PDA

View Full Version : MOS School Information

KevinR90
04-11-08, 01:57 PM
I've searched and not found anything online with details about how the specialty schools work (mostly it's all boot camp). I'd like to know the general structure and rules about it. Like on average how long is a day of training, do you get weekends off, do you get maybe Christmas and other holidays off, and other questions I can't really think of right now. Also, are MOS schools on par with the feelling of boot camp- being rushed and being yelled at all the time- or is it more of them actually teaching you what you're stuppose to be learning and less yelling for no reason? I know it depends on the MOS you have, but general information would be nice because I can't find any. Thanks.

JoeInVille
04-11-08, 02:47 PM
I obviously dont know too much about any of the schools but I have heard quite a few things about SOI. I am also pretty sure your experience at Boot Camp will also be a one time thing. If you are infantry, SOI is more physically demanding than Boot Camp and they dont have to change you like they did in Boot, they just have to train you in all types of weaponry.

Camper51
04-11-08, 04:13 PM
MOS schools are just that, schools. Most, but not necessarily all, will have weekends and federal holiday's off. It isn't boot camp and you are treated like Marines. You are expected to be in class every day without excuses because if you miss classes you will be dropped or recycled depending on the circumstances.

You can bet if it is your fault you missed classes you will be dropped like a hot potato, however if missing classes was due to unfortunate circumstances such as illness, etc. then you might be recycled if possible...

Don't think you are scott free on weekends either, you might have a field day or be pulling duty.

rvillac2
04-11-08, 04:24 PM
To a very general question, I'll give you a very general response:

General Conduct:
At every MOS school, you are still treated as a very junior Marine. This means that you will be put in check by everyone on the teaching staff and any other military personnel in the area. If your training is on another branch's base, you will be especially told to maintain your bearing and superiority as a Marine.

School:
Your only purpose for being at school is to learn and graduate the course. Instructors will do whatever it takes to teach you and make sure you retain the knowledge. You are a student and are expected to not know anything. Therefore, stand ready to be treated like a child learning his ABCs. FYI: We don't yell for no reason at all. Everything we do has a purpose. (Like sitting cross legged on the floor for hours has a purpose.)

Downtime/Liberty:
Bootcamp is the only place that you're gauranteed regularly timed chow and sleep. School schedule is based on what can be done and how long it's taking. Stand by to spend a lot of hours waiting and then hurrying off at a sprint to get somewhere. When allowed, you will have liberty restricted to the base or a nearby town. As a student, you'll have to report back each evening and be in the rack. You can be checked by a duty NCO. At least one day a week, there will not be liberty and you'll be field day'ing (cleaning) instead.

Leave:
You are not normally granted leave while at school unless it is an emergency. Holiday policies vary, but a one-day holidays are usually honored with a 72 or 96 (3day or 4day weekend).

KevinR90
04-11-08, 09:44 PM
thanks. That's basically exactly what I wanted to know. Hopefully I'll get off for Christmas.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-11-08, 10:37 PM
Unless it is a very odd situation you'll get a 96 for Christmas just about any time you aren't deployed. Whether you can get home on a 96 is dependent upon where the school is and where you live. You are only allowed to travel a specific distance for each amount of liberty. Thus, if your home is "out of bounds" you'll have to get written permission to go there. Usually, you'll need to show them an airline ticket that proves you will be back on time... and of course not have duty. Because duty is a daily thing, someone has to do it no matter what day it is.

Reagan
04-12-08, 02:47 AM
While this thread is active, I have a quick question. I haven't been able to find anything in the search function about it, but does anyone happen to know how I can find out how long schooling is for a MOS?

I've been looking around like crazy yet can't seem to find anything...

Danman
04-12-08, 03:08 AM
Go talk to a Recruiter he can help you out

Reagan
04-12-08, 03:34 AM
I'll probably be meeting with one sometime in the next few days, so I figure I could hold my hosses until then. Thanks anyway!

KevinR90
04-12-08, 02:02 PM
actually MOS lengths you can find searching google. I know mine- flight crew- (if i get helicopters) is anywhere from 213 to 240 days. I couldn't find the c-130 one though. It really does depend on waht you have.