PDA

View Full Version : Good Question!

Seyborg
04-11-08, 09:25 AM
Fellow Poolees and Marines,

What do you eat before a LONG and STENUOUS workout?

I leave in a month or so. This starts project pushup. I now will only do (dropping the weights) pull-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups/crunches. . . and of course running :p (I passed the IST with flying colors, but this is just to get my body prepared and used to calestinics [sp])

When I workout, sometimes I feel like I have energy andother times, I do not.

Thanks for the help.

NeedSomePT
04-11-08, 09:34 AM
How much longer before you work out are you planning to eat?

10 minutes? 30 minutes? One hour?

I've heard if you're going to eat something before a work out (~30 minutes before) you should eat a banana. Don't go and have a full out meal it will weigh you down and as you're running or doing push ups your stomach will be bouncing all over the place and I'm sure you can guess the rest. Also I've always heard this, but you shouldn't drink orange juice before working out (I'd say 1-2 hours prior to working out.) For some reason orange juice will make you throw up, I'm not sure how true that is but I've heard it coming from several people who do a LOT of running so I'll take their word for it.

My real advice though would be to look at the boot camp schedule and see how much time you roughly have between eating and PTing your ass off. Also eat things you will have access too. I can't say since I haven't been to boot camp yet but I seriously doubt you will have access to all kidns of energy drinks, workout bars, supplements, and all that jazz.

Better to break habits and get used to things on your own terms than get forced to doing them

yellowwing
04-11-08, 09:36 AM
Eating what for chow? I can't remember. But I do know that I felt better taking those vitamin packs in the morning rather than after a harsh day.

Plus those vitamin E capsules were good for scratches. A severe abrasion healed faster with the vitamin E oil on it, faster than a neosporin type ointment.