PDA

View Full Version : Marines train at Fort Harrison for Iraq duty

thedrifter
04-09-08, 01:19 PM
Marines train at Fort Harrison for Iraq duty

Posted: April 9, 2008 10:07 AM

Updated: April 9, 2008 10:07 AM

Members of Montana's only Marine Corps Reserve Unit are in Helena preparing for a deployment to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Delta Company is a unit of the nation's only Marine Corps anti-terrorism battalion, which consists of units from Montana, Alabama, Louisiana, Alaska and Massachusetts.

This is the first time they've all been together, which means more obstacles for training.

"Everybody's got their own different ways of doing things whether in training or whatnot" explains

Major Arcelio Albizo of the U.S. Marine Corps Anti-Terrorism Battalion. "A big part of this is not only doing the training but building unit cohesion. Bringing this group together so they feel as one team and not five different groups."

While learning to act as one team, the Marines will also go through their annual training as well as premobilization training.

"It's kind of a big deal for them. We're doing the Marine Corps training but we also brought in some civilian contractors to give 'em a taste of some other things that they don't normally do" says Captain William Gordon. "Try to keep the motivation level high."

The team will be deployed to Camp Pendleton in California this summer, where they'll go through a few more months of training before leaving for Iraq.

For some who've trained for years but not been deployed yet, this is a nerve-racking dream come true.

"I feel a little nervous about it, I feel good about it. It's what I want to do. I've trained for four years" comments Andrew Lindholm. "It's kind of like football players who train for the Superbowl. You kind of want to make it their and see how you'll do."

The Marines are learning everything from medical training to shooting to how to identify an IED, or improvised explosive device. The group will train for everything they are likely to face in Iraq.

Captain Gordon says even though they only have six days left at Fort Harrison, the Marine Corps never stops training.

Ellie