View Full Version : Deployed Marines' pet dog stolen

thedrifter
04-04-08, 01:08 PM
Deployed Marines' pet dog stolen
By Sophia Rodriguez
The Post and Courier
Friday, April 4, 2008

http://media.charleston.net/img/photos/2008/04/03/lunt_t180.jpg

Jayme Lunt poses for one last picture with Buddy before being deployed to Iraq. His family has been posting signs and looking for the dog since he was stolen the day after Easter.

Buddy, a brindle English bull mastiff, was driven 3,000 miles from California to Moncks Corner to stay while his owners were stationed in Iraq.

Tasha Lunt recently returned from Camp Pendelton in southern California with very important cargo in tow: her sons' dog, Buddy. She was asked to take care of the lovable 2-year-old while her sons were stationed in Iraq with the Marine Corps.

The dog serves as a symbol of Jayme and Stephen Lunt to their mother, stepfather, Jeff Lunt, and sister, Niki Knight. Which is why they cannot bear the idea of telling them that Buddy was stolen from Tasha Lunt's house in Moncks Corner the Monday after Easter.

"My brothers have had such a rough year, this is not something we want to call them about in Iraq," Knight said.

The last time anyone saw Buddy was on March 24 when Jeff Lunt walked him that morning. When Niki Knight's grandfather, George Hearn, who lives next to her mother, went over to walk the dog that afternoon, the door was wide open and Buddy's collar was on the ground.

Knight and her family are worried about Buddy's safety.

"Back here in the woods, dogs fight, so we're totally freaking out," Knight said. "I just don't want anyone to hit him or be mean to him, because he's such a nice dog."

Buddy is a brindle English bull mastiff that Knight describes as sweet and kind. He has a long tail, floppy ears, black snout and weighs about 130 pounds.

"He thinks he's a five-pound lap dog," Knight said jokingly. She said some people have told her that they have spotted Buddy around with a different collar.

"We all love this dog, not only because he is a wonderful dog but because until my Marine brothers come home safe, Buddy is our connection, a heart beat," Knight said.

Anyone with information about Buddy can call Cypress SPCA at 843-761-0535 or Niki Knight at 843-870-1399.

Reach Sophia Rodriguez at 937-5538.

Ellie