PDA

View Full Version : Naperville Marine finally meets his son

thedrifter
03-31-08, 09:41 AM
Naperville Marine finally meets his son
By Melissa Jenco | Daily Herald Staff
Published: 3/28/2008 4:51 PM | Updated: 3/29/200 12:11 AM

Three months after Marine Sgt. William Chevalier watched his son's birth via satellite, the proud father finally got to hold his baby in his arms.

The two met early Friday morning in Naperville when Chevalier returned from Iraq, where he had been stationed for the past seven months.

"It's beyond description, honestly," Chevalier said just hours later. "The rush of emotions is very high right now."

Christian James Chevalier was born Dec. 18 at Naperville's Edward Hospital as his father watched from Iraq, coaching his wife, Janelle, through labor. The satellite link was provided by an organization called Freedom Calls Foundation.

Janelle had moved to Naperville several months before to live with her husband's family during her pregnancy.

While grateful to have had the chance to watch Christian's birth, there's nothing like the real thing. Chevalier said all the details that didn't come out in photographs came to life when they finally met in person.

"It was wonderful. I got to hold him and smell him for the first time," he said. "I tried to involve as many senses as possible in the experience because I had been seeing him in pictures and e-mail and Webcam for so long. It was nice to finally hold him."

His wife said she is "on cloud nine" having her husband home and watching him interact with their son.

"Christian knew exactly who he was … and he was laughing and smiling," she said.

The two already have plenty in common.

"He's definitely got my ears," Chevalier said, laughing. "Apparently he has my appetite. It looks like he's going to be a big boy."

As Chevalier's career with the Marines comes to an end this summer, he is pursuing his "dream job" -- a career with the FBI.

As for whether Christian might follow in his father's military footsteps one day, that will be up to him to decide.

"I would encourage him to do whatever makes him happy, and if that's the military, so be it," Chevalier said. "It's definitely something I'm not ashamed of. I'm proud I served my country."

Ellie