I can hardly do one now. Obviously my run won't matter because I won't be doing it, my sit ups will make minimum requirements, even though that doesn't please me. I am honestly just having a big problem with motovation here. I feel like everybody is going to look at me and say, he sucks. I don't feel depressed, just kinda bummed. Never quite felt this way. I know once I'm good to go on my ankle by the Dr. I will be working back and hopefully achieving 10 pullups before I ship in August. What should I do, I need some motovation, please help.

Andrew

Jonny Destroyer
04-11-08, 05:15 PM
Hello poolees and Marines. I will get right to the point. I've got a pool function coming up tomorrow and I'm scared out of my pants about how the Recruiters and other poolees will think of how bad my pull-ups have gotten. I sustained an injury about a month and a half ago and I haven't been able to do much; just recently have I been able to walk a mile and a half without the injury affecting me. The injury is my ankle by the way, pretty nasty sprain. I have been working out moderately for a while and I can't do any pull-ups any more. I used to be able to do a good amount, but I can hardly do one now. Obviously my run won't matter because I won't be doing it, my sit ups will make minimum requirements, even though that doesn't please me. I am honestly just having a big problem with motovation here. I feel like everybody is going to look at me and say, he sucks. I don't feel depressed, just kinda bummed. Never quite felt this way. I know once I'm good to go on my ankle by the Dr. I will be working back and hopefully achieving 10 pullups before I ship in August. What should I do, I need some motovation, please help.

Andrew

Um...work on your pull ups! You dont use your ankles for pull-ups, so I dont see the excuse. Just let who-ever is spotting/counting for you know that you have an ankle injury and you'll need some assistance getting up/down from the bar. One big thing about being a Marine: You learn how to adapt and overcome.

So go out there and get your azz on a bar! Bring a friend to help you out.

JoeInVille
04-11-08, 05:25 PM
They wont think of you any differently than before man. They should be supporting you and helping you out...that is what the DEP is for, not to criticize or make fun of each others ability.

Xebec
04-11-08, 05:29 PM
Thanks, it's good to hear that from another poolee. I really needed that. Thanks. Maybe I'll see you on the Island I'm leaving the 11th of August. But I suppose the chances of that happening are pretty slim, but I might see you at SOI since I'm going 03 also. Anyways, thanks again.

JoeInVille
04-11-08, 05:42 PM
Np man, I hope your injury gets better! You have a few months to get some good strength training in so 8-10 pull ups shouldnt be a huge stretch by August. Haha, we may see each other but we wouldnt know it. We may run into each other in SOI or in the fleet though. :)
HAHA your from Cleveland!!!! IM from Nashville LOL
I also have a poolee function this weekend too!!!!

ttracker65
04-11-08, 06:15 PM
I did pullups with a cast from ankle to crotch so i know you can do it but you realy need to put your heart into it. This is where you show the metal you are made of. You have been chalenged now improvise and overcome.

dutch1291
04-11-08, 06:22 PM
I'm on the Recon Ron Pull-Up Program, and even though you really don't have that much time, you could still make a decent start. I have seen drastic improvements in my number of pull-ups.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28822&highlight=recon+program

McSweeney
04-11-08, 06:56 PM

Andrew
when i first started i couldnt do any, but my fellow poolees and recruiters motivated me , and i kept working, and now i can get 4 dont be scared they'll help ya out

Xebec
04-11-08, 07:39 PM
Thanks everybody, I really needed that!

KevinR90
04-11-08, 09:50 PM
I can do more pullups than my recruiter!!!!!! lol- it's just because he was in an accident a week ago- broken ribs and a sprained wrist or something (out of the hospital in like 1 or 2 days)- he still can't do any pullups- and his PFT is coming up soon too, I think in a month. Although with all that I challenged him to a sprint last night- it was definatley more than 100 yards- and he beat me (barely) while wearing Jeans (i was in running clothes). He kinda regreted it afterwards though :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-11-08, 10:33 PM
No matter how hard we try, we can't give you the motivation to do what needs to be done. That has to come from within. Once you find it, we can foster it and bring it out more- but the beginning has to be on you.

If you can't do pull ups, there are several ways to rectify that problem. All you have to do is search. But, none of them are a magic pill. It takes work and time. If you're honestly willing to put the effort in, PM me and we can get a program together that will work for you.

dtsetzer
04-11-08, 11:35 PM
Xebec, your fellow Poolee's are there for you, that is the point of the DEP. They won't laugh at you, they won't make fun of you. All of us Poolee's need to be there for each other as we get ready for what will be the greatest challenge of our lives.

Stay motivated,

Poolee Setzer