PDA

View Full Version : Why Marines Fight

Osotogary
04-01-08, 12:20 PM
Why Marines Fight by James Brady, copyright Nov.2007.

Just came across this book in the public library. It contains over 40 vignettes and stories such as, "A Dublinder wanders into Times Square, joins the Marines, and heads to Vietnam.
Perhaps you will like it.
Adios,for now.
Gary

Zulu 36
04-01-08, 02:35 PM
Why Marines Fight by James Brady, copyright Nov.2007.

Just came across this book in the public library. It contains over 40 vignettes and stories such as, "A Dublinder wanders into Times Square, joins the Marines, and heads to Vietnam.
Perhaps you will like it.
Adios,for now.
Gary

I read it. It's OK, but I don't think it lived up to the hype that was made about it.

FistFu68
04-01-08, 03:52 PM
:usmc: WELCOME TOO VIETNAM~MACHO MAN :usmc: :iwo:

Osotogary
04-01-08, 08:39 PM
I read it. It's OK, but I don't think it lived up to the hype that was made about it.
Well, Zulu 36, perhaps it does or perhaps it doesn't. I know for sure that you certainly have an insiders perspective that I never will... by sheer experience. Along time ago, when my son joined up, I thought that it might not be a bad idea to read as much about the Marine Corps as I possibly could and to learn about the Marine Corps from as many Marines that I could. I know for sure that I have not retained as much as I would like to have.
Now, I haven't yet gotten in to the book as yet but I looks like I may be revisiting stories that I have either heard about or read about in the past. I'm looking forward to the revisit and to learning something that I didn't know before.
Adios, for now.

JoeInVille
04-01-08, 09:16 PM
I have read the book and in my opinion it was mediocre. I read the book "we were one" before it and that was possibly one of the best Marine books I have read. Dont get me wrong, some of the stories were great in "Why Marines Fight" but some of them were not so great.

Zulu 36
04-02-08, 05:44 AM
I don't mean to discourage you from reading it. The book is fine. It's just the author hit the morning show circuit pretty hard and got a lot of press about the book. Although he is a former-Marine and Korean War vet, the author is anti-Iraq war and the media were happy to have him on.

To his credit, what I saw on TV, he mostly stuck to talking about the the book and Marines and tried to brush off questions about his anti-war feelings.

Maybe I just expected a little better because I got sucked into the hype.

sgtrock1970
04-02-08, 06:07 AM
James Brady has written several Marine related novels, probably the best I have ever read is a fictional novel about Chosin called " The Marines Of Autumn"-great book.

Gator347
04-02-08, 06:28 AM
http://www.webgriffin.com/corp.html

Try W.E.B. Griffin "The Corps"

THE CORPS
From the aviators to the Raiders, officers to dog soldiers, they are the best and the bravest of America's military elite. They are the U.S. Marine Corps—facing the greatest challenges of their lives.
"For some of us, reading the Corps series is like eating popcorn at the movies: you can never eat just one kernel, and you can never get enough. Griffin captures the smell of the smoke of battle as vividly as if one were on the beach at Guadalcanal." —The Philadelpia Inquirer
"This man has really done his homework... I confess to impatiently awaiting the appearance of succeeding books in the series." —The Washington Post
"A brilliant story... not only worthwhile, it's a public service." —The Washington Times

Eric Hood
04-03-08, 06:40 PM
I read:"Why Marines Fight". I give him about a B-. I liked the recent book about DIs much better. "American Spartans" was also a better read.
By the way, did he need to write a book? I can answer it in one sentence; Because they like to fight.
Semper Fi,
Eric:flag: