PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Problems?

Ryan1234
04-07-08, 01:10 AM
Okay so I have been having some pain in both of my ankles. This started about 3 weeks ago and the pain is right on the inner side of my foot right above the bone . I figure it couldn't be that bad since its pain in both ankles.
I have Nike running shoes and the pain usually only starts when i am running more than 3 miles. I ship for bootcamp April 21st. I am resting it and icing it until I leave but hopefully it isnt serious enough to the point where i have to push back my bootcamp date. If anyone else is expericencing the same pain or has before and has some tips on things i need to be doing to take care of it. That would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon1
04-07-08, 03:13 AM
Go to the doctors. Then hit the asphault once again, if your cleared of course. Me personally i've never really heard of that type of ankle pain but ankle pain, especially if your shipping soon, you should go to the doctor.

Seyborg
04-07-08, 06:56 AM
Does it feel like it's a "bone"thing? if it's about 2-3 inches above the ankle knot, you needto rest it or get a steroid shot. My guess is it is a inflamed tendon.

Just my .02 cents

Ryan1234
04-07-08, 11:07 AM
its more of a bruise kind of feeling .

The Dude22
04-07-08, 11:58 AM
Ankle pain can be from a number of different things. If it's seriously hurting you I'd suggest going to a doctor, but it's going to take a couple weeks for them to see if it's anything serious. They can't just xray and see if any tendons are hurt or anything. They'd have to go in and do an MRI, and by the time they schedule it, you go in, and then get the results back it really wouldn't be worth the money and time unless it's really bothering you that bad.

Your ankles may just be weak and you could be having a combination of shin splints also. I'd suggest doing some ankle strengthening exercises and taking it easy on the hard impact running. If you go run, stick to the grass until the pain subsides. Keep icing the heck out of them also. As far as exercises go, I know these don't sound like much, but they really do work:

Just balance on one leg and hold it for a good 30 seconds or so. Do that a few times on each ankle.

Do some calf raises while balancing on that one foot

Then add the squat element. Balance on one leg and squat down and back up. It won't be easy unless you've got great balance, so do it by a wall or something that can touch with your fingers to help you from falling over if need be.

Find a slightly raised area like a small step up. Stairs are too high, look for something no more than 3-4 inches high. Posistion your feet to where the balls of your foot are on the edge of the raised area and your heels are touching the lower surface. Do a lot of "calf raises" this way.

Another good exercise to do to help with the pain if it's tendon/muscle related is to sit down in a chair, lay a towel out in front of you at your feet, and place your toes on the front of the towel closest to you. Then go about "scrunching" the towel up by using your toes. Do that a few times and you'll start to feel it. And if you by any chance have any marbles or something close to it, put as many as you can in a small cup, sit down in said chair again, and pour all the marbles out in front of you. One by one pick the marbles up with your toes and put them back in the cup. Sounds wierd but it works.

Hope some of this helps. Mainly, do a lot of those ankle strengthening excersises, stay off the hard surfaces while running for a week or two(it may even be best to do some hardcore, long distance biking instead for now), and ice ice ice.

Blackheart1
04-07-08, 12:25 PM
Take care of it Marine Corps style. Motrin and water. Get to a doctor and make sure there is no real damage. More than likely, if your a poolee, You have been working up your running preparing for boot camp. If the long distances are new to you, it would be very reasonable to expect some pain. You can take up to 800mg of advil in a dose. Read the bottle and make sure. Usually they are 200mg tabs, take 4 with plenty of water, keep it on ice.

Start biking and swimming temporarily for your cardio.

Ryan1234
04-07-08, 01:43 PM
Take care of it Marine Corps style. Motrin and water. Get to a doctor and make sure there is no real damage. More than likely, if your a poolee, You have been working up your running preparing for boot camp. If the long distances are new to you, it would be very reasonable to expect some pain. You can take up to 800mg of advil in a dose. Read the bottle and make sure. Usually they are 200mg tabs, take 4 with plenty of water, keep it on ice.

Start biking and swimming temporarily for your cardio.

Yeah im a poolee. We have been running a lot. Actually i think i might have figured out when it started hurting. It was probably because of a 10 mile run i did. I cant remember any pain before the run but after is when i could actually feel the pain. Also at bootcamp are you allowed to take Tylonel,Advil or Motrin or any pain relievers.