PDA

View Full Version : Jeanerette Hero

thedrifter
04-07-08, 09:15 AM
Jeanerette Hero
By Karma Champagne

Marine Sgt. Ranaldo Sereal has no fear of war, only of failure.

Mom’s little boy, who once worried he would grow up to be a failure in his mother’s eyes, has turned into a courageous Marine hero and is now being recognized nationally for his courage and valor in Iraq.

Life has always been a struggle for the Jeanerette soldier. Since the young age of 11, he watched his mother, Denise Sereal, battle reoccurring cancer as a single parent. He was forced to grow up fast and quickly learned to accept responsibilities that came with helping to raise his two young siblings.

Few others have achieved what the 26 year-old has accomplished in the line of duty.

During his three tours in the Iraq conflict, the Marine radio operator has received 13 commendations including the Navy Combat Commendation, Navy Achievement Combat with Valor and a Bronze Star with Valor.

Although Sereal speaks modestly of his accomplishments, his bravery does not go unnoticed as he received national recognition in the March, 2008 issue of People Magazine.

“Coming from a low income family, I always grew up with the fear that I would be a failure in my mom’s eyes. I saw her cry every night as she battled cancer,” said Sereal.

At the age of 22, Sereal got his first chance to prove himself. He received orders to report to Fallujah in March 2004.

“I had never been shot at before and I didn’t want to be that guy who would freeze up,” he said.

He proved to himself he had the courage for combat after engaging in a battle with 15 insurgents while on a mission to find the top five high valued targets. As a result of the success of the mission, he was awarded the Navy Achievement Combat with Valor.

He later received the Bronze Star with Valor commendation after a battle in Ramadi in November, 2006 while on a mission with the US Navy Seals.

After a sniper threw a grenade and injured several of his comrades, he is credited with shooting back at insurgents to provide cover for an Iraqi family of five and his injured comrades. As a Marine radio operator, he stayed focused on his duties and continued to send radio updates while shooting back until Army tanks arrived.

“We are really proud of him,” said his mother. “As a single parent, I couldn’t have made it without his help. I just feel guilty that he had to grow up so fast, but I always knew he would succeed in life.”

He dropped out of college after his first year and signed up with the Marines to help his family with financial obligations.

“I was told that I probably wouldn’t last because I had a problem with authority and wouldn’t be able to accept discipline.

I love to prove people wrong,” said Sereal.

Now an instructor at Marine Leadership School for Marine noncommissioned officers in New Orleans, Sereal and his new wife, former Marine Terra Young, comes home to visit his mother at least twice a month.

“I’m 26 but I feel like I’m 45 years old. I had to take on a lot of responsibility really fast,” he said.

“I guess I’m really not too scared of anything now. I’ve been through a war at home and a war overseas. But even with all of this, I still don’t feel successful. I am just happy that that my family and my friends who are in Iraq are still alive.”

There is a sadness in the young soldier’s eyes as he speaks of his mother who is struggling with another bout of cancer and his grandmother who is currently struggling to overcome the disease.

Denise Sereal still worries her son may be deployed again to Iraq while he serves his last three years.

Sereal, the son of Michael Lewis, is leaving his options open as to whether or not he chooses a career in the military.

The Jeanerette Marine has endured a lesson in courage and faith that will change his life forever.

“I sometimes thought I was invincible but this has made me face reality and the world can be an unforgiving place,” he said.

“I’ve learned to never take advantage of anything because you never know what the next day will bring.”

Ellie