PDA

View Full Version : Meeting the DI's

dhenderson88
04-05-08, 05:25 AM
Today the RSS of Orlando is having a poolee meeting and some DI's are coming down to meet us. I'm really excited and really nervous haha. I'll write when I get back.

-Dwight

fs19
04-05-08, 06:00 AM
We have out annual Pool Function at Annapolis where we will be competing against quite a few other RSS' as well as meeting several DIs. Should be interesting...

McSweeney
04-05-08, 06:35 AM
Today the RSS of Orlando is having a poolee meeting and some DI's are coming down to meet us. I'm really excited and really nervous haha. I'll write when I get back.

-Dwight

:evilgrin:

benw2200
04-05-08, 09:58 AM
If your pool function was anything like ours when the Parris Island DIs came, prepare for an a** chewing.:evilgrin:

dhenderson88
04-05-08, 11:29 AM
It was pretty cool, I enjoyed it. It wasn't as intense as I expected and it was cut short because to many people were falling out. But over all a cool experience.

Smitty Puffs
04-05-08, 12:07 PM
falling out?

dhenderson88
04-05-08, 01:29 PM
As in they left the formation because they couldn't take it anymore, most people fell out due to dehydration.

-Dwight

NeedSomePT
04-05-08, 03:44 PM
I was there today. I don't really know what you're talking about, I didn't see anyone falling out. I saw many people struggling but no one acutally get up and go.
IMO they needed more than two DIs there. If you weren't in the first or second row you could pretty much do anything and not worry about getting seen unless the DI was RIGHT there.

LittleMissStretch
04-05-08, 03:55 PM
HaHa thats funny. We had our annual Poolee field meet today. It was interesting. We also had two DI's from PI come up to visit. Yea, kids were chosen then thrashed.

Danman
04-05-08, 04:05 PM
Just wait till you get down there. All the best advice I can give you for when you do meet your Drill Instructors for the first time is... Screem at the top of your lungs. and move fast and they will leave you alone and pick on the kids that cant do that.

NeedSomePT
04-05-08, 04:12 PM
Yes it was bothering me today why some people would not "sound off like they've got a pair!" Might as well do what you're told. Plus it really pumps you up, I don't know what some people are doing there. It doesn't look like they want to do this.
I must admit afterwards my throat was a little bit sore from all the screaming and actually having some volume during the cadence run.

One of the DIs had absoluetly no voice.

LittleMissStretch
04-05-08, 04:17 PM
Yea, I can relate. There were only 3 females in the 1st DI Encounter platoon and we were sounding off more than the males and Pting better than them. I know thats as long as you sound off as loud as you can, do what your told when your told and do it correctly they will pick on someone else.

AndyBowman
04-05-08, 06:05 PM
Yeah it was pretty intense, makes me more motivated and I can't wait for boot camp.

SGT7477
04-05-08, 06:13 PM
One thing to keep in mind poolees when one screws up at boot camp you all will pay no matter how good you are doing,lmfao.

Nez46
04-05-08, 08:02 PM
We did this on my second Pool function and will be doing it on my second to last. It was fun got a good laugh. It was just the way my dad describe them.

DGardner
04-05-08, 08:33 PM
Just go up to them and in a casual voice say "hey, I know this is just for show. and I want you to know that anything you say to me I won't take it personally. I know your just doing your job." Give them a pat on the back and walk away. They will appreciate your kind words! :)

SGT7477
04-05-08, 08:34 PM
When you hit recruit training the laughing ends big time.

KevinR90
04-05-08, 09:04 PM
yeah i was there today too- the best part of the entire day was getting to eat an MRE. It's kinda like a grab bag becuase you never know what you're going to get. I had some really good spicy penne pasta- and for dessert a pineapple pound cake.

Other than that I agree about needing more DIs. Though the one guy really can make standing up and sitting down into a workout. And the "Moment of Truth" thing was a big waste of time too.

Also I thought it is relevant to mention the thread that was made recently about when to say Aye Sir and when to say Yes Sir- because people were saying both all day long- it annoyed me, though sometimes I wasn't sure which to use.

All in all it was a great day for me- did better on my run time, pullups, and crunches- which was weird because that run was the hardest i've ever done- and there was no hill at the end!!!! I guess it was because I wasn't sure if we were going to run all the way around the twice, but we ended up finishing in that field.

NeedSomePT
04-05-08, 09:33 PM
yeah i was there today too- the best part of the entire day was getting to eat an MRE. It's kinda like a grab bag becuase you never know what you're going to get. I had some really good spicy penne pasta- and for dessert a pineapple pound cake.

Other than that I agree about needing more DIs. Though the one guy really can make standing up and sitting down into a workout. And the "Moment of Truth" thing was a big waste of time too.

Also I thought it is relevant to mention the thread that was made recently about when to say Aye Sir and when to say Yes Sir- because people were saying both all day long- it annoyed me, though sometimes I wasn't sure which to use.

All in all it was a great day for me- did better on my run time, pullups, and crunches- which was weird because that run was the hardest i've ever done- and there was no hill at the end!!!! I guess it was because I wasn't sure if we were going to run all the way around the twice, but we ended up finishing in that field.
We didn't have MREs at Orlando. Just a barbecue. It did feel a bit like the whole event was cut short, it was awesome but could have easily been better. Perhaps the black clouds in the distance had something to do with it. It did start raining pretty hard int he afternoon.

fs19
04-05-08, 09:37 PM

Were you at Annapolis, from RS Baltimore? If so I was there also, from RSS Bel Air.

Overall was a good experience, but I really wish we got more time with the DIs. Our RSS didn't have time to get yelled at or PTed but we did ask him questions. I was also awarded the "Gung Ho" award for being the most motivated Poolee from my RSS-That was really really awsome.

Nez46
04-05-08, 09:46 PM
Yeah we ate them too. Just remember put hot sauce on everything then its all good lol.:beer:

JeredA
04-05-08, 10:05 PM
All sounds great guys, i have my competition with our districts on the 25th-26th...excited yet nervous

Chaotic
04-05-08, 10:16 PM
We had our meeting today and all the RSSes from RS Ft. Lauderdale competed. I'm proud to say that RSS Ft. Pierce took first place for the Northern districts. We ended up stealing a platoon's guidon because they left it just standing around, so they got smoked in a volleyball court (of sand) by one of the DI's. The DI made the guide look for the guidon in the sand, so while he was digging around for it, his friends were rolling around in the sand and making nice little sugar cookies.

dhenderson88
04-06-08, 01:09 AM
I was there today. I don't really know what you're talking about, I didn't see anyone falling out. I saw many people struggling but no one acutally get up and go.
IMO they needed more than two DIs there. If you weren't in the first or second row you could pretty much do anything and not worry about getting seen unless the DI was RIGHT there.

I also didn't personally see anyone fall out, but my recruiter said that was the reason it was cut short. So I'm just going with the rules of the site on this one, "Rule 1: Marines are always right."

davblay
04-06-08, 04:40 AM
Just wait till you get down there. All the best advice I can give you for when you do meet your Drill Instructors for the first time is... Screem at the top of your lungs. and move fast and they will leave you alone and pick on the kids that cant do that.

Now that's sound advice right there! :marine:

Dave

Nez46
04-06-08, 10:47 AM
Ha yeah scream. Well im representing my district next month for pull ips im excited. I love pull ups lol.

NeedSomePT
04-06-08, 10:56 AM
Yesterday I asked one of the DIs what is one of the top things people should try to improve before going to boot camp. He said working on running.

BR34
04-06-08, 11:07 AM
Yeah we ate them too. Just remember put hot sauce on everything then its all good lol.:beer:

MREs are good anyway!!!

Save the hotsauce and salt for the humps, keeps you awake.

Nez46
04-06-08, 12:15 PM
Thanks LCPL for got about them lol. Well i guess it depends on the one you get.

KevinR90
04-06-08, 01:41 PM
Were you at Annapolis, from RS Baltimore? If so I was there also, from RSS Bel Air.

Overall was a good experience, but I really wish we got more time with the DIs. Our RSS didn't have time to get yelled at or PTed but we did ask him questions. I was also awarded the "Gung Ho" award for being the most motivated Poolee from my RSS-That was really really awsome.
yes I was at Annapolis.......Were you the 2nd group from the Major(on his left) during the awards presentation? or the first? I know it was alphabetical order (Wilmington was the closest to the Major on his right), and even if you tell me I wouldn't remember seeing you. The only people I remember are the 2 from my RSS with highest IST, and the 2 highest overall (the female didn't look like she would be the highest).

- i haven't been in DEP long enough for any kind of award- though that sounds like an excuse: "If you're motivated enough it doesn't matter how long you've been in" something along those lines i'd expect to hear back from someone because I post this. My RSS kinda sucked- we were last in I think every single event- though our recruiters had told us for the past few years RSS Wilmington had been 2nd or 3rd overall. I really felt like I let them down. Though you can't say I didn't try. I volunteered for the Dizzy Izzy, and my recruiter volunteered me for the Fireman's Carry (not a good idea).

The Dizzy Izzy was fun because I did what a recruiter told me: after doing all the turns, you get your bearings, then do a shoulder roll- it really does work. The Fireman's Carry I did crappy on because it's not like i work out or anything with weights- though I use to squat and deadlift i haven't done that in a while. When I picked up my partner I threw him too far over my shoulder and I almost fell. And on the way back his shoulder was digging into my crotch, i was hurtin' for a few minutes.

also if you were most motivated, does that mean you got a couple refferals? just curious because I haven't been able to get any.

fs19
04-06-08, 04:35 PM
yes I was at Annapolis.......Were you the 2nd group from the Major(on his left) during the awards presentation? or the first? I know it was alphabetical order (Wilmington was the closest to the Major on his right), and even if you tell me I wouldn't remember seeing you. The only people I remember are the 2 from my RSS with highest IST, and the 2 highest overall (the female didn't look like she would be the highest).

- i haven't been in DEP long enough for any kind of award- though that sounds like an excuse: "If you're motivated enough it doesn't matter how long you've been in" something along those lines i'd expect to hear back from someone because I post this. My RSS kinda sucked- we were last in I think every single event- though our recruiters had told us for the past few years RSS Wilmington had been 2nd or 3rd overall. I really felt like I let them down. Though you can't say I didn't try. I volunteered for the Dizzy Izzy, and my recruiter volunteered me for the Fireman's Carry (not a good idea).

The Dizzy Izzy was fun because I did what a recruiter told me: after doing all the turns, you get your bearings, then do a shoulder roll- it really does work. The Fireman's Carry I did crappy on because it's not like i work out or anything with weights- though I use to squat and deadlift i haven't done that in a while. When I picked up my partner I threw him too far over my shoulder and I almost fell. And on the way back his shoulder was digging into my crotch, i was hurtin' for a few minutes.

also if you were most motivated, does that mean you got a couple refferals? just curious because I haven't been able to get any.
We were the first group- I was the first person to go up to get a certificate (the one that the Sgt.Maj. told to run when going to see the CO) and Nate Bentley, who was awarded the highest male IST, is from my RSS and is a good friend and fellow squadleader of mine.
As far as refferals-I haven't been able to get any yet either, I just come to every Pool Function and am always trying to motivate other people runs and stuff as well as interacting and really getting into them.

zackmerc
04-06-08, 09:32 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! Meeting Drill Instructors are always fun. You'll literally have fun with the motivated killhats. The ones that always threaten to kill you. I had a hard time keeping my laughter in at boot camp but never got caught.