PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh...

Books
04-04-08, 02:51 PM
So, this last week I had a terrible cold of some sort, which then resulted in two ear infections at the same time. It's mostly better, but for the last three days, I have been mostly deaf in both ears. I can only ear really loud things - I can't hear people talking - and it's been like this for a few days and it isn't letting up. I'm still a little bit congested, so I'm hoping when I'm all cleared up that my ears will return to normal, but I'm worried that I've permanently damaged my ears because I've never been like this before. Will this sort of thing completely ruin my chances or is surgery possible/acceptable if this is the case? Do the Marines allow people with hearing aids, if it comes to that?

Respect,
Books

Jonny Destroyer
04-04-08, 03:03 PM
So, this last week I had a terrible cold of some sort, which then resulted in two ear infections at the same time. It's mostly better, but for the last three days, I have been mostly deaf in both ears. I can only ear really loud things - I can't hear people talking - and it's been like this for a few days and it isn't letting up. I'm still a little bit congested, so I'm hoping when I'm all cleared up that my ears will return to normal, but I'm worried that I've permanently damaged my ears because I've never been like this before. Will this sort of thing completely ruin my chances or is surgery possible/acceptable if this is the case? Do the Marines allow people with hearing aids, if it comes to that?

Respect,
Books

Im sure it takes a while for your ears to heal back up. I wouldnt be stressing about permanent damage just yet...my best advice to you is to go see a doctor about it. Im sure he can perscribe you some medication that will clear it back up.

rvillac2
04-04-08, 03:57 PM
Books, don't sweat it until your congestion subsides. You may have excess fluid and pressure in the middle ear. Just let it naturally equalize and give yourself some time to heal. There shouldn't be any permanent damage unless you see some bleeding. There have been cases of people rupturing their eardrum from improperly blowing their nose. If you have bleeding, see a doctor right away.

I don't have the reference handy, but I do not believe there is a waiver for partial deafness.

JoeInVille
04-04-08, 04:07 PM
Im sure that your hearing problem would have to be addressed in MEPS. There were some guys with me in MEPS that had horrible hearing so if you cant pass the hearing test it may be a problem :(. However, the army does have a hearing waiver but im not sure about the Marines.

Books
04-04-08, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I obviously hope it's temporary as well. I'm actually quite scared at the moment... The only things I can hear is the bass thumping away on my boom box or car horns or whatever. Interesting perspective though.

NeedSomePT
04-05-08, 04:40 PM
Don't worry about it. I must have had more ear infections in my life (especially as a small child) than most people in the world. I still have very good hearing. Out of the 8 people who took the hearing test at the same time as me at MEPS I had by far the best score.

If you're that worried you should think about visiting a doctor, but IMO you don't need to do that just yet.

Books
04-06-08, 10:02 AM
Well, they popped today in the shower. It was disgusting; There was a lot of crap pouring out of my ears, but luckily there was no blood. Had to be one of the single most revolting experiences of my life. Now I can hear though, thank God.