PDA

View Full Version : Dad proud of sons in military service

thedrifter
03-29-08, 05:37 PM
03/28/2008
Dad proud of sons in military service
By: Jeffery Kurz , Staff

MERIDEN - In front of Dennis Cardona's Broad Street home flies a Marine Corps flag.

In the next few days another tribute to the military will be there, one honoring the service of Cardona's two sons in Iraq.

Army Master Sgt. Dennis Cardona Jr. is serving his third deployment in Iraq. Sgt. Omar Cardona was on his way Friday to his second tour of duty there. That's five Iraq deployments for one family.

Dennis Cardona, a 57-year-old former Marine from the Vietnam era, says he's extremely proud of his sons.
"But I'm also worried," he said. "Dennis has had a couple of close calls."

The conflict in Iraq recently reached two significant milestones: the fifth anniversary of the war and a death toll for the U.S. military there of 4,000.

Among the defining characteristics of the voluntary military involvement are the participation of Reserve troops and multiple tours of duty. Both Cardona brothers are Army reservists.

"In general, multiple deployments for members of the Reserve components, which includes the National Guard, are not unusual," said John Wiltse, deputy commissioner of the state Department of Veteran Affairs, who is also an Iraq war veteran.

Reservists serving multiple tours repeatedly shift from civilian life to military action that can be intense.
"To do that once can bring a lot of stress," said Wiltse.

"To do it twice or more can lead to a lot of stress. So that is one of the key challenges faced by this generation of veterans."

Of the 5,200 in the Connecticut National Guard, 4,000 have served in the global war on terror, which includes the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, said Lt. Col. John R. Whitford, Connecticut National Guard director of communications.

Individual members of the Guard have volunteered for redeployment, and one specialized unit is about to serve its third tour.

The Guard is also preparing to send units a second time later this spring, said Whitford.

When the Cardona brothers reunited at Dennis Cardona's home last July, Dennis Jr. told the Record-Journal the multiple deployments were hard on his family, which includes wife Jessica Mendez, also an Army reservist, and their two small children. Dennis Jr., 26, had been back 10 months at the time, but was gearing up for another 15-month deployment.

"I think the burden is placed on the few," said Dennis Sr. on Friday.

"I don't think it's fair; I think it's necessary if nobody else goes," he said. "Most of the veterans over there have been there before."

Cardona said the multiple deployments have helped cause dissension in American over the war.

"I really get upset when I hear about protesters," he said. "They're not for the war - who is? - but at least support the troops."

"When my son first came home, I said, 'Thank God, I can sleep now,'" he said. "But then he went back again."

Born in Puerto Rico, Dennis Cardona and his family moved to Meriden before he was a year old.

As soon as he was old enough, in 1969, he joined the Marines and served for two years in the Mediterranean.

He enlisted before graduating from Platt High School, but eventually earned his high school equivalency degree.

While Cardona says he signed up because he knew it was likely he'd be drafted, an equally motivating factor was the need to prove himself, because he felt treated as a second-class American citizen because he was Puerto Rican.

It was also "an opportunity to serve this great country," he said.

Three of Cardona's five brothers also joined the military, though he is the only Marine.

"By all my brothers serving in the military, it gives us a, you know - 'What have you done for your country lately?' " he said.

"The military is a tradition," he said. "And I'm very proud of it."

That may be an understatement.

Cardona arrives at the door wearing a red Marines T-shirt with gold lettering and a Marines baseball cap.

There are Marine Corps stickers on the speakers of his stereo system.

An upstairs bedroom is also a tribute room of sorts, where a visitor finds a framed canvas that includes portraits of Cardona, his brothers and sons, all in military uniform.

After he was divorced, Cardona's sons grew up living with their mother in Puerto Rico, but he's remained close.

"I didn't divorce them, they knew that," he said.

He bought a computer just so he could stay in touch with them while they're on duty in Iraq, via e-mail and Facebook.

An e-mail from Dennis Jr. in 2005, in which he observes that there are 40 phones for use by 1,200 troops, attests to the challenges involved in staying in touch.

Cardona was overjoyed a year ago, "when they were here, under my roof, at the same time."

A banner Cardona is having prepared will encourage drivers along Broad Street to "support the troops, two sons in Iraq."

It will include the names of his sons and the number of tours they're still serving in Iraq.

Ellie