PDA

View Full Version : Poolees! READ THIS.

Seyborg
04-11-08, 01:40 PM
Alright. Like I said in my last post: I am now a month away from shipdate....blah blah...and now it's time for project push/pull/sit-up.

So I started it today. Follow it in THIS fashion and it will wear you out. (NOTE- I was really hungry during today's workout, but I still feel that even when properly fed, you will get gased/jacked in a GOOD way.)

Pull-ups 1xMUSCLE FAILURE
Push-ups 1XMF
Sit-ups 1xMF
Dips 1XMF (I added this as personal pref.)

REPEAT FOR THREE SETS.

During the whole exercise, do NOT take breaks. For example don't stop when your done with pull-ups and take a breather before push-ups. NO. BAD KID.

After you've done all this. RUN 1.5 miles. I would recommend doing this EVERY other day, and running 3 miles on your off days.

Do me a favor fellow poolees. Try it. Post on this thread how you faired!

It rocked my world. I was tired as heck.

-Seyborg :beer:

rsox353
04-11-08, 01:45 PM
What do you mean 1xMuscle Failure?

VIKDEM1ZE
04-11-08, 01:47 PM

I think it basically means, keep going until your body gives out on the specific thing, then move to the next, repeat.

phantasm
04-11-08, 01:47 PM

1 set until you cant physically do any more. Thats muscle failure.

Seyborg
04-11-08, 01:59 PM
Yeah phatasm, you got it. Even after you've completed pull-ups,push-ups,sit-ups don't STOP! Sit-ups to pull ups!

This will keep your BLOOD pumpin'. That means weight loss. This will not make you big. This will however cut you up, and give you a mean level of endurance me thinks.

Poolees! CRITIQUE if possible. We can work together to make a BADASS workout.

Seyborg
04-11-08, 02:01 PM
One thought comes to mind..

You know how I say repeat for 3 sets?

Maybe it should say...REPEAT UNTIL YOU CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE!

Is this to much Marines? I'm super Moto'd right now, sorry for the post after post. That work-out gave me a challenge.

NeedSomePT
04-11-08, 03:41 PM
What is your goal for this "program" ?

Is it to be an ass kicker?

Endurance builder?

Get a higher amount of reps?

I've heard that the most effective way to build up your max is to not go to failure each time, and it makes sense tbh. When you go to failure your muscles are more fatigued and take longer to recover. This means next set you're going to do 8 instead of 12. After taht 5 instead of 8. After taht you might squeeze out just one. You might be able to max 15 push ups (just throwing a random number here guys!) and on paper 5 sets to failure means you did 75 push ups. In reality you might only do 40-50.
You should do sets of maybe 8-10 (if your max is 15)
That way you'll be able to do more sets with more steady reps which will in the end probably give you over 100 push ups.

I'm not a personal trainer or anything, just giving you some advice/suggestions. In the end you shoudl find what works best for you since you're doing this on YOUR time and once you get to boot camp you won't have that liberty you're going to do it their way no questions about it.

Seyborg
04-11-08, 09:25 PM
Failure does not promote BIG muscle growth. No. Your sounding like a trainer and everything you said is CORRECTO.

Correct if you want to body build.

I'm trying to simulate. Simulate boot, a intense fight. The fact of the matter is this: In a fight you don't go half as hard as you can three times with 2 min in between. You go ALL OUT with ALL you got. You go ALL OUT (failure) while trying to last (no breaks). The parentheses explains my workout. Many MMA fighters train with no breaks for this reason. So that when you DO get breaks..

THE **** DONT STINK AND IT'S EASY

Oh and, it Boot you go to failure+ one more. Thats also why.

NeedSomePT
04-11-08, 10:03 PM
When did anyone say anything about muscle growth or bodybuilding?

You're missing the point of what I'm trying to say.

There comes a point when doing so many reps is not so much a matter of strentgh or power, but muscle endurance.
Like that Marine who did I don't nkow how many pul ups, thousands or hundreds for some world record. Don't get me wrong I'm not at all trying to downplay his strenght but there comes a point when it isn't about strenght it is about endurance, conditioning etc.

You might be able to do 200 push ups but when you sit at a bench do to a bench press the weight you put up for your max might not be impressive at all. On the other hand someone with an impressive max on bench press might struggle to get past 20 or 30 push ups. Does that mean his chest is weaker? No it means his muscles are not trained the same way.

Now I'm not saying you're wrong in trying to get your body used to a "boot camp" style work out, I think it is a very good idea, you just seem to have misunderstood my point.
Sure you will get used working at your limits while your heart is pounding and your head is throbbing. Does that mean that you're going to be a recruit that scores a perfect PFT and puts everyone to shame when he gets to the pullup bar? Not necessarely.

Like I said, I asked what your goal of your program was and I offered advice for something different which are both good. Since you didn't specify what your specific goal was and you said you were open to suggestions I'm slightly confused why you seem to have taken offense at my suggestion (if you didn't, sorry my misundrstanding)

dtsetzer
04-11-08, 11:41 PM
Seyborg, I like the program you've got there. Personally I do something along those lines, go to failure/do as many sets as I physically can. Typically I switch things out, I'll do a max set of pushups, then ab exercises and squats, followed by another max set of push ups, then upper body work. I find it gives me a tiring full body work out. Obviously you throw running in there as well!

Poolee Setzer

Seyborg
04-12-08, 09:37 AM
PT- You didn't offend me bud, I was just FULL of energy. lol. . .

At any rate, it's def. a endurance thing. Just trying to simulate Boot.

I know you didn't say anything about bodybuilding, but your explanation leaned towards it.

No harm, no foul. . .my fellow poolee!

(OH and last post, yeah I like it too! Wear's me out QUICK like.)

LeonardLawrence
04-12-08, 09:43 AM
I'm trying to simulate. Simulate boot, a intense fight. The fact of the matter is this: In a fight you don't go half as hard as you can three times with 2 min in between. You go ALL OUT with ALL you got. You go ALL OUT (failure) while trying to last (no breaks). .

Seyborg,
This phiosophy for working out sounds right on, but don't forget to rest and heal (good nutrition) in between as well. It is an important part of the balance between fighting fit and injured.

Would be interested in reading more from anyone who stepped up to Seyborg's challenge on this one....

Seyborg
04-12-08, 10:12 AM
Thank you for the advice sir!

I am eating right, and I do this every other day.

In your opinion is that to much rest? I usually run 3 miles on my off days.

Thanks for your advice

LeonardLawrence
04-12-08, 10:30 AM
Thank you for the advice sir!

I am eating right, and I do this every other day.

In your opinion is that to much rest? I usually run 3 miles on my off days.

Thanks for your advice

Seyborg,

I have always been a big fan of training instinctively...if your body wants to go run in the woods, go for it. If you want to hit some miles on the track or the streets, go for it.

Personally, although I have used them in the past, I hate the idea of running charts, programs, etc.

I would say listen to your body to find out if you are doing to much. With a caution here, that you are listening to your motivated mind and not the internal laziness. If your body says it is tired, that is good, you are working out. If your body says you are ehausted than that may mean you need to tweak things on a physical training or nutritional level and you should act accordingly. (ie, more rest or more likely better nutrition).

I would say if it is working for you, you feel like it is working you out and you are gaining endurance, than run with it for as long as you feel like it.

VIKDEM1ZE
04-12-08, 01:03 PM
Honestly, I just like working along my own pyramid.

Seyborg
04-12-08, 01:37 PM
bump.

no one gonna try it?

Newski45
04-16-08, 02:22 PM
Yesterday we had 2 drill instructors from MCRD SD come to our Poolee familly night, one was SDI sgt. Ordaz from Fox Company 2122, n' the other one was a heavy hat. Well they had us doing so many pushups that even if you are in the most physical shape it's still not go to help you that much, I'm in pretty good shape but after about 10 mins of pushups in majority, with some jumping jacks, n' crunches thrown in, I could have kept going thought because I had so much motovation that I wanted to keep going, but after an hour of rest my body was in a little pain, but good now. So don't stress too hard on the physical part of bootcamp just keep working at it, you can never fully prepare yourself for what's going to happen in bootcamp, you'll do fine, if you want it bad enough you'll get it with a lot of dedication,and even more motovation.