PDA

View Full Version : Know which school I'm going to, enroute to being an officer.

Ub3rmike
03-31-08, 01:17 PM
Visited UCSB and UCI over the spring break. UCSB was pretty cool, had the beach and a pretty nice climate, Isle Vista and Santa Barbara were pretty nice locales too. I was initially skeptical about UC Irvine until I visited that campus. UCI has a pretty comparable climate to SB with Newport beach several minutes away. Seemed like UCI had a more aesthetically pleasing campus and a more prestigious computer sciences and engineering program. I'll be filing statement of intent to register for UCI pretty soon.

I also was looking up some info on Newport beach and just learned that its the location of Navy OCS, and that Marine drill instructors have a heavy hand in the development and screening of Navy officer candidates. (It was pretty funny watching Navy officer candidates being forced to chant "1, 2, 3, 4, I love Marine Corps" while lifting their rifles)

My dad told me to pursue a MOS which can put a computer engineering degree to use, but I'm still pretty adamant about pursuing infantry if I can make it into TBS. My recruiters have been pretty excited and have been helpful in making sure I can get in contact with an OSO and get my package started the day I'll come back from boot camp for PLC. Would any Marines happen to know what kind of MOS field would make use of a computer sciences/engineering degree? Right now I'm considering 0206 (Signal Intel/electronic ground warfare) since it seems pretty technical and nature and may be a secondary or tertiary MOS preference.