PDA

View Full Version : Swim qual PI 1978 and now?

Eric Hood
04-11-08, 09:16 AM
Hey my fellow Leathernecks!
How has swim qual changed in the last 30 years? I don't remember swimming in utilities, as they do now. How come is the drown proof training in the FMF with helos? I read about this in "Four in The Corps"( I wrote the author, he must have broke his hand. Did'nt write back)
OHH-RAH,
Eric:iwo:

DevilDogJAL
04-11-08, 10:17 AM
I graduated August of last year...we had to do a few exercises across the pool in combat gear, then we had to float using our blouses. That's just for the first qual. I don't really remember what you had to do in the others.

Eric Hood
04-11-08, 10:24 AM
Thanks.
I watche the three hour show on the Discovery Channel. I don't remember it, maybe we did swim with mock up rifles and helmets. It looked harder, than what I did. I was only in the second catergory--WS-2? and was mad!! I have always been a good swimmer. Are you still on active duty? Do you practice MCMAP?
Semper Fi,
Eric:usmc:

DevilDogJAL
04-11-08, 10:26 AM
Thanks.
I watche the three hour show on the Discovery Channel. I don't remember it, maybe we did swim with mock up rifles and helmets. It looked harder, than what I did. I was only in the second catergory--WS-2? and was mad!! I have always been a good swimmer. Are you still on active duty? Do you practice MCMAP?
Semper Fi,
Eric:usmc:

I'm a reservist in Alabama. I'm actually wanting to advance in MCMAP but I can't find anyone around here who teaches it. I was ****ed at boot camp as well....I was one exercise away from W-2 and I got a cramp and they made me get out. I wanted to just wade there for a second until it went away but they wouldn't let me.

Twitchell
04-11-08, 02:22 PM
I watche the three hour show on the Discovery Channel. I don't remember it, maybe we did swim with mock up rifles and helmets.

When I went through SD in 99, we used molded over M-16A1's, kevlars, flak jackets, and alice packs that were assigned to the pool.
From what I remember we had to wade back and fourth a few times. Then we had to jump off the plank, or what ever it was called. We had to, (in full gear), swimm from the shallow to deep end and rescue another recruit by grabing they're pack and pull them back down to the shallow end. Then we had to tread water for, "I can't remember". I think 10-15 minutes, and also make a life preserver out of your trousers.

Does anyone remember? I swear I remember doing some first aid stuff as well. Like the whole, hold they're chin and keep they're mouth and nose out of the water while pulling them to the side thing. I don't know maybe that was one of my other jobs, or one of the 2nd class qual's maybe, but I swear it was the Marines.

Needless to say, I got 2nd class. I failed the last swimm before trying 1st class cause I was'nt moveing my arm sideways enough or something. There were only four of us left, only one got to try for 1st, and failed it.

Eric Hood
04-11-08, 04:37 PM
Thanks. We just got told to get out of the water. The DIs made a spot decision. And of course, you could'nt ask for a shot at it! Did you have three or four squads in your plt? We had four and about 76 recruits.
Semper Fi,
Eric

ejrocks4sure
04-11-08, 04:49 PM
Wasn't the most exemplary recruit in bootcamp, but by God, growing up in Redondo Beach, Calif., I could swim. I was one of only two in my platoon to earn WSQ certification, which involved a lot, including floating around in full uniform, including boots, with a rifle.

SlingerDun
04-11-08, 11:25 PM
I don't recall MCRD swim qual in cammie's or boots either. It wasn't until requals that i swam in gear and pulled off boots and made floats out of trousers jumped off of towers loaded down with equipment dog paddle for an hour? etc.

Is it once a year mandatory? I'm sure i did it 5 times in 3 years including one episode with Navy UDT instructors at Coronado IBS/swim requal. Those squids belittled everyone in our detachment thoroughly but didn't dog us quite like the SEAL recruits so i came to the conclusion that if your in decent shape, can remain buoyant and stay calm then your good to go USMC 1st class swim qual, but that 'commando' shiats a different story altogether.

--->Dave