PDA

View Full Version : Annapolis

Auwe76
04-10-08, 12:25 AM
Howdy!
So I've been basically doing nothing as of the past few months (moved, ergo had to leave college). And I was wondering, considering my background -which I'll get to in a moment- what can I do to go to Annapolis for a Commission?

Background:
-Completed the C.H.S.P.E.(California High School Proficiency Exam at 17, which is equivalent to high school diploma), however my grades when I was in "normal" high school werent great.
-Havent taken Sat, Act, or any other synonomous test.
-I've taken one semester of college, with a 2.0 gpa, but like I said I moved so I couldnt go there any longer

So nothing spectacular, but I've decided that I want to go to annapolis to become a Marine officer. And as far as I have researched... I can either, enlist and join annapolis after reaching a certain grade and being recommended, go the NROTC route, or make a time machine and kick my former self's ass for slacking off. So would someone please enlighten me as to what I need to do to go to annapolis?

Respectfully,
A.West

JoeInVille
04-10-08, 12:56 AM
I hate to say it man, but im sure Annapolis is pretty elite. I dont know if you have the grade qualifications to get in there.
Here is a website that can help you out: http://www.ehow.com/how_2040256_apply-naval-academy.html

Hologram
04-10-08, 01:04 AM
Well, I dunno about your high school record, but you're definitely not getting in with a college GPA of 2.0. Think about it, the military academies are some of the most intellectually elite universities in the country, and on top of all that you get military training when you're not studying. I'm sorry, but you're not getting a recommendation from a U.S. Congressman with your current record.

That doesn't mean, however, that there aren't other options. There's always MCP or BOOST. Or you can apply for PLC.

As for NROTC, I don't know if you can do that program if you already have a year or two down in college, but I'm sure you can ask.

And then there's always the battlefield commission if you're a really ****ing good NCO and an officer in your chain of command thinks that you'd be a greater asset as an officer.

Auwe76
04-10-08, 01:10 AM
Oh i know that I wouldnt get a recommendation from a senator, my educational background is lackluster, at best. My thought was that I could enlist, and then attempt to go for Annapolis, because the way it stands right now, I'm mediocre, to put it nicely. However I do have it in me to succeed, I (for reasons unknown to me) just haven't. And I DO WANT IT. Would you mind explaining those programs to me?

JoeInVille
04-10-08, 01:20 AM
PLC (this is what I suggest and was going to do)-http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinetrng/a/marineplc.htm

NROTC-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Reserve_Officer_Training_Corps

Boost- http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinereg/blmco1560-24d.htm

MCP-
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinejoin/a/usmcofficer_3.htm

Battlefield Commission-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_commission

JoeInVille
04-10-08, 01:27 AM
Oh wait!
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinejoin/a/usmcofficer.htm

This has basically all the options that you can do to become a Marine officer you just have to flip through the pages.

Auwe76
04-10-08, 01:43 AM
thank you JoeInVille and Hologram for the information! However... from what I understand, these programs don't really allow me to go to Annapolis and get a commission from there... Or am I mistaken? So to further the question, since from what I understand, I cant get to annapolis from being a civi; if I enlisted, would that allow me to attend Annapolis-providing I put in the work and qualified? Is there a program that allows enlisted men to attend Annapolis?

rvillac2
04-10-08, 03:51 AM
Building the time machine is your only option.

Battlefield commission? somebody's been watching too many movies.

Annapolis (that's with a capital A) is tough for even the brightest of students. Any Marine that would even be considered for going to USNA would be so sh_t hot that his urine would shine brass. You can bet that a Marine of that caliber wouldn't dare let himself get a 2.0 in anything.

It's nice to have dreams, kid. Should have had this one when you were 15.

And by the way: Lt. Isrowei was an NCO and now a USNA grad.

Seyborg
04-10-08, 08:42 AM
Annapolis is out of your reach at this point. I'm not trying to bog you down.

BUT

Go to college if you want to be an officer! Lots of things you can do. The Naval academy isn't your only route to success!

davblay
04-10-08, 09:36 AM
thank you JoeInVille and Hologram for the information! However... from what I understand, these programs don't really allow me to go to Annapolis and get a commission from there... Or am I mistaken? So to further the question, since from what I understand,I cant get to annapolis from being a civi; if I enlisted, would that allow me to attend Annapolis-providing I put in the work and qualified? Is there a program that allows enlisted men to attend Annapolis?
Lets see you have a diploma from other than a public High School, you had a 2.0 GPA..........and is it possible to get into Annapolis?

Well lets see if you qualify. If you;

A) Know GOD personally?
B) Know the President personally?
C) Know several Senior Senators and Congressmen?
D) Can you walk on water?
E) Can you heal the sick and wounded?
F) Are on a first name beses with the Commandant!
G) Re write the rules of engagment in warfare that DOD will approve!

Now I am no Rocket scientist, but if you can answer "YES" do any two of the above, and maybe a few more, then I would say you might, just might, get into the Acadamy!

Having said that, I was a recruiter and as part of my duties I had to screen out potentiel Officer Material and refer them to the Officer Recruiters. My record for recommendations was 99% approval rate (no bragging). But from what you told in our post is not impressive. No offence son, but your "GOOD INTENTIONS", ever how admirable they may be, are not enough to qualify you as an Officer Candidate in any program I know of at this point in your career.

MY suggestion, if you want this in your future, go enlisted if you qualify, and (if you graduate Boot Camp) be a "stand out" Marine. Get noticed by the right people, your Cmpany Gunny, 1st SGT, etc..

Good luck to you in your career choice, I truly hope you find what you are looking for. Work hard to become a Marine first, then worry about the other IF you succeed as a Marine enlisted man first.

That's from my personal experience, take as you may!

Dave

mrines14
04-10-08, 09:43 AM
I'm curious, how can you go to a legit, accrediated college/university, without taking the ACT or SAT?

Artemis
04-10-08, 10:03 AM
I'm curious, how can you go to a legit, accrediated college/university, without taking the ACT or SAT?

You take an entrance exam to see if you have the intellect to go to college.

phantasm
04-10-08, 10:05 AM

I've never taken the SAT or ACT and currently have an AS and am almost finished my BS.

How did I do it? Simple, I spent some time on active duty first then found a college that waived the test scores if you were out of high school for x amount of years.

In my case, I started college out at Montana State University in Bozeman MT. After a semester, I transferred to a community college and completed my AS. My intent was to stay at MSU, but I was unable to return for personal reasons.

Hologram
04-10-08, 10:34 AM
Building the time machine is your only option.

Battlefield commission? somebody's been watching too many movies.

Annapolis (that's with a capital A) is tough for even the brightest of students. Any Marine that would even be considered for going to USNA would be so sh_t hot that his urine would shine brass. You can bet that a Marine of that caliber wouldn't dare let himself get a 2.0 in anything.

It's nice to have dreams, kid. Should have had this one when you were 15.

And by the way: Lt. Isrowei was an NCO and now a USNA grad.Sir, I didn't say it was likely, I was just helping him realize all of his options. But you're right sir, he doesn't have a whole lot of them at this point.

rvillac2
04-10-08, 11:26 AM
F) Are on a first name beses with the Commandant!

Dave,
I only qualify for F. He calls me Renato. I call him General.

Auwe76
04-10-08, 02:27 PM
Thank you all for your responses. And I am well aware of the requirements (my uncle went to annapolis), I just wanted to know if it was possible from enlistment, and from I understand it is.... So I'm going to try, and pray 'cause Im going to need it lol. And if it's possible, I want it as my long term goal. If I finish boot, and If I'm good enough, and with A LOT of luck, I am going to try to achieve it. And again, thank you for your responses.

Also, I know this is a newb question, but that's what the forum's for I think;
what would make me a "stand out" Marine?

phantasm
04-10-08, 02:36 PM
My guess would be to shoot expert, have a first class PFT score and have all you knowledge down pat. Also, top of your class in MOS school, go to guy for job specific knowledge once you hit the fleet. Also, no NJP's or anything negative against you.

Hologram
04-10-08, 11:24 PM
My guess would be to shoot expert, have a first class PFT score and have all you knowledge down pat. Also, top of your class in MOS school, go to guy for job specific knowledge once you hit the fleet. Also, no NJP's or anything negative against you.That and show lots of leadership skills, even before you make Corporal.

But keep in mind, Annapolis isn't the only way to get commissioned. You can go to any accredited school and apply for PLC (or NROTC if there's a program at the school). But keep in mind, you're going to have to apply yourself much more than you have been. The Marine Corps does not want lazy asses and slackers to lead the finest fighting group in the world.