PDA

View Full Version : Lejeune pronounced 'Leh-Jern'

95Mustang03
04-10-08, 12:10 PM
Did anyone have an opportunity to read the article in April 08 Leatherneck about the correct pronunciation of General Lejeune's name? I had always heard some of the old time Marines saying "Leh-jern", turns out they are right. It was also some pretty neat news to find out that we have some of his descendants serving in the Corps today.

So what I was looking to find out, is how all the Marines out there pronounce the Lejeune name. Even now that I know the correct way, it will be hard to undo 13 years as well as explain to everyone that corrects me that I am in fact correct in my pronunciation.

SgtThrasher
04-10-08, 12:26 PM
Did anyone have an opportunity to read the article in April 08 Leatherneck about the correct pronunciation of General Lejeune's name? I had always heard some of the old time Marines saying "Leh-jern", turns out they are right. It was also some pretty neat news to find out that we have some of his descendants serving in the Corps today.

So what I was looking to find out, is how all the Marines out there pronounce the Lejeune name. Even now that I know the correct way, it will be hard to undo 13 years as well as explain to everyone that corrects me that I am in fact correct in my pronunciation.

Camp Lejeune will always be pronounced the way I heard
it when I arrived there in the 60's and will forever more
be so,but I was unaware Gen,Lejeune's name was
pronounced 'Leh- Jern".Thanks for the info, Sir.

Marine 2929
09-23-09, 06:35 PM
Marines

Marine 2929
09-23-09, 06:37 PM
<O:p> </O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
In answer to many Marines, who became confused on General Lejeune name ( luh -jern)<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
It is incontrovertibly spoken LUH – JERN all 200 plus family descendants and over two hundred s year have so pronounced - just like the “R” in Colonel.<O:p></O:p>
Visit www.YouTube.com (http://www.YouTube.com) and view Marine Barracks 2929 for the correct gouge<O:p></O:p>
It is about respect for a Marine who saved the Corps not to mention our birthday tradition, MCL, MCA, FMF and many other achievements which we all inherited…. amen<O:p></O:p>

sparkie
09-23-09, 07:54 PM
Kearny mesa, in San diego is more right to be pronounced Karny mesa,,,,,,, so says the family. Bacardi family says Bakardy,,,,,,,,, as in back..... Cabrirro Point in San Deigo is actually Cabrillo 'cause he was Portiguese. Life goes on,,,,,,,,

Marine 2929
09-23-09, 10:09 PM

You are rock hard correct General lejeune is pronounce luh - jern.

It is about respect; Marines can handle it.

Check JAL's awesome history.

S/Fi,

P T Hawaii

Marine 2929
09-23-09, 10:12 PM
You are rock hard correct General lejeune is pronounce luh - jern.

It is about respect; Marines can handle it.

Check JAL's awesome history.

S/Fi,

P T Hawaii
Marine

Visit www.YouTube.com and view Marine Barracks 2929 for the correct gouge.