PDA

View Full Version : Meeting with a recruiter if you aren't yet able to enlist?

NeedSomePT
04-10-08, 11:13 PM
I was talking to a female friend of mine online a few days ago. She is 17 years old and a junior but the end of junior year is in May. I jokingly said something like "You should join the Air Force...

rvillac2
04-10-08, 11:20 PM
The recruiters will talk to and welcome anyone that comes into the office. They are probably too busy to go out and fetch people that cannot sign up in the very near future. He can make time for her when it matters. Of course, she can always drop by on her own.

crazymjb
04-10-08, 11:39 PM
They can't sign her, but they can, and unless they are well past mission, should want to meet with her. I hang out at my recruiters constantly, follow all the inner workings and such, and they would jump on any of us bringing Juniors in. I was invited in and sat down for my interview February of Junior year, and I ship in less than 2 months.

Mike

NeedSomePT
04-11-08, 12:43 PM
Update in case anyone is interested.

I ran there (and back, woo about 6 miles!:banana: ) I hung around a bit reading some of their books and magazines, chatted around a bit and I asked again about my friend. He said they can "talk" to her like if she comes to one of the pool functions or something, but they can't "sit down and talk" and pull out all the packages and benefits and all that good stuff until she's a senior.

Can't say I like it, but he's the boss. Good to go.:thumbup:

Sam331
04-12-08, 01:59 AM
Well at 17 she's able to enlist, just depends how long it would take her to finish and achieve her HS diploma. At 17 she would also need parents signature allowing her to enlist. Guess its up to the recruiters discretion, whether or not he thinks this person is serious about joining. From personal experience (now im not trying to bash anyone or anything) but a lot of females that I see in the recruiting center ( 2 different recruiting stations) are usually one day all gung ho but never really take it serious. I dont know maybe its just the few females I've met but I've only seen 1 out of like 5 girls actually ship out or even DEP in, but the rest still hang around the recruiter daily. Spoke to a few, some just really dont have the determination to keep on themself and on their recruiter to get their paperwork done. If your friend is serious about enlisting and really wants it, then she should personally call the recruiter and show the initiative it goes a long way . If they say no to her I would keep bugging them lol. Sooner or later they will give in, if not you could always try a different recruiting station.

LeonardLawrence
04-12-08, 09:38 AM
Update in case anyone is interested.

I ran there (and back, woo about 6 miles!:banana: ) I hung around a bit reading some of their books and magazines, chatted around a bit and I asked again about my friend. He said they can "talk" to her like if she comes to one of the pool functions or something, but they can't "sit down and talk" and pull out all the packages and benefits and all that good stuff until she's a senior.

Can't say I like it, but he's the boss. Good to go.:thumbup:

Needsomept, please clarify. Was it 6 miles there or round trip?

It sounds like to me the issue, is that your recruiter can't make "deals" or "promises" to people who aren't ready to ship. The situation on the ground changes constantly with new bonuses, incentives, etc. Sounds like she should go to a function and get the general gouge...and the bug. :D

NeedSomePT
04-12-08, 10:54 AM
Needsomept, please clarify. Was it 6 miles there or round trip?

It sounds like to me the issue, is that your recruiter can't make "deals" or "promises" to people who aren't ready to ship. The situation on the ground changes constantly with new bonuses, incentives, etc. Sounds like she should go to a function and get the general gouge...and the bug. :D
6 miles round trip, lol. I wish I was able to run 6 miles twice, hell even be able to run it once:(

Yeah I want her to come to a function, the thing is she is in no shape. Not in a fat way, in a skinny way (not anorexic or anything either.) So she would either die at the pool function, fall out and feel like **** and probably never want to come back or just stand on the side watching which would be kind of pointless.
She says she's just going to wait two months until this school year ends and then go.

futuremarine129
04-12-08, 03:28 PM
My friend and I are both 16 and the recruiter has no problems talking to us. He even sent a fresh Marine who is doing recruiter assistance to pick us up to go to Bostonville Grille today. I couldn't make it but my friend was there, and he said it was great. That's besides the point, maybe the recruiter was just too busy that day.

Big Jim
04-12-08, 04:18 PM
6 miles round trip, lol. I wish I was able to run 6 miles twice, hell even be able to run it once:(

Yeah I want her to come to a function, the thing is she is in no shape. Not in a fat way, in a skinny way (not anorexic or anything either.) So she would either die at the pool function, fall out and feel like **** and probably never want to come back or just stand on the side watching which would be kind of pointless.
She says she's just going to wait two months until this school year ends and then go.

Thats really for the best that she waits anyway. It gives her a chance to mature up to her decision and let it sink in about her choice of joining. But, the recruiter does need to recruit and not waste his time on people he doesn't think that are going to sign anyway. Like he said, bring her over here to get her questions answered. Plus if she goes there when shes 18, its her decision and hers alone, no parents to contend with.

crazymjb
04-12-08, 04:21 PM
I was at the Bostonville grill event today, out of RSS Waltham. Are you my RSS or RSS North Boston?

Mike

NeedSomePT
04-12-08, 09:18 PM
Thats really for the best that she waits anyway. It gives her a chance to mature up to her decision and let it sink in about her choice of joining. But, the recruiter does need to recruit and not waste his time on people he doesn't think that are going to sign anyway. Like he said, bring her over here to get her questions answered. Plus if she goes there when shes 18, its her decision and hers alone, no parents to contend with.

I agree in a way.

I tell her "maybe the Marines are not for you" although I don't know how much weight that has since I have not been in yet.
She won't do any PT until she is sure she wants to do it. She also doesn't want to go reading every website there is, she wants the recruiter to tell her and then if she's interested she'll go look up stuff.
Maybe in the end she will be motivated and dedicated, but I'm not seeing any of that now.

Me I had been PTing and reading everything I could find before I even met with a recruiter. I guess everyone does things their own way.

I was at the Bostonville grill event today, out of RSS Waltham. Are you my RSS or RSS North Boston?

Mike

WHo the heck is this directed to?

NeedSomePT
04-12-08, 09:28 PM
My friend and I are both 16 and the recruiter has no problems talking to us. He even sent a fresh Marine who is doing recruiter assistance to pick us up to go to Bostonville Grille today. I couldn't make it but my friend was there, and he said it was great. That's besides the point, maybe the recruiter was just too busy that day.

I think maybe each RS or distric has a different policy.

They are pretty damn busy though. They're constantly on the phone, constantly calling, getting called. Driving left and right, attending events, picking up kids, dropping off kids.

Major respect to them all. They put up with a lot of bullcrap.

Smurf
04-20-08, 06:04 PM
Here is the thing, the recruiter can talk to her but even if she had her mind set that that is what she wanted to do, he wouldnt be able to really help her until she was 17(with parents consent) or 18. Plus on the right path to graduating high school! I myself am a female Marine and by the sounds of it she isnt too interested, but as her friend i would take her into the recruiting station, and let them talk with her a little bit. Then once she has decided on what she wants to do the recruiter already knows the situation. Plus the recruiter will keep her contact information for at least a year(if he is doing his job correctly)