PDA

View Full Version : Flash To Help Learn Ranks

Seoke
04-03-08, 08:53 PM
Here ya go fellow poolees.

http://www.swfup.com/uploads/swf-176793.swf

Enjoy

(Fyi Spelling is very important so I suggest you just use the abbrevations PVT,PFC,LCPL,CPL,SGT,SSGT,GYSGT,MSGT,1SGT,MGYSGT,S GTMAJ,SGTMAJMC, 2nd Lt, 1st Lt, Capt, Maj, Lt Col, Col, Brig Gen, Maj Gen, Lt Gen, Gen, WO1, CWO2, CWO3, CWO4, CWO5 exactly as they are here or just type out the full names such as Private, Private First Class, and so on. Capitalize all the first letters =P)

Hope this helps, I'm going to be making a Marine Corp History one soon, if you want that uploaded as well just let me know.

TSchultz
04-03-08, 09:27 PM
Very cool. Did you make this?

Either way, it irritated me that "Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps" was missing an 's' on 'Corps,' so I got that one wrong everytime until I realized it didn't like the way I spelled it.

But other than that, Very cool. Definetely helped me out.:thumbup:

Seoke
04-03-08, 09:30 PM
Yup I sure did =P But yeah I'll fix that >> sorry xD I typed a ton in that theres always one mistake that needs to be fixed. ^_^ Then tonight after I get that one done I'll be working on the USMC History one. Feel free to give suggestions and such.

Psurichie
04-03-08, 09:39 PM
Thank you very much Seoke. Great job

cfranco89
04-03-08, 10:06 PM
Wow, very nice job. Maybe this will become a stickie?

Seoke
04-03-08, 10:10 PM
Alright, thanks for the comments everyone. I'll be making a USMC history one too, or possibly just adding it to the same flash, not sure yet ^_^

Seoke
04-03-08, 11:08 PM
http://www.swfup.com/uploads/swf-176884.swf

Theres the updated version

I can't seem to edit my original post

davblay
04-03-08, 11:36 PM
Outstanding Poolee! I think this should be a "STICKY" as well!

Semper Fi

Dave

ZSKI
04-03-08, 11:42 PM
Question Poolee where is Gunner?

davblay
04-04-08, 12:07 AM
http://www.und.edu/org/mao/rank_structure.pdf

There is no rank listed as Gunner (officially)!

Semper Fi

Dave

Seoke
04-04-08, 01:55 AM
Gunner is an unoffical term (not an official rank the Marine actually keeps his ranks as CWO5) to signify a CWO5 that is an Infantry Weapons Officer.

Drock54
04-04-08, 08:45 AM
You should try and make one for general orders

thezero
04-04-08, 09:28 AM
That is very helpful. I need to start trying to remember the higher echoleon (sp). PVT-MSGT I have down pact, from there I start to get a little sketchy

outlaw3179
04-04-08, 10:18 AM
Hey poolee, <br />
<br />
Thats some good s*it right there. Way to take charge and take care of your fellow poolees. <br />
<br />
If you can do this with your General Orders , and JJDIDTIEBUCKLE

Seoke
04-04-08, 11:37 AM
Alright will do Marines. Next one coming up will be a general orders one.

Also Leatherneck.com admins/mods/whatever feel free to ask for the .swf files to host on your site if you would like to do something with them.

Old Marine
04-04-08, 11:56 AM
Since when does the Marine Corps not have the Marine Gunner. Isued to work for one in 1st Marine Division Ordnance Office, he wore the Bursting Bomb on one collar and his rank on the other. He was the 1st Marine Division Ammunition Officer and his name was (Gunner Alexander).

Seoke
04-04-08, 12:33 PM
Its not an officially recognized rank and has no pay grade. His pay grade is still CWO5 and his official rank is Chief Warrant Officer 5, He is called a gunner due to his position though. It is a title, not a rank.

Brandon1
04-04-08, 12:35 PM
I did 60 of them, and I didnt see a First Sergeant or a Master Gunnery Sergeant anywhere. Would that be because it just didnt come up for me?

Seoke
04-04-08, 12:42 PM
If anyone else has this issue let me know, I may have typed something wrong but don't have time to look right now, finishing up my work

ZSKI
04-04-08, 02:56 PM
Gunner is an unoffical term (not an official rank the Marine actually keeps his ranks as CWO5) to signify a CWO5 that is an Infantry Weapons Officer.
But! it was on my bootcamp test i do remember that. And i have seen gunners and they do wear a bursting bomg as rank on there coller. It is an offical rank. He may not have a higher pay grade but gues what SGTMAJ MC doesn't eather he is an E-9 he just wears a rank according to his billet.

Seoke
04-04-08, 03:00 PM
Alright, I was wondering if it was in boot camp or not, was actually talking to davblay about that last night, I may have to put it into the flash.

"A Chief Warrant Officer, CWO5, serving in the MOS 0306 "Infantry Weapons Officer" carries a special title, "Marine Gunner" (not a rank). A Marine Gunner replaces the Chief Warrant Officer insignia on the left collar with a bursting bomb insignia. Other warrant officers are sometimes informally also referred to as "Gunner," but this usage is not correct."

ZSKI
04-04-08, 03:14 PM
Ok i give where are you getting that because if it was unnofical why would they teach it to us in boot.

Seoke
04-04-08, 03:17 PM
Because even if its not 'official' it is a very commonly used term =P I'm thinking about throwing it into the flash though anyways.

Books
04-04-08, 04:18 PM
Why is Lt Gen a higher rank than Maj Gen?

Seoke
04-04-08, 05:03 PM
Because it goes Brigadier General, Major General, Lt General, and General

To be official the definition of lietuenant is deputy: an assistant with power to act when his superior is absent. In the absence of a 4 star then a 3 star would take power =P

Books
04-04-08, 05:05 PM
Because it goes Brigadier General, Major General, Lt General, and General

To be official the definition of lietuenant is deputy: an assistant with power to act when his superior is absent. In the absence of a 4 star then a 3 star would take power =P

Right, I understand that, but one would think it would be opposite, considering Major is higher than Lieutenant, but Maj Gen is lower than Lt Gen...

Seoke
04-04-08, 05:30 PM
Lol that works too =P But now that you've had a conversation about it you'll be sure to remember =P 2 star is Maj Gen 3 star is Lt Gen

Books
04-04-08, 05:38 PM
Lol that works too =P But now that you've had a conversation about it you'll be sure to remember =P 2 star is Maj Gen 3 star is Lt Gen

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>Touché
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

sparkie
04-04-08, 05:40 PM
Wo5?

Seoke
04-04-08, 06:04 PM
SGT, Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no WO5 only CWO5 it goes WO1 CWO2 CWO3 CWO4 CWO5, not meaning any disrespect >>

Brandon1
04-04-08, 06:17 PM
I did 100 of them, and got 99 correct. The only one I missed was Lance Corporal, because I didnt know you had to spell the whole rank out lol.

McSweeney
04-04-08, 06:19 PM
Hey nicely done, but i Believe its "Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps" Not "Corp"

Brandon1
04-04-08, 06:23 PM
Disregard my last post. I found my error. I was typing to quickly and put in two C's so I made it LCCPL. If I put in LCPL it works, so that was my fault lol.

Seoke
04-04-08, 08:10 PM
Yup :3 McSweeny this has already been taken care of =P I just have yet to upload it =/

ZSKI
04-05-08, 12:21 AM
Because even if its not 'official' it is a very commonly used term =P I'm thinking about throwing it into the flash though anyways.

You still did not tell me where you got that information. It is an offical rank **** they wear different insignia, which is authorized for wear, it is a question on the boot test, and i looked and its in my old green monster.

davblay
04-05-08, 12:51 AM
You still did not tell me where you got that information. It is an offical rank **** they wear different insignia, which is authorized for wear, it is a question on the boot test, and i looked and its in my old green monster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_rank_insignia

which states:

Warrant Officers

Warrant Officers provide leadership and skills in specialized fields and skills. Unlike most other militaries, the American military confers commissions on its Warrant Officers, though they are generally not responsible for leadership outside of their specialty. Warrant officers come primarily from the senior Non-Commissioned Officer ranks.
A Chief Warrant Officer, CWO2-CWO5, serving in the MOS 0306 "Infantry Weapons Officer" carries a special title, "Marine Gunner" (not a rank). A Marine Gunner replaces the Chief Warrant Officer insignia on the LEFT collar with a bursting bomb insignia. Other warrant officers are sometimes informally also referred to as "Gunner" but this usage is not correct.

------------------------------------------------------

Does that help clear this up Marines? :beer:

Semper Fi

Dave

Hologram
04-05-08, 02:17 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="j">Touch&#233;
</td></tr></tbody></table>That, and you can used the acronym Be My Little General.

/edit: If nothing else, National Guardsmen are very helpful. A lot of former Marines too, at least in the Oregon National Guard.

Seoke
04-05-08, 02:39 AM
My Uncle is a National Guardsman (SFC Actually) In Omaha Nebraska and he's a former Marine. Probably the most knowledgeable one I've ever met.

jungholee90
04-05-08, 02:57 AM
This is extremely helpful! Thanks a lot.

Old Marine
04-05-08, 07:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_rank_insignia

which states:

Warrant Officers

Warrant Officers provide leadership and skills in specialized fields and skills. Unlike most other militaries, the American military confers commissions on its Warrant Officers, though they are generally not responsible for leadership outside of their specialty. Warrant officers come primarily from the senior Non-Commissioned Officer ranks.
A Chief Warrant Officer, CWO2-CWO5, serving in the MOS 0306 "Infantry Weapons Officer" carries a special title, "Marine Gunner" (not a rank). A Marine Gunner replaces the Chief Warrant Officer insignia on the LEFT collar with a bursting bomb insignia. Other warrant officers are sometimes informally also referred to as "Gunner" but this usage is not correct.

------------------------------------------------------

Does that help clear this up Marines? :beer:

Semper Fi

Dave

Fondly refered to as: Lipstick Lt's.

Seoke
04-05-08, 11:43 PM
New site. http://www.marineinfantry.com/ranks.swf this will always have the most updated version.

Brandon1
04-06-08, 05:44 AM
So is there still no First Sergeant and Master Gunnery Sergeant? Or did I just miss them again lol?

TSchultz
04-06-08, 01:10 PM
First Sergeant, Master Gunnery Sergeant, and Staff Sergeant never came up for me.

JeredA
04-06-08, 01:33 PM
Great work, if there was one for the general orders i believe that would be awesome also

Seoke
04-06-08, 02:06 PM
Dammit, alright, I'll take a look at it. SSGT, 1SGT and MGYSGT will be fixed today sometime.

I'll also be starting a new thread most likely so people stop going to the first flash and go to the one I can update =P

NeedSomePT
04-06-08, 02:11 PM
Was I the only one having a problem with the way it requires the ranks to be typed?

Some seem to be abbreviated while others are written out.

Could you make it so that they are all in the same format?

Seoke
04-06-08, 03:34 PM
They can all be abbreviated or written out.

They should be written out one of two ways. Lance Corporal or lance corporal both work. Capitalize the first letter of all words (in the exception of the word of)

Or they can be abbreviated. PVT, PFC, LCPL, CPL, SGT, etc.. for enlisted

2nd Lt, 1st Lt, Capt, etc for Officers.

Second and First are both spelled out in First Sergeant, Second Lieutenant, and so on.

Brandon1
04-06-08, 03:35 PM
Oh yeah, now that I have it down 100 out of 100...Damn i'm good lol.

Seoke
04-06-08, 06:46 PM
Gratz =P Look forward to the General Orders one as soon as I get some time... probably tomorrow/the next day