PDA

View Full Version : Some Marines From Lima Company Ordered To Iraq

thedrifter
04-05-08, 08:03 AM
Some Marines From Lima Company Ordered To Iraq
Friday, April 4, 2008 5:10 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ten Marine reservists from Lima Company, the reservist outfit that has suffered the largest loss of life in Iraq, have been ordered back to the Middle East, 10TV's Glenn McEntyre reported.

Since the start of the War in Iraq, 23 Lima Company Marines have lost their lives.

During a 2005 interview on 10TV News, Doug Blegen and Carol Durkin caught their first glance of their son, Eric, back on United States' soil.

Back at home, Cpl. Eric Blegen talked about his experiences in Iraq - some of which detailed the horrors of war.

"It was so hard to do your job while Marines are suffering and dying behind you," Blegen said.

This week, Blegen's family was forced to deal with the news that their son was scheduled to return to Iraq.

"I didn't know it was official yet," said Doug Blegen. "It's still kind of sinking in, I guess."

Doug Blegen said his son, who is an aspiring math teach, has one semester left at Youngstown State. He was hoping to graduate this fall, but those plans may now be put on hold.

"No one looks forward to seeing their family member go off, but certainly proud of them," said Doug Blegen. "I know he's proud of what he does."

The 10 Marines from Lima Company will mobilize in May for four months of training in California before heading to Iraq in September. They will be attached to a battalion out of New York and were expected to spend 7 months in Iraq.

In addition to the 23 Lima Company Marines killed, 31 others were wounded in combat.
In October 2005, the company returned from combat.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV. com for additional information.

Ellie