PDA

View Full Version : Moline teacher home from Iraq -- again

thedrifter
04-02-08, 07:42 AM
Print publication date: 04/02/2008
Moline teacher home from Iraq -- again
Comment on this story

By Jessica Fink, jfink@qconline.com

Back from his third tour of duty in Iraq, English teacher Chris McKenzie has reached celebrity status with John Deere Middle School students.

Mr. McKenzie was met with a standing ovation from students and faculty when he took the podium Tuesday during a special "welcome home" ceremony at the Moline school.

The band played The Marines' Hymn - the official U.S. Marine Corps song - in the background, while Mr. McKenzie stood before the cheering 7th and 8th graders.

"This is a sight for sore eyes," he told them. "This really is my extended family."

Mr. McKenzie, who's taught English and physical education at John Deere for 11 years, will return to his position at the school this fall. A Chief Warrant Officer 3 for the Marines, he's approaching his 19th year of service and remains on active duty.

"He's the type of guy we are just so happy to have back, and we are so grateful for all that he's done," said Carl Johnson, John Deere Middle School principal.

Former students sent Mr. McKenzie letters, cards, e-mails and packages regularly. He said those he served with overseas joked about his "fan club" back home.

"There was a period of time, especially around the holidays, where I was receiving things on an almost daily basis," he said.

He recalled his excitement upon receiving one particular package containing a bag of Doritos, which had survived the trip to Iraq unbroken.

"I don't know how they did it," he said. "But they packaged it in such a way that when I opened the bag they were still intact. I held before me an intact Dorito. It was almost ceremonial."

Mr. McKenzie and his wife, Lori, have three daughters: Madison, 10, Miranda, 7, and Morgan, 4.

As a token of his appreciation for all the support he and his family received, Mr. McKenzie presented the school with two flags he flew while in Iraq. One was the American flag, and the other a John Deere Middle School flag.

"We're going to build a presentation case so we can display them right out front when we enter the building," Mr. Johnson said.

Mr. McKenzie reunited with many former students during Tuesday's ceremony. "At this age, the kids change so fast," he said. "I have to picture them a foot shorter. I look forward to getting reacquainted with everyone again."

Branden Bollman, 14, shook hands with his former 7th grade English teacher after the ceremony and welcomed him back.

"Everybody's happy to have him back," Mr. Bollman said. "And I'm hoping he'll stay here for a long time."

"I'm overwhelmed," Mr. McKenzie said. "You get back and you see all this and you realize it wasn't just you deploying. I had a lot of people pulling for me."

It's easy to take things for granted while you're here, he said. "Everything is just sweeter now. I appreciate everything a lot more. There's no place like home."

Ellie