PDA

View Full Version : My grandad

groneberg
03-28-08, 10:29 PM
who was part of the American invasion force for the Battle of Okinawa during World War II, often told me stories about how it was that day on the beach.

"the machinegunfire when we came ashore that day, will always be remembered... "

The special look in his eyes, when he told me stories from that old times, is priceless. He never told me specific details about what ever happend. -But we all knew that the sacrifice he did in his youth was the price to be paid for generations to come.

What he did, as a marine, changed his whole life.
the strenght he said, came from within the corps.

Okinawa was to be remembered as the final battle of World War II.
Still Marines fight for freedom on different places through the world .

Now? why cant I with a dual citizenship (swedish, american,) join them in the struggle for peace?? Why is it that i must seek help withitin you few, you proud, to join the same destiny as my grandad?

GySgtRet
03-28-08, 11:56 PM
This is quite an inspirational story of your grandad. I would think that if you went to a American Consulate you would be able to get the correct information to be able to serve in my Marine Corps and your grandad's. Duel citizenship is not a problem. If I remeber correctly you would need to declare your citenzenship to the United States, would that be a problem for you? This would be a question that I would have to ask myself if I were asking this question to be a Marine.

Keep us posted and Welcome to Leatherneck.com

Good luck

Gunny out
:usmc:

SlingerDun
03-29-08, 12:03 AM
who was part of the American invasion force for the Battle of Okinawa during World War IIOorah Grandad!:flag:

Now? why cant I with a dual citizenship (swedish, american,) join them in the struggle for peace??Don't know, whats your story? speak up.
Why is it that i must seek help withitin you few, you proud, to join the same destiny as my grandad?Errr where else you think your gonna find help from, the Army?

--->Dave

groneberg
03-31-08, 08:12 PM
Thank you GySgt E B Reagle, for the info. I called up the Embassy today, and tried to get more info about how to proceed with changing my citizenship to pro Us.

Sadly the consulate told me that I have been naturalized Swedish citiizen since living with my swedish mother (and never actually lived in US). So now the only way, as he told, would be via the green card, or If Im able to contact some of my relatives on my dadīs side to get my citizenship back.
-that I allready know is a dead beat. (med em all on grandads funeral)
Dang it.

Seems like im heading back to my engineering masters degree instead.
And NOT standing in those yellow footprints I heard of...

Anyhow, thanks.
Carl

ssgtt32
03-31-08, 08:31 PM
Do not be too quick on the giving up! Is your dad a American citizen? If so why can you not stay with him? We need more info from you, too help!

Maurice

groneberg
04-02-08, 04:15 AM
My father died in a car-accident when I was young. His side of the family blaimed my mother to be the reason why he drove off. So that has been the reason why my mother and fathers families dont really co-op.

-And the results have been that I never really learnt anything about my american heritage. Except for my grandad, who always was there for me. He said he never left anyone behind, aint that a Marine saying or something?

Anyhow, now When heīs dead, I got vision of serving under the same flag and core as he did, He dindīt spent his life for making money, but for something higher. I too want to make that difference. And I belive thatīs where you guys come in.

/C