PDA

View Full Version : USMC Bootcamp Advice by Sgt. Chris McIntosh

Adam1988
04-10-08, 01:04 PM
This was written by Sgt. McIntosh and edited by me.

In no particular order:

Study up to the moment you leave.

Sleep whenever you can but never when your not supposed to (snapping in will be your hardest challenge to stay awake - I focused on keeping others awake and this helped me stay awake - you’ll get real used to that feeling of your face not working right because it is so tired).

Listen to everything and everyone. Remember everything.

If needed, ask for help from your peers and if that doesn’t work - ask a DI, but be aware that you’ll bring down the pain when you do it - but at the same time, they will always make sure you really understand something.

Remember to laugh (on the inside) at all the silly **** that goes on. Smile to yourself late at night if you have to but I recommend waiting until you leave Boot before laughing or smiling.

Keep a record of highlights.

Be aggressive as hell (in everything). “One, Two, Three, Four, Attack the Chow Hall, Aye Sir!”

Remember that slow is smooth and smooth is fast (but still don’t take your ****ing time on anything).

Organize your footlocker and memorize where everything is inside it - you have no idea how much this will help you.

Always give Chesty and the Corps their dues (you’ll understand later).

If and when you feel like you had a rough day (and it will probably happen on many days), just remember why you are there.

Stay awake in classes (intentionally sitting uncomfortably or biting your cheek, etc helps ).

Don’t wear anything Marine Corps related to Boot or MEPS. Likewise, don’t get a high and tight or anything like that before you go. Unless you want to be the crazy recruit that wore a USMC shirt to boot camp ;)

Learn to use your peripheral vision (always look straight ahead - except when you need to look around - then do it real quick).

Three to a ****er.

IT (or IPT) inside the squad bay is MUCH worse than when outside (pray it doesn’t happen often).

Go for squad leader or guide (squad leader being the better of the two as you will learn how to march with a rifle).

Make sure ALL your **** is squared away before you sleep - if you know **** is not perfect ask one of the firewatches to wake you up so you can finish after lights out.

Don’t be a house mouse or scribe. When the DIs ask for anyone with college experience (even if you have it), do NOT raise your hand. Being a house mouse will grant you lots of free **** but everyone will look down on you because you get out of everything.

Likewise, try to be the scribe's best friend.

Take the time (usually at night) to adjust your field gear so that it is mildly comfortable. I remember my gear being painful when I was in Boot, but then after being with my unit, how much more comfortable it was when properly adjusted. It is worth 20 minutes of no sleep to have a ruck that fits.

During Swim Quals, swim like a mother ****er - even if you can’t swim well - do NOT freak out when the helmet (which is always too large) covers your face - there is still plenty of air between your mouth and the inside of the helmet - just relax and breath. They will not let you drown. Also, when swimming with a pack and gear, remember that it takes it all a few seconds to float - it’s not like a life jacket.

When humping, learn to sleep - just keep moving your legs.

When humping up a hill, remember to straighten your leg all the way out (you will be going quick, but it will save you a lot of muscle and knee wear and tear). In other words, take the regular step, but then as you shift your weight make sure you fully extend your leg.

If you **** up, admit it and move on - DO NOT LIE or they will crucify you.

It is faster to pull your blouse over the top of your head than to button and unbutton it. Once you get to ITB/MCT start unbuttoning it again or you'll get laughed at.

Horde boot bands and always keep a spare or two somewhere on your body. If you see one in the dirt and have time to get it, grab that ****er.

When they say clean, they mean clean at the atomic level. If you think you’re done, you’re not, do it better.

Practice sitting criss-cross, left leg on top for extended periods of time.

Likewise, practice kneeling on gravel for extended periods of time.

Pay attention to the details - especially **** that the DIs specifically tell you to do (where your shower shoes go for example - that **** better be ****ing perfect).

Try to get the bottom bunk - that extra 0.25 seconds of sleep counts (I was on the top bunk and missed out on nearly a minute and a half of sleep in Boot.)

No matter if you are doing something right, you are wrong - just get used to the idea now.

Receiving (the first few days) is actually pretty easy - just pay attention. There is very little physical work at this time so enjoy the break.

**** at night.

Whenever you get a chance, put the first one or two combination numbers into your lock so that the third one is ready to go (saves you another few seconds).

Help the Marines around you (especially in keeping them awake as you will be punished if you are close and did nothing.)

Learn how to tie a half and full Windsor knot (and be able to **** it out in a nanosecond.)

Never say anything quietly (always use your outside voice) when talking to or around DIs.

If your boots don’t fit right, TELL SOMEONE - don’t try to suck it up to seem hard - the only thing that will happen is you will increase your odds of not graduating because of injury. Don’t be foolish. There are times for hardcore ****, but this ain’t one of them.

When exposed to CS, enjoy the experience. Breathe as close to regular as you can (but mostly through your nose). Only try to look through one eye (unless they catch you). When you get out of the chamber, do NOT touch anything on your skin - especially your eyes and nose. The pleasant tingling will pass quickly enough (unless you rub it in). Also, it will absolutely NOT kill you no matter how much you breathe it (this kind of becomes a “battle” after you get to your unit to see who can stand it the longest). Remember that the chamber is designed to be “fun.”

Water IT sucks more than anything else. “Drink, drink, drink. You have 30 seconds to go to the head and refill it. Drink, drink, drink.” God, I hated that.

Grenades are not “fun” and will kill you if you are stupid. Don’t try to look and see what the explosion looks like - Call Of Duty 4 is close enough.

When you get homesick (which is a normal psychological response), just remember that you are not a little kid any more and that you are becoming a man. Life at home wasn’t that good anyway.

If you are dating someone before you go it, break off the relationship. It will be much easier to deal with. She’ll probably cheat on you anyway. Then again, if you don’t break up, she will be the 1 in a million that does not cheat on you - so you can focus on becoming a Marine.

SOI or MCT is much harder than Boot (at least physically.)

When you’re tired and your pussy hurts, take a Motrin and rub some dirt on it.

When the corpsmen are giving shots, don’t move.

Know these inside and out, forwards and backward, out of order, and when first waking up: US Marine Corp Rank, Marines Hymn, USMC Core Values, M16A4 Rifle Characteristics, General Orders, Code of Conduct (UCMJ)

“Too slow, get back,” sounds like fun, but begins to suck after 3 times. “Aye, sir!”

Don’t bring a Jelly Donut.

Don’t get tunnel vision – even when you’re being yelled at, listen and observe **** that is going on around you.

NEVER EVER EVER talk back to a DI. You will ALWAYS be wrong. “Aye, sir,” is the only response you need to know.

Keep in mind, that Boot Camp is not designed to weed out those that are not physically fit, but rather it is to prevent weak-willed or weak-minded people from becoming Marines. The PT is important, but it’s your mental toughness that will either make or break you.

It is much better to be dead than someone that was “almost a Marine” or “Has a cousin that’s a Marine” or “dropped out of Boot Camp because I didn’t like it"

mrines14
04-10-08, 01:18 PM
When the DIs ask for anyone with college experience (even if you have it), do NOT raise your hand.

This is one section, I'd probably couldn't do, not raise my hand, when asked if I have exp. when I do? Anyone else agree?

sparkie
04-10-08, 02:42 PM
This is one section, I'd probably couldn't do, not raise my hand, when asked if I have exp. when I do? Anyone else agree?

Like being special? Looking to enjoy the hatred? Hope you sleep well after lights out. LOL

buick233
04-10-08, 03:33 PM
Great post. Thanks!

Zulu 36
04-10-08, 07:00 PM
I didn't volunteer to be scribe. In fact, I got hired because I didn't have college (they were "educated idiots" according to my DIs). However, I don't remember getting out of much fun and games as a result. In fact, I recall being allowed to run more than everyone else because my duties usually made me late to formations and I had to run to catch up to the platoon.

Then, of course, the teasing from the DI for being "the afternoon shift" or whatever when I finally caught up (actually that part was pretty funny).

I was excused from standing firewatch along with the guide, squad leaders, and King Rat, but then we all got up earlier than the rest of the platoon so we were dressed, rack squared away, and ready to work when the lights came on. In the long term, we lost more sleep than the watchstanders did.

SlingerDun
04-10-08, 07:18 PM
It is much better to be dead than someone that was “almost a Marine” ...Nawww

Reagan
04-13-08, 05:00 PM
I love lists of bootcamp advice like this. Gonna bookmark this and read it over until I remember it. Thanks for posting it!

Reagan
04-13-08, 05:05 PM
Actually I do have one question related to this. If your boots don't fit, who exactly should you tell? And will they really provide you with a different sized pair? I don't doubt you of course, I just wanna know as much about it as I can since it's so insanely vital to keep your feet in working order.

sparkie
04-13-08, 05:06 PM
Talk to your DI. Ask to trade with him.

Adam1988
04-14-08, 04:22 PM
Actually I do have one question related to this. If your boots don't fit, who exactly should you tell? And will they really provide you with a different sized pair? I don't doubt you of course, I just wanna know as much about it as I can since it's so insanely vital to keep your feet in working order.

a "receiving DI" is the one that gets you all of your issued gear, he even asked each one of us individually if it fit

some recruits were too scared to say no

just say no if it doesnt

Zulu 36
04-14-08, 04:32 PM
Sparkie, you're such a troublemaker. :marine:

Yes, by all means, if you are asked by the Receiving DI if your stuff fits, and it doesn't, tell the man. He may not really act like he cares, but they really do want you to have correctly fitting gear, especially boots.

BadJustice
04-14-08, 04:40 PM
Good to know about the boots thing. I probablywould have been to scared to say no. Thank you for the list sir!

BR34
04-14-08, 06:05 PM
Contrary to popular belief, your Drill Instructors WILL take care of you. They won't have you running around the Depot with boots that don't fit, because then it'll be their asses when you develope some sort of foot injury because of them. Don't hesitate to talk to one of your D.I.s about things like that.

Talk to your DI. Ask to trade with him.

One of my D.I.s actually did wear my boots once. I forget what the event was, but he had to look good, we wore the same size, and I obviously had brand new boots. Worked out for him.

BR34
04-14-08, 06:13 PM
This was written by Sgt. McIntosh and edited by me.

In no particular order:

Three to a ****er.
I'd like to revise this statement, as I've actually witnessed 4 recruits using one port-o-jon.

When humping, learn to sleep - just keep moving your legs.

Believe it or not, I dozed off on a hump, then I learned that drinking hot sauce from a MRE is a good way to stay awake while humping, and it packs big flavor!!

Reagan
04-14-08, 06:35 PM
Ah, good to know that I can switch out improperly sized boots then. Thank you for the info!

And for the Tabasco sauce tip too. I'll remember that one.

Wyoming
04-14-08, 08:26 PM
Whenever you get a chance, put the first one or two combination numbers into your lock so that the third one is ready to go (saves you another few seconds).

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!

That is one of the oldest tricks in the books.

You want your gear dumped on the deck?

Along with everyone else's gear, who had, and used the dumb ass trick, and had all their gear in the same jumbled pile.

BTDT!!

Adam1988
04-15-08, 05:02 PM
Actually it does work, just don't leave it on the 3rd combination, leave it on the 2nd one so you only have to move it to the 3rd :)

If you don't get it it's because your DI's will pull your locks all the time to make sure they're locked.

Donut Brigade
04-17-08, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, Marine.

Drock54
05-06-08, 08:38 AM
What should our boots fit like? Should they fit like a shoe or differently?

AustinOverton
05-06-08, 09:10 AM
Amazing advice... and a lot of questions cleared up. I really appreciate it, thanks!

Drock: I would suggest heading to a Military Surplus store and just try some boots out, this way you may even be able to get your size down if it is different for boots than it is for shoes.

BR34
05-06-08, 11:03 AM
Actually it does work, just don't leave it on the 3rd combination, leave it on the 2nd one so you only have to move it to the 3rd :)

If you don't get it it's because your DI's will pull your locks all the time to make sure they're locked.

This is why we always had to have our locks on zero, ALL THE TIME. And one of firewatches' few duties was to ensure all locks were set to whatever our Kill Hat thought was a good number.

Quinbo
05-06-08, 12:41 PM
As far as the boots go.

Unless things have really changed we had a nightly inspection right before lights out. When the drill instructor steps in front of you you give a report. Sir this recruit has no medical or personal problems to report at this time. This is your chance to say your boots don't fit. You get that chance nearly every day, and they expect you to be forthright and honost when giving the report. You will probably get the 3rd degree but you will also get a different pair of boots. There is a thing which you will find out about later called recruit interviews ;)

BR34
05-06-08, 06:14 PM
As far as the boots go.

Unless things have really changed we had a nightly inspection right before lights out. When the drill instructor steps in front of you you give a report. Sir this recruit has no medical or personal problems to report at this time. This is your chance to say your boots don't fit. You get that chance nearly every day, and they expect you to be forthright and honost when giving the report. You will probably get the 3rd degree but you will also get a different pair of boots. There is a thing which you will find out about later called recruit interviews ;)
Sgt., the inspections are still done, but they are MUCH less formal than what you described.

When leaving the head after shower/shaving we had to step in front of the D.I. unwrap the towel from around our waist, look up at that sky, and turn in a circle, saying the exact same phrase you remember, while the D.I. inspected us.

I always felt sorry for the D.I.s for having to look at 70 dicks and asses...but I guess somebody has got to do it.

SlingerDun
05-07-08, 05:40 PM
I stood on a foot locker in boxer skivvies and never dropped em for hygiene inspection nor did anyone else
When leaving the head after shower/shaving we had to step in front of the D.I. unwrap the towel from around our waist, look up at that sky, and turn in a circle, saying the exact same phrase you remember, while the D.I. inspected usWTF they looking for, berries? http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

SGT7477
05-07-08, 06:51 PM
Sgt., the inspections are still done, but they are MUCH less formal than what you described.

When leaving the head after shower/shaving we had to step in front of the D.I. unwrap the towel from around our waist, look up at that sky, and turn in a circle, saying the exact same phrase you remember, while the D.I. inspected us.

I always felt sorry for the D.I.s for having to look at 70 dicks and asses...but I guess somebody has got to do it.
The DI's never checked us like that they looked at our hands and ears,lol.:flag:

AndreBlanks
05-08-08, 07:00 PM
I know it sounds like a goofy question but when you do the PFT--is the 3 miles run on normal asphault road or that shredded tire stuff that made up your high school track?

BR34
05-09-08, 05:48 AM
It's on a road. A road with nice scenery if you go to P.I.

Chumley
05-09-08, 07:24 AM
What should our boots fit like? Should they fit like a shoe or differently?

Boots like all shoes should not be too big or small. A little wiggle room and no serious pinching. Uniform issue goes really fast. They can tell you if your cover, blouse, and trousers fit, but you must tell them if the boots are good or not.

I did not have this advice when I went in, and my boots were a size too big. Being stupid, I did not speak up. The crease of the boot folded across the knuckle of my big toe on my right foot first. I had no skin there for six weeks until the boot finally softened to my foot and the callous healed. Then the left foot follow suit, just when I thought it was over - that toe healed about a week before graduation.

I did not get dropped. I did not quit. I had bloody socks through most of boot. I still have the same boots, just because I'm sentimental. However, I was stupid and I hope you will learn from my poor decision. The first thing I did after Boot was unscrew myself with good jungle boots. There is enough pain and discomfort in Boot Camp by design, so don't create more than you are issued.

I have a nice scar down the middle of my back from the rifle range too. I was in the pits working the targets. I was called to the control shack, and when I returned to my position I jumped back up and I cought the corner of the metal frame down my spine. My senior saw it in the next health and comfort inspection and asked why I didn't report it. I told him it didn't hurt. He said I would have a nasty scar and should have told a DI sooner.

I kinda like that scar - good times.
C

CHOPPER7199
05-09-08, 08:02 AM
Ah, The Pits And All Them Maggies Drawers. Brings Back Them Mems.

Quinbo
05-09-08, 08:38 AM
Shoot .... they don't even use lollipops in the pitts anymore.

Chumley
05-09-08, 08:39 AM
What do they use now?

Quinbo
05-09-08, 08:51 AM
There is a system using spotters ....all 4 corners to indicate the score. So you yank down the target, put in the shot spotter and the scoring spotter then run it up. No lollipop.

davblay
05-09-08, 09:36 AM
In 1969 when I went thru we had one DI that insisted on adjusting the water temperatures from the rafters of the shower house. He'd climb up there and turn it from hot to cold, back and forth until he said get out.

After the 2nd week we picked up a new DI....rumor had it that the old one was a queer. :sick: But who knows, anyway that all changed after he left. we stood on our foot lockers like on FMJ from then on.

Dave

BR34
05-09-08, 09:47 PM
If you're talking about the giant wooden sticks with the red circular piece of wood attached to the top, used in the pits, they're still in use today, or atleast they were when I was at PI in March 07.

Quinbo
05-10-08, 06:42 AM
Darn it. I made the statement based on how they are doing it at Quantico and have no idea if it is Marine Corps wide. My bust.