PDA

View Full Version : Are all Marines equal?

Blackheart1
04-07-08, 10:40 AM
I served as a scout swimmer/0311 with 31st MEU/SOC 1995-1996. I enlisted durring te Gulf War but it was long over by the time I got to the fleet. I have always been very proud of my time in, I wanted to be a marine since birth.

I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him he claimed that I did not deployed to war so I am not a "real marine". I do feel guilt that there are many marines that have had and are having a much more difficult time in.

My question: I would like to hear from other marines their opinion (that is the opinion that matters to me). Do you feel I am a lesser marine? Is there such a thing? Should I sever the relationship with my friend?

Apache
04-07-08, 10:59 AM
In my opinion you served your country.
They did not deploy you.This does not make you any less a Marine.
Secondly I question this "friend"
What kind of person would even say these things ?
What is his backround ?
Thirdly-There is no glory in war-only survival

crate78
04-07-08, 11:07 AM
The Marine Corps is founded on teamwork. As long as you're on active duty, you're making your contribution to the overall team effort, therefore every Marine is equally important. As long as you do the job the Corps requires you to do, it's not your fault you weren't sent here or there, as long as you were ready, willing, and able to do what ever the Corps asked of you.

I know where you're coming from. My wife has four brothers who all were Army Korean war vets. One has, on a couple of occasions, made snide remarks inferring that I didn't really accomplish anything worthwhile in the military since I never set foot in Korea. No matter that the Corps chose to have me involved in activities equally important elsewhere.

However, when the other three and I all BS openly about our military experiences this one just sits there and keeps his mouth shut. Be it personality, adaptability, or whatever, I suspect something did not go well for him in the Army and he's stroking his own ego by trying to put me down. I've always wanted to ask one of the others.

It's possible your friend may have a few regrets that he never served.

crate

davblay
04-07-08, 11:21 AM
I served as a scout swimmer/0311 with 31st MEU/SOC 1995-1996. I enlisted durring te Gulf War but it was long over by the time I got to the fleet. I have always been very proud of my time in, I wanted to be a marine since birth.

I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him he claimed that I did not deployed to war so I am not a "real marine". I do feel guilt that there are many marines that have had and are having a much more difficult time in.

My question: I would like to hear from other marines their opinion (that is the opinion that matters to me). Do you feel I am a lesser marine? Is there such a thing? Should I sever the relationship with my friend?

My Fellow Marine......sigh.......I would re-evaluate that friendship if I were you! It's easy to say "you are less of a Marine", to someone when they have never served! Don't let his feelings of guilt drag you down, you served with Honor.....that's more than he can say!

Are you less of a Marine....Hell no! I'd share a fighting hole with you anyday!

Semper Fi my brother,

Dave

jetdawgg
04-07-08, 11:24 AM
You should show him what you 'learned' in the Marine Corps and he will understand why nations don't generally fzck with us:mad: :usmc:

sgtrock1970
04-07-08, 11:26 AM
You graduated boot, earned your EGA, you are a MARINE, tell him to kiss your ass.

maverickmarine
04-07-08, 11:29 AM
Please fill out your profile.

We are all Marines and are the same. It is just based on when you were in, what you did but nothing changes the fact that you are a Marine and part of our brotherhood.

temarti
04-07-08, 11:57 AM
You were also in at a time there was not much going on, Somalia and Haiti were the big issues. The field and floats were all there was to do.

I agree with Crate, he may have regrets that he did not serve and may have some jealousy that you did and this is what he can not compete with.

In general the ones who only talk about war stories, brave ventures and secret missions more than likely did not do anything.

Always keep you head up and know that the honor of wearing the EGA is something no one can take from you and they can not buy, it is earned.

thewookie
04-07-08, 12:36 PM
I'll drink a beer with you anytime.

As far as the comments he made, did you hand him his teeth after? At least a nice kidney shot for that smart azz remark?

There's a new thread started today by Ellie that has an interesting story, here's a quote relevant to your question.

I'm proud to have been a Marine Corps sergeant. Nothing spectacular by any measure of a career. No machine gun nests rushed, no rooms full of insurgents and terrorists neutralized, no Silver Stars. But no matter what the sum of my life tallies up to in the end, I will go to my grave knowing that, at least once, I did the right thing and for the right reasons. I could have done any number of things. I chose that.

So you got out as a Lance Coolie, still no mata

FistFu68
04-07-08, 01:11 PM
:usmc: AT LEAST YOU HAD ENOUGH BALL'S TOO GO INTO THE USMC MARINE.I HAD A VERY BIG MOUTH UNCLE,WHO WAS AN E-7 SAT ON HIS AZZ;BUT ALL HE TALKED ABOUT WAS WAR.EVERYONE KNEW HE WAS A FRIGGING LIAR,MY PAPA ALL OF HIS BROTHERS MY UNCLES ALL SERVED.WELL DURING THE ANNUAL THANKSGIVING FAMILY GET TOGETHER,I CAME LIMPING IN;HE GOES JACKIE BOY AT LEAST I WASN'T DUMB ENOUGH TOO EAT A BULLET.THERE WERE 23 PEOPLE THERE,ALL FAMILY.I GO UNCLE RAY HERES THAT$20 I OWE YOU.I DROPPED IT AS BY ACCIDENT ON PURPOSE,AS HE BENT DOWN IN HIS CHAIR TOO PICK IT UP;I KICKED HIM HARDER IN THE FACE THAN I'VE EVER KICKED ANYTHING IN MY LIFE!THAT BIG MOUTH BASTARD STILL AIN'T CHEWING RIGHT.I'VE BEEN IN COMBAT,NEVER WANNA GO BACK;I'M NO BETTER THAN ANY OTHER MARINE.BUT I'M JUST AS GOOD,SOMETIMES A LITTLE BIT WORSE(LOL)RESPECT YOURSELF-F**K THEM MARINE!!!CONSIDER THE SOURCE YOU'R BUDDY IS A COWARD???:usmc: :iwo:

PatriotGirl422
04-07-08, 01:43 PM
This friend of yours has never served so he really has no opinion in the first place. I'm just gonna say what everyone else says: It's not your fault that you were never deployed to a warzone. That doesn't make you any less of a Marine. As long as you are willing to go, that's all you can control.

I had a similar experience just last week. These really really stupid girls sitting behind me in my class were being stingy as hell and wouldn't let me borrow their extra lab sheets (that they didn't even need because their group had extras and my group had none). Anyway, one of the girls says to the other two girls about me "Don't be mean to her, she serves our country...part time." I was so ****ed off at that ignorant remark that I calmly snapped back with "Well, it's better than sitting on my ass eating cheetoes full time." (The girl who said that to me was really fat).
Anyway my point is that just like you feel like less of a Marine sometimes for not having served in war, reservists get crap all the time too about "not being real Marines". The fact is, that every Marine is a real Marine. We all answered the call and are ready and willing to go fight our country's battles in a moment's notice. Whether we are called up or not is not in our control.

jetdawgg
04-07-08, 02:03 PM
http://www.usmcvta.org/God&Marines.gif

Twitchell
04-07-08, 02:21 PM
I felt the same way for a long time. When I went through boot in 99, we all thought that Kosovo was going to be a huge deal, and we were going there.
Well it did'nt last long eather.

Since I've gotten into firefighting now, I've had that same conversation and then some with about every co worker I have. Now that I have done it for 4 years, not to mention the other years. Almost every engine, or hand crew asked me to come and work for them now. Including the Cedar City Hotshots, which only had 1 opening this year, and offered it to me first. Not because I'm such a better firefighter than they are, but because of my dedication, my commitment, and little things like pulling my engine out to wash it for something to do instead of sitting on my a$$. It's because I carried the same dedication thats required of every Marine over into fire and exercise it there.

Long story short, they don't say much now. Even when I bring up the military.
It also does'nt hurt to bring up the conversation when your smoken em, humpin up a mountain carrying 25 lbs. more than they are. LOL

Big Jim
04-07-08, 02:50 PM
I'd have questioned his friendship then and there. Like Jack said...YOU were the one that had the balls to join the Marine Corps...not him!! A Marine is a Marine...no more, no less!! I don't believe in the PI Marine or Hollywood Marine crap either!! You are a part of the brotherhood...don't let ANYBODY ever tell you anything different!!!

yellowwing
04-07-08, 03:24 PM
I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him he claimed that I did not deployed to war so I am not a "real marine".
Sounds like your best friend knew exactly what button to push to get under your skin. Was he trying to impress some girl at the party at that moment?

We had another of this type question back (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62788)in the Marine Only forum.

We are all Marines. Just know that your best friend can no longer use that to get your goat!

Semper Fi

Apache
04-07-08, 03:44 PM
Semper Fi brother
Say again on the fighting position anytime.

Sempersweet
04-07-08, 03:47 PM
Where was your friend when you signed up? Not with you obviously.

It's not what we have in this life, but what we do with what we've been given. Not everyone can be on the front lines, but everyone is needed to ensure the success of the most efficient, professional and effective fighting machine in the world. It takes clerks, cooks, admin, armorers, trainers, deck buffers and rock painters to make the wheels go round brother, and though we may not be able to claim the honor of those fearless ones who brave the front line fire, the Marine Corps strength is in knowing that they have trained everyone of us to heed that call, if necessary. From the bootest private to the loftiest General, each Marine is First to Fight! It is why Marines are feared, honored, respected and d. Even the crustiest old sea dog in your friendly neighborhood VFW would don his gear and be on line and ready to give his/her all if requested.
You don't get that training in a University, out of an on line or audio course, from a motivational speaker, or any other civilian leadership marketing strategy. It comes from the human pursuit of Liberty at all costs, and from the age old time proven training, tactics and tradition that make up the US Marine. You are one of those who made it through, who chose the indoctrination, who rose to the call.
And your friend is a jack ass.

bootlace15
04-07-08, 03:51 PM
scare the sh!t out of him. Do the Corp thing.Give a recruiter a call with his name and address,plus phone number. I'm sure since he does'nt know what a real Marine looks like,maybe he"ll join for himself.......

bootlace15 out

sdk87to91
04-07-08, 04:02 PM
Others dont understand so dont severe your friendship. You are too good for that. Remember what The Honorable Mr. Reagan said; something like - forgive but dont ever forget.

Twitchell hit a chord. Lots of people percieve that I am a Marine by what they see, even if they dont see my stickers, patches and tattooes, etc...

88arty
04-07-08, 04:10 PM
I enlisted in the Marines in 1984 because my Uncle was a Marine. He inlisted back in the early 1970s. After bootcamp I went to California and saw cousins that were still in school at the time. I told them about the Marines and the pride you have when you finally earn the EGA. Well thats been 24 years ago and as of this day we have had 4 family members join the Marines. Of the 4 only one has ever had to go to war. He is a piolt and flys the herrior. He has served 3 tours. He is back now and our family is able to get together quite often. When we are together all of our Marines tell stories of there inlistments. No one looks down on the others because they were not called to war but we all support the one who was and are thankful he came home. One thing I've learned sence I got out is stand proud you are a Marine and not everyone can say that

SlingerDun
04-07-08, 04:24 PM
I was at a party with my best friend (whom has never served) this weekend. I was extremely offended by the coment. When pressing him...What happens when you 'press' people? and at a party, probably drinking?...they speak their mind. And when its a friend, a best friend and you get your feelers hurt maybe you should not have asked or been better prepared for his answer, or just take it.
Should I sever the relationship with my friend?Sure go ahead and hunt for another "best friend" theres one at every partyhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

--->Dave

Blackheart1
04-07-08, 04:37 PM
Slinger,

There were 2 Viet Nam Marines at the party (kid's b-day). My friend leaned over and said those are real marines, not like these marines of the '80's & 90's. My pressing was "What does that mean". I felt was a legitimate question.

thewookie
04-07-08, 04:53 PM
Slinger,

There were 2 Viet Nam Marines at the party (kid's b-day). My friend leaned over and said those are real marines, not like these marines of the '80's & 90's. My pressing was "What does that mean". I felt was a legitimate question.

I would have gone after him, sorry but he deserved to be tackled, punched a made a scene. LOL not really, I would take him to the bathroom and kick him in the balls, then smash his face in the toilet. Who is he?

My props go out to anyone that served when bullets were flying, they are my hero's. Some wanted to, some did not. But some piece of crap civilian, screw him.

SlingerDun
04-07-08, 06:06 PM
Well, if he feels you are also his best friend, he's probably wishing he could extract that statement. If no remorse then he probably doesn't respect you or is unsatisfied with himself. Whats done is done. I respect my best friends. I've had 3

--->Dave

TazMatt
04-07-08, 06:17 PM
I would not worry about how he feels toward you. You served your time in the Marine Corps whether it was during combat or not.I served six years in the Corps during Vietnam and the closest I got to Vietnam was in Okinawa doing my job in supply in support of the troops who were going and coming with The Fourth Marines and also with The Ninth Marines. Just because I didn't see combat doesn't make me less of a Marine for we are all in this together for without one the other cannot function no matter what their job is.

Blackheart1
04-07-08, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the advice slinger. I appreciate it.

I appreciate everyone's input. It definitely has reminded me of the brotherhood I should have never doubted.

rayh
04-07-08, 10:40 PM
I was in between Korea and Vietnam and for over fifty years now I have never had any combat Marine including the Gulf war veterans, who did not treat me like a brother, as for a civilian who gives a sxxt what they think.and in my most humble opinion that is what is meant as United States Marine Corp Brotherhood forever this life and the next.Semper Fi

greybeard
04-07-08, 11:08 PM
Slinger,

What aload of dung.
1. No Marine ever knows if they will go to combat or not--hell, we never know if there will even be a war while we are in the Marine Corps. It's blind dumb luck/fate/whatever, but there have to be Marines ready to go no matter what. 80's-90s? As far as I remember, there was still plenty of friction going on in the world those 2 decades. and it coulda turned out a lot rougher than it was. I doubt most Marines in the late 40s had a clue the Marine Corps would be fighting it's butt off in Korea in 1950--but they stood ready to do whatever popped up. And they damned sure did--just as Marines always do.

2. Those peices of paper you get--with your name. service # and rank on them--telling you where to show up next? They're orders--same as mine. Same as everyones. We don't get to pick and choose--Uncle Sam and HQMC picks and chooses for us. They send us where they need us--not where we want to go.

3. For every man/women actually in combat, there are probably 100 more not in combat--doing their jobs, so those in combat can survive--win--come home--get medical treatment--get paid--have ammo--rations-etc. The ones in combat cannot cannot cannot cannot do their job without the 100s not in combat--period!!

4. We all joke and jive about remfs and crap like that--but in reality, anyone not 'boots on the ground' is more or less a remf. The job #1 for everyone in the Corps is to support those grunts. Arty-aviation-supply-intel, you name it--stateside, 'in-country-where ever, we all support the grunts. We may 'help' them win battles, but in the end, it's Rifles--Always Rifles.

You did your job Marine. That's all anyone could ever ask of you--or expect of you.

jetdoc
04-08-08, 08:19 AM
You're a Marine, period. A non Marine saying that to you makes it even more of a non issue. You may not be a combat Marine, (a lot of us fit that bill), but we are all Marines none the less.

DevilDogJAL
04-08-08, 10:44 PM
I'm a reservist, I hear that stuff quite often. I just tell them I went through the same Parris Island and I'm going to the same Afghanistan.

Blackheart1
04-08-08, 10:45 PM
Just in case you're curious.......

With your help the decision has been made......

I was talking to my future father n' law (a crusty, angry, Viet Nam Era Marine). We had to come to decision of wether to invite my "best friend" to my wedding. My future father in law is going to knock him out if he shows.

If he's not invited to the wedding it will end the freindship. I decided this guy out of jealousy or whatever, doesn't respect me or my Marine Corps Swagger. I need to sever the tie. I've been thinking about it for days, I'm OK with that. Our fundementals are too out of sync.

Besides there will be several other Marines there, My father in law, his brother (just as crusty, not quite as angry). My brother from 2/5, A former recruiter my parents adopted (gave him a place to spend Christmas and what not) who is now a Master Sergeant. I feel his presence shows disrespect to them.

Any one of these guys would lay a nice beat down on him. Especially if he maintains the same attitude.

We really weren't that close anyway, more or less drinking buddies.

yellowwing
04-08-08, 11:49 PM
Welcome back to The Brotherhood! :usmc:

anthony j bower
04-14-08, 04:50 PM
We:iwo: are all Marines no matter what our job was, we had a job to do and we did that's what it is all about. If he did not serve he has no right to pass judment on anyone.

darkgreen0311
04-14-08, 05:43 PM
A Marine is a Marine whether it be peace or war you've been through the hardest boot camp in the world if he was was my friend i'd probably severe ties with him. He probably couldn't do more than half of what you have accomplished.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

Camper51
04-14-08, 06:23 PM

No you are NOT a lesser Marine. You are a MARINE.

Should you sever your relationship with your friend? I can't answer that one, only you can decide if this friend is worth your time.

One of my best friends was in the Army as a chaplains assistant in Germany during the Vietnam era. Does he deserve any less respect for having served than I do? No, he doesn't. He did what the Army told him to do, just as I did what the Marine Corps told me to do. He may have been a lowly doggie (I just had to do it) but he enlisted and served. He deserves everything I do, no more, no less...

Camper51
04-14-08, 06:31 PM
Blind old me. Guess I should have read all the posts before crafting my witty reply. I am glad things worked out for you. Any one who puts you down is NOT your friend, but only you can make the decision on whether to accept a person like that or not. ( I sure as hell wouldn't ) and I see that you won't either...

SgtHopperUSMC
04-14-08, 07:01 PM

My question: I would like to hear from other marines their opinion (that is the opinion that matters to me). Do you feel I am a lesser marine? Is there such a thing? Should I sever the relationship with my friend?So are you a marine as some kind of sea animal or Marine. "Marine" is with a capital M if you are not a sea animal. :nerd:

ecfree
04-14-08, 08:16 PM
remember That Day Back In Sept 1992,when You Recieved Your "eagle,globe,and Anchor"?
that's When You Became A Real "marine".

ecfree
04-14-08, 08:20 PM
Remember That Day Back In Sept 1992,when You recieved Your "Eagle,Globe,and Anchor"?
That's When You Became A Real "marine".]

egbutler1
04-14-08, 08:36 PM
Not deploying doesn't make you less of a Marine. Sure I gave a bunch of crap to guys that didn't deploy that where POGs or that where boots but i never not once ever thought of them as a lesser Marine. I have respect for anyone who joins the Marines like i did. If they didn't deploy oh freakin' well, you still served your country and **** that "kid" he wouldn't know anything about earning the title wearing the uniform or anything like that. War is over glorified and it is no fun. Semper Fidelis.

reversehalo
04-14-08, 09:30 PM

Doesn't sound to me like he's your "best friend" if he's going to talk to you like that. Plus, he wasn't/isn't even a Marine. His opinion counts for exactly NOTHING.

What the hell has he ever done besides sit on his ass and bask in the freedom that is ensured to him (and he most likely takes for granted) by everyone who does have/did have the spine to serve in one of the branches of our military?

SgtHopperUSMC
04-14-08, 11:27 PM
remember That Day Back In Sept 1992,when You Recieved Your "eagle,globe,and Anchor"?
that's When You Became A Real "marine".Once again....It's "Marine" with capital M

sgtgrunt0311
04-15-08, 03:42 PM

You are not a lesser Marine what you are is a lesser experienced Marine. Deployments don't make Marines. Drill Instructors make Marines and if you heard the words dissssmissed spoken by your Sr. Drill Instructor you are a Marine and always will be.

Your question is like saying because I have a Combat Action Ribbon you are not a real 03XX..... Sort of silly if you think about it. Tell your friend to grow up.

drillinstructor
04-15-08, 05:17 PM
Please do not show up at a VFW (or actually not even on this site) and say , "man I was a Marine four years and I really wish I could of went to war" You may get knocked the f out. You are no less of a Marine but honestly I can see how it would bother you. Marines think that way. Marines that expeirenced some hard times really hate to hear a young man echo that statement I put in parenthesis above......YOU ARE NO LESS A MARINE SEMPER FI!!!!

249gunner
04-15-08, 05:41 PM
pfft.
You've come a long fckn way grunt brother.
No man can take that away from you.

I feel guilty I didnt go through 90s bootcamp.

ecfree
04-15-08, 08:26 PM
sgthopperUSMC
Sorry About,THAT. I Usually Never Make That Error,Marine.

kato811
04-18-08, 03:32 PM
ask your best freind were he served his counrty? your as much a Marine as anyone else here