PDA

View Full Version : Are all Marines Equal 2

outlaw3179
04-07-08, 04:27 PM
This is also kind of like Blackhearts question. My friend is a reservist , always has been. But he is on his 2nd deployment now and I can tell you that he and his unit do way more than one weekend a month 2 weeks a year. The question always comes though, what do you guys think of reservists?

Ill tell you how I feel . When I was in the fleet I hated them. I thought all they did was toys for tots, and had the easiest job. Got to call themself Marine even though they were only part time. When I became a reservist I realized they do more than just toys for tots and were some of the best Marines I have ever served with.

Are they real Marines? I have heard from many Marines that they hate reservists and they are not real Marines. I think my friends that are deployed right now on their 2nd deployment would disagree. They are some of the finest Marines I have ever served with and love nothing more than to be deployed with them right now, but life takes you on separte journeys. Semper Fi.

So the question is , Are reservists real Marines?

outlaw3179
04-07-08, 04:31 PM
I guess the real question is not wether or not they are real Marines, but are all Marines truly equal?

Heres an example

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28853&highlight=Marine+reservists

jaythestar
04-07-08, 04:37 PM
There is only one breed and that is the Marine breed. Reservist, active duty, whatever. I got out a few years ago and I am trying to get back in the reserves. Not because of money, but because, I miss it desparatley. Reservists are reservists for a reason. be it for personal or financial, or maybe they just didnt want to do the full time active duty but either way they are Marines just the same.

thewookie
04-07-08, 04:44 PM
As long as they earned the title they get the same basic respect from me. Where it goes from there depends on how they act. But it's still ten times more then any person from any branch or any walk of life. Sure, some guys did the reserve thing but the bottom line is they knew they could be called, and most nowadays are getting the call, and sometimes more then once. Being any Marine is way better then being anything else.

I feel like if guys need to dwell on those things then they need to get a better grasp on the big picture. A lot of Marines act tough guy and talk down about reservist, and some just like the pogues that earn their title, do in-fact suck wind. But when you really drill into the subject it's not what really matters.

What matters is they earned the title and many a reservist has kicked some azz when called upon.

Blackheart1
04-07-08, 05:01 PM
Outlaw,

You said it better than I did. That is my question, are all marines equal. The question I was asking myself. I know the question triggered some deep thought for me. I thought it would be a good thread.

SlingerDun
04-07-08, 06:50 PM
One of the most Gungy Marines i've met was a former customer of nine years who recently cashed in and was a twenty year E-6 reservists postal clerk and a retired civilian postal employee. When he could no longer take care of himself his wife and children began to liquidate his assets to pay bills which is expected but what appeared to break his heart was when they cleaned out his 'Junk" Marine Corps coffee mugs, ash trays, various memorabilia. His granddaughter thinks thats what finally knocked him off.

greybeard
04-07-08, 11:35 PM
Been out of the loop for a while now, (no internet for 18 months) but from what I've seen on TV and newspaper, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of difference nowdays. May get called to go--may not, but they are ready willing and able, and that's all that counts.

Question:
When the Korean War broke out rather suddenly, and HQMC was pressed hard by McAurthor to get a full Division ready to go, how many reservists were called to active duty? Hadn't the Corps already downsized significantly in the period between the end of WWII and the time North Korea crossed the 38th Parallel?

yellowwing
04-08-08, 05:20 AM
You got that right Greybeard. By all accounts the 24th Marine Regiment has certainly pulled their share of Duty. :iwo:

yanacek
04-08-08, 05:50 AM
Greybeard,

Many members of the Marine Corps Reserve were called to active duty, especially in the early part of the war. Some of these men were veterans of WW-II, but many of them had only been locally trained (local units rather than boot camp). Here is an article that details the specifics, including the numbers: http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/topics/branch_accounts/marine/p_minute_men.htm

greybeard
04-08-08, 08:02 AM
Excellent read and good info to keep handy in my favorites. I knew someone here would have this tucked away or knew where to find it!!!
Thanks yanacek!!

Greybeard,

Many members of the Marine Corps Reserve were called to active duty, especially in the early part of the war. Some of these men were veterans of WW-II, but many of them had only been locally trained (local units rather than boot camp). Here is an article that details the specifics, including the numbers: http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/topics/branch_accounts/marine/p_minute_men.htm

sgtrock1970
04-08-08, 08:54 AM
Traditionally the Marines have always called on their reservists to pull up the manpower slack and I'm really not sure why we are even talking about this. Once you've earned your EGA or in my era graduated boot are you not a Marine. Once a Marine always a Marine.

Blackheart1
04-08-08, 09:36 AM
You are absolutely right Sgt. Rock.

I posed the question because after being out and away from other Marines for 12 years.......I guess you could say I was a motivational hump drop......But just we always do. A few Marines lightened my load until I could get back to the front of the formation. I now have all my gear back in my pack and I'm ready to go another 20 miles.

You Marines are the best!

outlaw3179
04-08-08, 09:59 AM
lol..good analogy. Semper Fi Marine.

UsmcMotorT
04-16-08, 10:17 AM
Once you earned the EGA, you are a Marine, reservist or AD. I am a reservist but spend several years on Active Duty orders.

DevilDogJAL
04-16-08, 10:21 AM
We went to the same boot camp and we're fighting the same war.

nptwildcat
04-16-08, 10:48 AM
My son is a reservist. I'm as PROUD as can be of him. He earned the title same as his old man. So I guess that answers how I feel.

ZSKI
04-17-08, 12:59 AM
We may get **** from the active side but call on us and we will leave our lives behind and die for our brothers if necessary.

sgtgrunt0311
04-17-08, 02:37 AM
Real Marines don't have to question themselves about being real Marines or not. You know in your heart what you are. If you question it then maybe you need to be in the Army. After going through boot camp and any other training the Corps sends you to and you report to the fleet and you are still questioning the obvious, you have serious issues in my opinion.

Now for the obvious if you are not an 03XX you know you are not a real Marine..... :D ;) :p