PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question...or two

dhenderson88
04-11-08, 07:47 AM
First of all, I'm now offically a Poolee. How do I change my status?

Second, I picked 4671 Combat Videographer as my job. I was just wondering if you're doing a non-combat job can you volunteer to go on patrols and such things as that. The reason I picked the job I did was because I have a degree in Film and would love to gain experience with my chosen feild in the Corps. At the same time I feel, as I'm sure all Marines and Poolees have felt, that I should do some sort of combat job or I have some type of obligation to do some sort of combat job because I'm joining the Marines not some T.V. station. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

-Dwight

Seyborg
04-11-08, 08:26 AM
Your a COMBAT Videographer. You will carry a rifle. You will be put into combat, with a camera. You will be shot at. You're just filming it. No worries you'll get a chance to shoot your rifle at someone.

outlaw3179
04-11-08, 09:39 AM
Seyborg how the f*ck do you know ? Are you a Marine , do you have knowledge in this MOS and what it truly entails besides the f*cking obvious? If not shut your face and perhaps maybe there is a Marine on this site that does know, and let him answer the question poolee.

davblay
04-11-08, 10:55 AM
Seyborg how the f*ck do you know ? Are you a Marine , do you have knowledge in this MOS and what it truly entails besides the f*cking obvious? If not shut your face and perhaps maybe there is a Marine on this site that does know, and let him answer the question poolee.

This is another example of the blind leading the blind! Poolees, if you don't know the answer to a question....keep your pie hole shut and let someone that does answer the question! Sheeesh! Like I've said before "EXPERTS"! LMAO!

Dave

CamK
04-11-08, 02:13 PM
Duh, haven't you seen FMJ?

;)

dhenderson88
04-11-08, 04:06 PM
Its been thrity years since the Vietnam war, things may have changed since then. Again mainly just wondering if you can volunteer for such things as patrols if your not infantry or a combat oriented job.

RWilliams
04-11-08, 04:15 PM
First of all, I'm now offically a Poolee. How do I change my status?

Second, I picked 4671 Combat Videographer as my job. I was just wondering if you're doing a non-combat job can you volunteer to go on patrols and such things as that. The reason I picked the job I did was because I have a degree in Film and would love to gain experience with my chosen feild in the Corps. At the same time I feel, as I'm sure all Marines and Poolees have felt, that I should do some sort of combat job or I have some type of obligation to do some sort of combat job because I'm joining the Marines not some T.V. station. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

-Dwight
Sends a message to jinelson or Shaffer..they can help you switch your status. :)

dhenderson88
04-11-08, 04:34 PM
Sends a message to jinelson or Shaffer..they can help you switch your status. :)

Thank you :)

reversehalo
04-11-08, 06:09 PM
HAHA! +1

It's annoying, yet humorous when a poolee tries to lock someone else on about something they have no first-hand knowledge of.

Like, OMG, my recruiter told me.

Or...

I saw it in a movie.

Or...

My friend's uncle's wife's brother's best-friend's dad said so.

ttracker65
04-11-08, 06:20 PM
Hahahahahahahaahahahah Oh Boy It's Getting Fun Now!

reversehalo
04-11-08, 06:24 PM
Hahahahahahahaahahahah Oh Boy It's Getting Fun Now!

My friend's boyfriend's sister's husband's brother's recruiter told him it's not as fun as you think it is.

chili77bowl
04-11-08, 06:57 PM
Dear Chili, anyone?

Adam1988
04-11-08, 07:15 PM
Seyborg how the f*ck do you know ?

LOL

davblay
04-11-08, 07:52 PM
Its been thrity years since the Vietnam war, things may have changed since then. Again mainly just wondering if you can volunteer for such things as patrols if your not infantry or a combat oriented job.

As a POOLEE, you need to pay attention to detail. The Viet Nam war was more like 35 years ago when it ended. Things have changed since then, very much so. Now a Photo Journalist may very well be ordered to such duty, where as it was more or less volunteer in those days. Another thing that Movie, FMJ, was set in the mid 60s, that means 40 years ago.

But as one of my learned comrates stated earlier, maybe some Marine will answer that question that knows the correct answer.

As far as wondering if you can volunteer for patrols and such...why not go Infantry, buy a camera to take with you, and take pictures while you are fighting! I am sure the Insurgents would love to pose for you! Hopefully you can pose him however you want, LMAO! Won't be a IWO JIMA FLAG raising, but nice for your "I love me albums" back home!

Just my thoughts Poolee,

Dave

LeonardLawrence
04-12-08, 09:54 AM
I stand by my fellow Marines with the wtf? and second the Chilli from the Chilli....

Also, in the back of my publically educated mind, I wonder...does a combat videographer film combat and would not that by the nature of the assignment be involved in combat.

Poolee- Research and post your MOS description for us.

dhenderson88
04-12-08, 03:11 PM
Summary. Combat videographers use video cameras and editing equipment in a variety of environments (including time of darkness and underwater) to support a wide range of requirements including: operational imagery, intelligence imagery, investigations, research, development and evaluation, recruiting, internal and external information efforts, etc. Performs video engineering, equipment inspections, preventive maintenance, visual and statistical quality control, captioning, archive accessioning, and video dubbing. Combat videography SNCOs draft reports, official correspondence and budgets, supervise an instruct personnel in the operation of all equipment and software related to MOS 4671, as well as supervising and organizing all aspects of video operations.

Thats the job description I found, again I wasn't asking what my job did I was simply asking if could volunteer for patrols which was kind of answered by davblay. Thank you for all the responses, well the ones directed towards my question at least.

Seyborg
04-12-08, 03:42 PM
Well I don't appreciate being talked down to.

I told you something that DID pertain to your question and if you weren't so damn high and mighty, you would've caught on.

You WILL be on patrols for SOME of your duty.

I am on the same level as you. Don't talk down to me.

Try that with a Marine. Get a attitude adjustment.

Seyborg
04-12-08, 03:46 PM

Sir, no disrespect meant!

I simply told him what I know.

My sources: google, the combat camera man "recruiting video", and quoting my career counseler at MEPs (I was offered this job).

Sorry for jumping the gun, just trying to help.

SGT7477
04-12-08, 06:44 PM
Seyborg wtf is going on,lmfao?

Seyborg
04-12-08, 07:38 PM
I goofed, I suppose, SIR!

I wanted to cite my sources so the Marines of this thread know I'm not blowin' smoke!

Just tryin' to be helpful.

SGT7477
04-12-08, 08:05 PM
Seyborg leave that to a Marine, when you become one of us you will understand,Carry On.

Seyborg
04-12-08, 08:12 PM
Yes Sir.

dhenderson88
04-13-08, 05:15 AM
Seyborg honestly where did I talk down to you? I don't believe I ever responded to one of your post besides saying that things could have changed since Vietnam. Your completly right when you say we're on the same level, so what is so wrong with waiting for someone who is above me to answer my question? I'm sorry if I offended you, It was completly accidental.

bgsuwoody
04-13-08, 10:28 AM
As far as wondering if you can volunteer for patrols and such...why not go Infantry, buy a camera to take with you, and take pictures while you are fighting! I am sure the Insurgents would love to pose for you! Hopefully you can pose him however you want, LMAO! Won't be a IWO JIMA FLAG raising, but nice for your "I love me albums" back home!

Oohrah to that...don't worry though I'll make your little movie look good!!!!!

chili77bowl
04-13-08, 11:06 AM
You should do a story on me...

'Cause I'm so damn Good!