PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Postal Facility Evacuated After Powder Found

thedrifter
04-22-03, 10:16 AM
U.S. Postal Facility Evacuated After Powder Found
Tue April 22, 2003 10:40 AM ET
SEATTLE (Reuters) - A postal facility was evacuated in Tacoma, Washington, on Tuesday after brown powder found on a mail sorting table initially tested positive as a biotoxin, MSNBC reported.
MSNBC said 94 people were evacuated from the mail distribution center and four of them were decontaminated. An army unit was brought in to investigate and carry out further tests.

U.S. authorities introduced new protective and reaction measures for biological attacks after letters laced with anthrax killed five people in 2001 as America launched its war on terrorism after the attack on the World Trade Center.

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
04-22-03, 10:36 AM
Biotoxin Scare Hits Wash. Postal Facility

6 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

TACOMA, Wash. - A mail distribution facility was evacuated early Tuesday after some brown powder was found at the building. A preliminary test indicated the powder might be a biotoxin, a fire department spokeswoman said.

The material was found about 12:45 a.m. on a table where mail is processed, Fire Capt. Jolene Davis said. Four people who were close to it were decontaminated as a precaution, she said, but no injuries were reported and no one showed any signs of being ill.

In Washington, Department of Homeland Security spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said local authorities reported the field tests showed the possible presence in the powder of plague or botulinum toxin, which causes botulism.

Roehrkasse, Davis and Postal Inspector Jeff Scobba all cautioned that the preliminary test might give a false result and further testing was needed.

An Army National Guard unit from nearby Fort Lewis, which has better equipment for determining biohazards, was called in to help investigate, Davis said.

She said 94 people were evacuated from the building.

Scobba said the source of the powder was not known, but that all letters in the area had been bagged up.

He said no threats had been received.

Sempers,

Roger

SHOOTER1
04-22-03, 09:09 PM
Yep, It was a false alarm Roger.:D

greensideout
04-22-03, 09:58 PM
I deal with this all the time! LOL

White powder, gray powder, etc.

We once had a "beeping" package that I had to witness being opened. Sounds of "BEEP- BEEP- BEEP." Why am I doing this I wondered! I'm giving up my life for the Postal Service if this thing goes off???

It didn't of course, it was an alarm keychain device.