PDA

View Full Version : Finally In! Oorah!

CrazyBrave83
04-23-03, 09:54 PM
Hey everyone...
You guys may remember me, I posted here somewhat frequently many months back. Well I'll give you a condensed story. I had always dreamed of being a Marine (since 3rd grade). Come junior year in HS, that dream was close to becoming. I was ready to sign my papers, when I had a knee injury. I was Informally disqualified (by my recruiter, not by MEPS). To say the least, I was crushed for the longest time. But I wouldn't let it get me. I worked out a lot...lost 45 lbs...worked the knee...then contacted my new recruiter about enlisting. The knee was cleared and I went to MEPS. The time at MEPS took a lot out of me, I had to get consults with doctors over my knee, the CMO was skeptical...but...
I MADE IT! I am now a Marine Recruit...and I owe it to every one of you...even if I haven't met you. You people (enlisted, officers, even recruits...or avid fans) are the lifeblood of the Marine Corps...and I'm glad to finally say that I am right on the edge of the dream...and hope to hold the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor soon.

I know many Marines have a problem with us recruits saying it...
But I just can't hold it back...

SEMPER FI!:marine:

firstsgtmike
04-24-03, 02:37 AM
Sully,

I remember. I didn't respond to your posts because all that had to be said, was said. You got a full briefing from Sixguns.

If I were you, I'd want to contact the original Recruiter who informally disqualified me and bring him up to speed.

I have a few points to make, that may help you, and others understand.

Recruiters are Marines, first, last, and always, but they are also human beings. And in a sense, the Recruiter's office is an employment agency. "Do I want to hire this guy to work in my company or not?"

From your posts, motivation and desire certainly came through. There was also the need to lose 45 pounds. So I'm not sure of the impression you made on him. Also, the fact that he was ending his tour, perhaps he did not want to saddle his replacement with an immediate problem.

It's unbelievable how far some Recruiters will go and do whatever it takes to assist someone they want in Our Corps.
I could tell you a hundred stories, and most of them would sound self serving, so I choose to pass. Suffice it to say, there were VERY few rejections of those I wanted in My Corps, be it by District HQ or CMC.

On the other hand, there were others I provided with a "do it yourself" kit. "This is what you need, this is what you will have to do, come back and see me when it is done." And many times I was surprised when they did come back, and it was done. THEN I went to work for them.

Recruiters are not doctors. Obviously physically disqualified, have the door closed instantly. Blind, one armed, one legged, etc. comes immediately to mind.

In most other cases, where a physical condition was expressed to me, I advised complete medical documentation be provided at MEPS (It was AFEES back in my time.) I would also include in the kids package a note to the Marine laision at MEPS/AFEES to make sure the medical condition was reported.

Disqualification, either final, or with the suggestion of applying for a waiver was left up to the medically qualified people.

And yes, there were times I would work with a kid who had been shortchanged by another Marine Recruiter who didn't want to go the extra mile for him. And yes, there were kids I sluffed off who found a rapport with another Marine Recruiter.

But also, MANY of the ones I sluffed off ended up in a lesser branch of service.

You walked the extra miles by yourself. You did it! If you can find the original Rercriter, let him know. All of us need to be reminded at times that we are NOT God.

Good on ya, son. Sometimes we walk taller when we go the extra mile ourselves and didn't need anyone pushing and poking us.

You've given a lot of people in this forum a heavy dose of motivation.

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

wrbones
04-24-03, 03:33 AM
I remember you Sully! Well Done! When ya headed fer recruit training?

Ya already know we got a buncha stuff on the site for ya, so I won't rag on ya about that!

Keep the faith and keep working! 45 pounds. Damn. That's a lot of work!

Barndog
04-24-03, 04:26 AM
I had a kid like that in town here that was blown off by a recruiter in the same manner - only it wasn't over a knee issue.
It was a personality issue. The recruiter is ADHD.

He about crapped himself when I pointed that out to him in his office one morning.

22DevilPup87
04-24-03, 06:33 AM
Congrats!

You're motivatin'!

CrazyBrave83
04-24-03, 08:02 PM
Hey guys...
Thanks a lot for the praise. First off the 45 lbs. lost wasn't NEEDED, I lost it partially to be well under my ship weight but also to be in better shape...to better myself.
FirstSgtMike, thanks a lot, I never once considered my recruiter at fault for anything. In fact...I was happy he pushed me aside. Because the Marines aren't "The Few, The Proud" without a rigid selection process. So besides "Motivated", "Gung-Ho", I consider myself "Lucky" to be in the DEP now.

And I thank you all.
USMCRC Gave me a date of December 2003...I'm going 0300 and supposedly they're pretty full. So December 2003 is my ship month...but I may push it up closer.

Oorah!:marine:

Sixguns
04-28-03, 04:39 PM
See?? What did I tell you?

Enlisting as a Marine is tough, but if you are disciplined, you can make a case for yourself. Glad I was able to help you out and glad to know my advise is sound and on target. Please do not hold any recruiter accountable for your earlier "disqualification." They are trained to do "eyeball screening" and as has been said here before, they do not have time to waste or spare to be a personal trainer for an applicant. As a seasoned recruiter and NCOIC, I have seen this evolution before. Recruiters have many other mission tasks and trying to qualified the "obviously" unqualified is not on the list. I take the time because I know with the right guidance an assistance, you can do they work to get yourself qualified or at least considered for enlistment.

Congratulations and don't squander the opportunity.

SF,

CrazyBrave83
05-01-03, 04:50 PM
Thank You Sixguns...both for your advice and your service to your Country and your Corps. You're truly an inspiration to a Poolee such as me. Good luck as a Civvie.

:rambo:

Sixguns
05-01-03, 05:00 PM
We all revert back to being a civilian!!!

Thanks and again, congratulations.

immaproshooter
05-02-03, 12:43 AM
but you will always be a marine sixguns, wether retired, or dead, you will always be a marine, and never forgotten