PDA

View Full Version : Confidence course

JimmehT
03-30-08, 09:56 AM
or O course, or whatever it may be. I had a question regarding the so called "Stairway to Heavan" which is the big log wall thing. I was wondering if you have a "safety device" attached to you or if there is any safety type precautions?

Thank you

ZSKI
03-30-08, 09:58 AM
Well there is a mat and your not allowed to go over the top run you go under it. Aslong as you maintain 3 points of contact no way you can fall.

thewookie
03-30-08, 10:18 AM
or O course, or whatever it may be. I had a question regarding the so called "Stairway to Heavan" which is the big log wall thing. I was wondering if you have a "safety device" attached to you or if there is any safety type precautions?

Thank you

No safety devices, what type of confidence would that build?

There are plenty of Drill Instructors around willing to give you helpful hints and nice suggestions so you don't fall.

Plus, when you're going up on that thing your whole body is filled with adrenaline and it's frogs azz water tight, and you are not going to fall. If you did however, you'd only make the DI's more angry and that's not a good idea so hang on.

JimmehT
03-30-08, 11:09 AM
Very true, very true. Thank you both for your information. I always thought you had to go over the top log, that's why I was concerned.

Your help is appreciated =].

McSweeney
03-30-08, 01:23 PM
[quote=thewookie]

There are plenty of Drill Instructors around willing to give you helpful hints and nice suggestions so you don't fall.
[quote]

LOL

Quinbo
03-30-08, 06:45 PM
My how things change in our kinder gentler Corps ;)

BR34
03-30-08, 07:59 PM
There was someone in my PLT that fell off that thing. He made it to Tday 18 (I think) and they sent him home with a broken arm.

It was his second time on the island when he was with my PLT, and he got through it all the second time around.

Zulu 36
03-30-08, 08:05 PM
I see in the training matrix that recruits only do the O-course twice during boot camp. It seems to me that we did it a couple of time per week in 1971.

rvillac2
03-31-08, 12:36 AM
My how things change in our kinder gentler Corps ;)
Hey, Sgt Q, we went over the top, right? I don't remember going under anything.

Also, in our day, the DI's weren't allowed on the obstacle at the same time as recruits. They were afraid that a recruit would grab onto them and pull them off, too.

Covey_Rider
03-31-08, 02:11 AM
When I went through we were not allowed to go over the top rung due to the fact that a recruit had recently fallen while going over the top. There were never any DI's on an obstacle while recruits were on it. There are no safety devices whatsoever while going through the confidence course. The whole entire point of the course is to build confidence in yourself, NOT build confidence in safety equipment.

SlingerDun
03-31-08, 02:40 AM
Well i can't feature that particular 'obstacle' but if its a vertical structure of hewn logs? They're kinda slickery so the recruit should be fit for corks, climbing spurs, an anchor rope for tying-in, split grain leather gloves and a hard hat. Of course the kevlar pot should suffice.

Quinbo
03-31-08, 04:47 AM
Hey, Sgt Q, we went over the top, right? I don't remember going under anything.

Also, in our day, the DI's weren't allowed on the obstacle at the same time as recruits. They were afraid that a recruit would grab onto them and pull them off, too.

We went over the top and if I remember right the top log was about 4 feet from the one below it so a real freaking challenge to get over. If you didn't go over the top log you got to attempt to push the earth out of orbit and then try to make it spin faster.

kbs95125
03-31-08, 10:25 AM
jumping is the fastest way down....

Slide for life.... there is something that seems to scare more recruits then ever. Must have been something to do with those DI's trying to help us keep that cable from wobbling.

The funniest thing you'll see during recruit training is someone crying on the O course. That is, if there was anything funny about recruit training.

Zulu 36
03-31-08, 11:39 AM
If you didn't go over the top log you got to attempt to push the earth out of orbit and then try to make it spin faster.

I think my platoon succeeded in making the earth go faster. Our DIs would have us doing more bends and mothers and mountain climbers than anything else in the pit. Maybe we were the true cause of global warming? :evilgrin:

THAT AINT IT
03-31-08, 06:01 PM
we went over the top and i graduated from the Island in september last year. i never got the chance to do the slide for life it was shut down for some reason. none of our Drill Instructors were allowed on the obstacles with us they demonstrated it and got down before we went up. we had some recruits freeze on the a-frame at the very top. they just refused to go down. it mightve been the funniest thing i ever saw at boot camp.

kbs95125
03-31-08, 06:52 PM
Our instructors "motivated" us on some of the obstacles. I hate the A frame haha.

ZSKI
04-01-08, 12:51 AM
I see in the training matrix that recruits only do the O-course twice during boot camp. It seems to me that we did it a couple of time per week in 1971.

are you refering to the O-course or the confidence course the O course we did once or twice a week the confidence course we did twice.

egbutler1
04-01-08, 12:59 AM
Man i don't remember and its only been 4 years since i was in boot camp. I remember the slide for life and our DIs shaking the wire and i ate it off it hit the net and did like 3 flips before i hit the water. I don't remember to many 'saftey devices' in boot camp other than on the repel tower. But alot has changed in just a few short years. I don't even want to think about how the old salts had it.

ZSKI
04-01-08, 08:14 AM
Nothing really chaned the major saftey device is still the woodchips they put down and thats about it lol.

bgsuwoody
04-01-08, 04:25 PM
Well I mean thats all good and well and it may be the new Corps or whatever, but there are still those sadistic Drill Instructors out there who would still shake that thing and the A-frame and just go crazy on ya. Makes it more fun...and then they would laugh and make fun of you while you try to do it...God I love the Marine Corps. Life may suck, but it is always better when someone else is in more pain or in the same pain right beside you lol.

egbutler1
04-01-08, 04:39 PM
Well I mean thats all good and well and it may be the new Corps or whatever, but there are still those sadistic Drill Instructors out there who would still shake that thing and the A-frame and just go crazy on ya. Makes it more fun...and then they would laugh and make fun of you while you try to do it...God I love the Marine Corps. Life may suck, but it is always better when someone else is in more pain or in the same pain right beside you lol.

I'm no "OLD salt" or from the "old Corps", I just don't remember much about boot camp and i don't consider the Marine Corps old Corps yet. I will reserve that for the old salts that did their time years and years ago. Alot has changed, in fact when we got our first bootdrop in the fleet i asked about bootcamp and it had already changed a bunch. I don't even want to think about how the salts had it.

bgsuwoody
04-01-08, 04:47 PM
No doubt it has, but things change, Mothers of America is created, "hazing" becomes an issue, and Hillary Clinton was born...I mean the whole world can't be perfect