PDA

View Full Version : Tell it to the Marines

thedrifter
03-30-08, 06:26 AM
Tell it to the Marines
Thomas Lifson

Bookworm flagged for our attention a great story: an 84 year old man carrying a grocery bag in each arm, a Marine veteran, was accosted by a knife-wielding teenage boy on the streets of Santa Rosa, California at about 2 PM Wednesday. The Marin Independent-Journal account continues:
"Old man, give me your wallet or I'll cut you," the boy said.

The man said he was a former Marine who fought in three wars and had been threatened with knives and bayonets before.

The 84-year-old put his bags on the ground and told the boy that if he stepped closer he would be sorry. When the boy stepped closer, the man kicked him in the groin, knocking the youth to the sidewalk.

The ex-Marine picked up his grocery bags and walked home, leaving the teen doubled over.

My only quibble with the press account is that I am told there is no such thing as an ex-Marine. Those who have had the honor of serving in the Corps tell me "Once a Marine, always a Marine." Call them "former Marines."

Elderly ex-Marine gives teen thief a lesson
Staff Report
Article Launched: 03/27/2008 02:17:34 PM PDT

Bay City News Service

SANTA ROSA - A teenager learned it is not a good idea to try to rob a former U.S. Marine at knifepoint, no matter how old he is.

Santa Rosa police Sgt. Steve Bair said an 84-year-old man was walking on Fourth Street with a grocery bag in each arm when the boy approached him with a large knife at about 2 p.m. Wednesday.

"Old man, give me your wallet or I'll cut you," the boy said.

The man said he was a former Marine who fought in three wars and had been threatened with knives and bayonets before.

The 84-year-old put his bags on the ground and told the boy that if he stepped closer he would be sorry. When the boy stepped closer, the man kicked him in the groin, knocking the youth to the sidewalk.

The ex-Marine picked up his grocery bags and walked home, leaving the teen doubled over.

Ellie