PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Shellbacks!

robbywatson0331
04-02-08, 10:57 PM
Crossed the magical line in 95. West Pac after we left Indonesia.

I have lost my certificate. It was a larger size certificate with all the davy jones and nautical themes.

Does anyone know where youd get these things?

Imnot wanting to hang it in my living room, but it kills me to think i lost a part of my memoralbilia.

Thanks gents.

Robby Watson
0331 91-95

jetdoc
04-03-08, 09:42 AM
Robby, I too lost mine and I used to have the info to get another, I could've sworn it was at the Naval Academy but I've lost that info and never got a copy myself.

I did a search and this link seems to have good info on it.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_a_replacement_certificate_available_for_a _Golden_Shellback

robbywatson0331
04-03-08, 05:54 PM
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

I never hated non skid so bad in my life!

jetdoc
04-03-08, 08:34 PM
Let me know how it goes, I will try to find that one address that was on the Naval Academy. I live about 1/2 hr away so I was just going to drive there to get mine.

.......Just did some more
searching, here it is, I knew one addy was at the USNA.

Ordering Unofficial US Navy Certificates

Related Resources: Crossing the Line, Plank Owner and Other Unofficial Certificates Acquired by Naval Personnel (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq92-1.htm)
The certificates and cards Sailors receive as mementos for crossing the Equator or the Arctic Circle or for being plankowners are purchased by the individual command from various printers. These are NOT official documents. Copies would have to be obtained from one of the various printers listed below.

Non Government Sources:

Note: Distribution of this information by the Department of the Navy does not constitute endorsement by the Department of the Navy of the information or services from the firms, and organizations listed hereafter. This information is provided for informational purposes only.

Tiffany Publishing Company
200 W. 22nd Street
Norfolk, VA 23517
(757) 622-2915
(757) 627-1898 FAX
e-mail: info@tiffanypublishing.com

Certificates,
U.S. Naval Institute
291 Wood Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5034
(410) 295-1053
e-mail: certificates@usni.org

If your firm or organization wants to be considered for inclusion in the above listing, please supply a written description of your services and products to the Website Committee at the Naval Historical Center

jetdoc
04-03-08, 08:46 PM
This is what mine looked like.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/jetdoc/514958907_ebb2803959.jpg

OLD_SALT
04-03-08, 08:49 PM
Crossed in 1967 on the way to Nam. USS New (DD 818).

Roger on the "non skid", and also the cut off fire hose paddles.

In one of my many relocation's (as a civilian), I lost both my Certificate and my wallet card. The only thing I have, is the summons from the "Royal Sheriff".

robbywatson0331
04-03-08, 09:19 PM
Jet doc......thats awesome brotha!

Only problem is, i haveno idea what coordinates we crossed at. I wonder if they have a record. It was on the USS Germantown in or around july-august 1995.

We also did a dog and pony at Iwo Jima for the 50th commemorative.

I even lost my sand for that. Too many transfers and moves as a civilian.

You going to try and get a replacment Shellback certificate?

jetdoc
04-04-08, 12:33 AM
Hey Old Salt, I hear you on the hoses, yikes. I was reading how the Navy is becoming more PC about the whole Shell back initiation...that would suck if do.

Robby, yea man no problem brother. Crap, I didn't think about the coordinates, thats a good point. I don't remember ours either, it was in 80 on our IO cruise on the Midway.

I was going to call the USNA tomorrow about doing an order, I will ask what they say about the coordinates, ok?

SlingerDun
04-04-08, 01:37 AM
If the ship was headed through the Malacca Straits, the most efficient IO bearing to reach 'checkpoint' 00.0 Latitude without steaming to far off course appears roughly between 70.0 and 80.0 E Longitude. A bearing from Western Australia considering the earths curvature looks to be similar. I also lost my Shellback shingle, so dead reckoning 00.0 Latitude [sic], 75.0 E Longitude would work for me.:marine:

--->Dave

Quinbo
04-04-08, 05:05 AM
http://www.geocities.com/nhbludog/bulkyker1/scan0015.jpg

Quinbo
04-04-08, 05:55 AM
The 1-MC sounds whale on the port side flying fish on the bow.

jetdoc
04-05-08, 08:05 AM
If the ship was headed through the Malacca Straits, the most efficient IO bearing to reach 'checkpoint' 00.0 Latitude without steaming to far off course appears roughly between 70.0 and 80.0 E Longitude. A bearing from Western Australia considering the earths curvature looks to be similar. I also lost my Shellback shingle, so dead reckoning 00.0 Latitude [sic], 75.0 E Longitude would work for me.:marine:

--->Dave

Thanks for the info, we did head through the Straits of Malacca so those numbers will work.

cvn74
04-28-08, 04:13 AM
Hey Robbi Check Out the USNI ( US. Naval Institute ) They have shellback Certificates and cards you can purchase with you information on them.