PDA

View Full Version : Educators go to Marine boot camp

thedrifter
03-31-08, 07:04 AM
Educators go to Marine boot camp

By Diane Saunders
Staff Writer

For just a little while, three members of the Safford High School staff became one of “The Few. The Proud. The Marines.”

Teachers Mike Dorrel and Jenifer Swapp and registrar Lauri Windsor spent five days at the U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot at San Diego — from Feb. 25 through Feb. 29.

The “recruits” from Safford were part of a group of 30 educators from throughout Arizona who spent their Marine Corps boot camp experience with a group of 30 educators from Denver.

Windsor said she often fields questions from students who are considering joining the military after graduation. She thought participating in the Marine camp would help her answer students’ questions.

“I wanted to see for myself,” she said.

Dorrel and Windsor recalled getting off the bus at the Recruit Depot and standing on the yellow footprints painted on the ground. The yellow footprints show recruits where to place their feet when standing at attention.

Their five days with the Marines included tours of the barracks and other facilities at boot camp.

“We were actually able to participate in some obstacle courses,” Windsor said.

The Safford educators observed Marine recruits and had opportunities to talk with them.

“There was a sense of brotherhood (among the Marines),” Windsor said.

Dorrel, who teaches American history and U.S. government, said he decided to participate in the camp because he comes from a military family but did not choose to pursue a military career.

He said there are many career opportunities in the Marine Corps, including medical, legal, mechanical and music.

“They made sure we had a real, true sense of what’s available,” Dorrel said. “It was worthwhile.”

The educators learned about Marine Corps recruit training, including marching, the bayonet course, martial arts and a forced march known as “the crucible.”

In the latter, Marine recruits are required to overcome obstacles and put their survival skills to the test over a 54-hour period — with little sleep or food.

After successfully completing the crucible, the recruits participate in the Emblem Ceremony.

“It’s the first time they are called a United States Marine. It was touching to see,” Dorrel said.

The educators also had an opportunity to fire an M-16 rifle simulator and a 9 MM pistol simulator, he said.

Swapp, who teaches special education, also enjoyed her time with the Marine Corps.

“It was a great learning experience for me,” Swapp said in a written statement. “I gained a whole new respect for the armed services. I’m very grateful to them for defending our country.”

Ellie