PDA

View Full Version : Major discusses life in Green Zone

thedrifter
04-05-08, 04:22 AM
Posted on Sat, Apr. 05, 2008
Major discusses life in Green Zone
BY MICK WALSH - mwalsh@ledger-enquirer.com

The Green Zone is a far cry from Building 4 at Fort Benning, not only in distance but in level of danger as well.

That's what Maj. Bruce Davis has learned since the Army recalled him to active duty after nine years as a civilian, serving as chief of the Test and Evaluation Division in the office of the Directorate of Combat Developments, and sent him to the war.

Davis works in Interior Affairs, a joint command made up of Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and State Department personnel, headed by an Army two star general. His office, and living quarters, are in an area once considered a safe haven.

Officially known as the International Zone, it's a four square mile oasis in the heart of Baghdad.

"We work directly with the Iraq Ministry of Interior (MoI) and 'assist' them with all their efforts and internal security forces from the national police down to the city police including fire and rescue," said Davis. "Also, included are their port of entry guards, border police and facilities guard force (oil fields, water, electricity, etc.)"

During his first week on the job, he attended a meeting with the Iraqi Minister of Interior and his top generals from all MoI agencies. Most of his work with the MoI is done through translators.

"I have one sitting here right next to me," he said. "Great guy. He is Iraqi born, but is now a citizen of Holland and lived several years in California."

Davis' primary responsibility is to prepare a weekly Interior Affairs update for Gen. David Petraeus on Ministry of Interior activities and progress.

On Easter Sunday, Davis pretty much knew he wasn't back at Benning any more.

"We came under heavy mortar and rocket attack. We woke up at around 5 a.m. to the sound of explosions and rounds coming in all around us. The barrage continued throughout the day. It was reported it was the heaviest attack on Baghdad in a year."

Four days later Davis was directly involved in a mortar/rocket attack on the Green Zone.

"The rocket impacted about 10 feet from me and I sustained minor injuries to my left arm and face after moving into a bunker. We treated and evacuated a soldier who was severely injured. While at the hospital I found out that after 8-9 hours of surgery they were able to stabilize him and fly him out.

"I didn't know the soldier until the morning of the attack and found him severely wounded on the ground. I'll tell you one thing, the atmosphere here has certainly changed."

Davis passed along a message he received from higher-ups concerning the recent wave of attacks on the zone.

"Suspected Shiite militias have carried out rocket and mortar attacks on the Green Zone for four days now," it read. "In response to the attacks, security measures have increased, traffic in the Green Zone has decreased and many embassy employees are sleeping inside the Presidential Palace. The attacks are coming mostly from eastern parts of Baghdad in residential neighborhoods, making it hard for the U.S. military to respond with fire without killing or injuring innocent civilians."

At least one death was reported inside the Green Zone in the latest attacks. Embassy spokeswoman Mirembe Nantongo said a U.S. government employee was killed, but would give no further details until relatives are notified. Another American, a financial analyst who audited contracts in Iraq, was killed earlier this week in the zone.

All personnel are required to wear body armor, helmet and protective eye wear any time they are outside of building structures in the zone.

"People that have been here for several years say it has never been like this," said Davis. "The atmosphere is totally different. Almost everybody slept here in our office."

Ellie