PDA

View Full Version : April 1st trucker strike

jrhd97
03-28-08, 08:54 PM
I have been hearing drivers rant about this and that since before I started driving. Every year there is a disorganized call for a nation wide truckers strike. It never has taken hold. <br />
Now I am...

SlingerDun
03-28-08, 09:01 PM
Do it see what happens. i'm going grocery shopping tomorrow.:cool:

sparkie
03-28-08, 09:07 PM
A strike won't do much since our reserves are so low, The Gov hands are tied now. Should have drilled at Anwar. Long Beach, Galveston. Louisana.

jrhd97
03-29-08, 03:01 PM
I don't see how it will benifit the drivers at all. I do see it being counter productive if, a slim chance it happens.

hrscowboy
03-29-08, 05:08 PM
Here we go again I dont know how many times they have tried this and in 2 weeks there back on the road again. I am not pullin my trucks for no stinkin strike i am the owner operator of my trucks...

Old Marine
03-29-08, 05:53 PM
If the Truckers do go on strike, our highways will be much safer without them speeding down the Interstate at 75/80 miles per hour.

Don't see anything wrong with putting the boxes on the U.S. Rail System.

hrscowboy
03-29-08, 06:24 PM
Old Marine i wish they had a law that trucks could only move during the night time hours. less accidents less people on the road..

jrhd97
03-29-08, 09:15 PM
I don't blame you. Why pull your trucks for individuals that aren't smart enough to find brokers that pass on the fuel surcharge that offsets the cost of fuel. <br />
<br />
<br />
&quot; If the Truckers do go on strike,...

iamcloudlander
03-29-08, 11:50 PM
all of you had good ideas but none of them will work.
not all cities have access to railroads so trucks will still have to pull the trailers to their destinations. Don't know about the traffic most places but in Ca our highways are always busy day or night. I don't know about other states but the truckers are passing the fuel costs down to the consumers in Ca as prices are going up and up. Besides
the drivers have to support families also so a strike would be bad for them just as taking them off the road with a strike. just my two cents worth.

jrhd97
03-30-08, 07:26 AM
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=60155

Old Marine
03-30-08, 07:46 AM
Most all of the accidents that occur in the area of Nevada that I live in involve an 18 wheeled truck. I live off of Interstate 80 and when it snows or there is ice on the highway, it means nothing to most of these truck drivers. They fly down the highway with a wreckless attitude that is unheard of. When my father and my wife's father were truck drivers back in the 50's, a truck driver was the safest driver on the road. That no longer applies. If you are driving you vehicle down the highway these days, the majority of these truck drivers will either push you down the road or cut you off. Don't know if the (bennies) get to them or if they just don't give a ****.

GunnyTex
03-30-08, 10:07 AM
A strick will not work. Thosr complaining about fuel are the same ones who pass me doing 70mph. Retired in 88 and have been an owner/operator since. My 99 FLD isvery long legged (top end of 121). I use to run hadr and fast but since the rapid fuel increases i have slowed down to never over 60 ( unless I'm in Georgia overdrive). My mpg has increases from 5.3 upto 7.1. Put it to paper and that is a savings of over $8000 per year. The fools who run fast now will continue no matter what fuel cost. It isn't the cost of trucking but how you waste your money. As for the claim of lost time, I have never missed an appointment and the slower pace has only increases my driving from WI to Miami by 2 hours. The fools waste more time than that
sitting in Truck Stops.

jrhd97
03-30-08, 01:21 PM
A strick will not work. Thosr complaining about fuel are the same ones who pass me doing 70mph. Retired in 88 and have been an owner/operator since. My 99 FLD isvery long legged (top end of 121). I use to run hadr and fast but since the rapid fuel increases i have slowed down to never over 60 ( unless I'm in Georgia overdrive). My mpg has increases from 5.3 upto 7.1. Put it to paper and that is a savings of over $8000 per year. The fools who run fast now will continue no matter what fuel cost. It isn't the cost of trucking but how you waste your money. As for the claim of lost time, I have never missed an appointment and the slower pace has only increases my driving from WI to Miami by 2 hours. The fools waste more time than that
sitting in Truck Stops.

Aamen. These clowns blowing all that money at the cherry master machine, then eating a steak and desert every night complaining about money and high fuel. Driving 75 - 80 mph trying to keep up with the four wheelers. We are governed at 64. I frequently run I-40, 95,64,85,20,81. I have only seen a couple trucks that have slowed down.

jrhd97
03-30-08, 01:37 PM
Most all of the accidents that occur in the area of Nevada that I live in involve an 18 wheeled truck. I live off of Interstate 80 and when it snows or there is ice on the highway, it means nothing to most of these truck drivers. They fly down the highway with a wreckless attitude that is unheard of. When my father and my wife's father were truck drivers back in the 50's, a truck driver was the safest driver on the road. That no longer applies. If you are driving you vehicle down the highway these days, the majority of these truck drivers will either push you down the road or cut you off. Don't know if the (bennies) get to them or if they just don't give a ****.

You can quote about all the wrecks you see out there. You can't argue with the stats. put out by the AAA and others.
Those that don't slow down for snow and ice deserve to end up in the ditch. I can't tell you how many cars I've seen end up in the same predicament because they won't slow down for incliment weather. How many trucks do you see end up in the ditch, median, guard rail, bridge trying to avoid a stupid, reckless car driver? Many and saddly the media does'nt tell the story, just that another 18 wheeler has wrecked. Police reports and witness testimony tells of a driver trying to avoid running over a family.
True there are those 10% that stand out in everyones mind by there driving habits. These guys need to be off the road. The ones pushing you down the highway should back off a bit.
When you see a vehicle coming down the hammer lane, move over so they can pass. These clowns that camp out in the hammer lane are irritating. There are signs that say " slow traffic stay right".
Why don't the othere motorist quit tail gaiting the trucks and others, quit cutting others off.
Truck drivers are still, as a whole, the safest drivers out there. Look at the accident statistics based on miles driven. Many drivers have a million plus safe miles. Myself I have 970,000, I'll turn a million this year.
Very few drivers do drugs now adays. That has gone by the way due to random testing by companies and law enforcement.

Merc6432
03-30-08, 04:55 PM
What the heck, let's just outlaw private driving all together with an exception of military vehicles, public transportation and emergency vehicles we could really turn America around by making people hump that **** everywhere or utilize public transportation. It solves all of our problems here in America. Kills the obesity plague, increases job opportunities with the need of more public drivers, and promotes a healthy environment, lowers gas costs, promotes greenspace since we can narrow the size of highways and interstates to 2 lanes only, increases job opportunities,increases better spending avenues for the public, decreases personal credit debt, etc.

Idena
03-31-08, 08:54 AM
What the heck, let's just outlaw private driving all together with an exception of military vehicles, public transportation and emergency vehicles we could really turn America around by making people hump that **** everywhere or utilize public transportation. It solves all of our problems here in America. Kills the obesity plague, increases job opportunities with the need of more public drivers, and promotes a healthy environment, lowers gas costs, promotes greenspace since we can narrow the size of highways and interstates to 2 lanes only, increases job opportunities,increases better spending avenues for the public, decreases personal credit debt, etc.

That might work for people who aren't traveling long distances or who are traveling alone, but I can see how that would create problems for people with families. We, for instance, travel 15 hours to visit my parents,& we take our dog along. I can't imagine trying to make that trek by myself with a toddler, a dog, & pregnant on a train or a bus. Lunacy.

hrscowboy
03-31-08, 11:50 AM
Its called stay home you dont need to be out on the highway and call your parents its cheaper all the way around..

dcstanley
04-01-08, 07:46 AM
This strike is for a lot more then truckers . <br />
Higher gas prices affect us all in MANY ways <br />
in multiple occupations. Including supporting our troops. <br />
If I were in charge <br />
of this shutdown, I'd...

Old Marine
04-01-08, 08:31 AM
A newspaper article on MSN today tells about the pileup of 65/70 vehicles yesterday during a snow storm by Vail, Colorado. Seems a couple of trucks lost control because of too much speed and jacknifed, causing a massive pileup of vehicles. One dead and numerous injuries. Took all day to clean up the mess. If I knew how to post the story on this website, I would do it, but my computer skills leave a lot to be desired.

jrhd97
04-01-08, 11:42 AM
A newspaper article on MSN today tells about the pileup of 65/70 vehicles yesterday during a snow storm by Vail, Colorado. Seems a couple of trucks lost control because of too much speed and jacknifed, causing a massive pileup of vehicles. One dead and numerous injuries. Took all day to clean up the mess. If I knew how to post the story on this website, I would do it, but my computer skills leave a lot to be desired.

When reading the story,look in the box on top center of screen where the whole adress is. Click by the last letter or number and the field will highlight. Ricght click and a little box will pop up. Click on Copy. Go to where ever you would like to post it and right click, that box will come up agian. Click on paste.
As far as two trucks causing a 60 some car pile up. That is absurd. If all the other motorist were maintaning a safe following distance and safe speed for conditions, then those two cowboys would have only collected each other and maybe one or two others. The others are as much to blame for wrecking there vehicle.

FistFu68
04-01-08, 12:09 PM
:evilgrin: SHUT THIS COUNTRY DOWN.TOO MANY PEOPLE TAKE WHAT YOU TRUCKERS ARE DOING FOR GRANTED!!!IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT A PETERBUILT PASSING YOU'RE AZZ-UP DOING 75, GET THE F**K OUTTA THE FAST~ LANE:evilgrin: :iwo:

Camper51
04-01-08, 12:13 PM
When reading the story,look in the box on top center of screen where the whole adress is. Click by the last letter or number and the field will highlight. Ricght click and a little box will pop up. Click on Copy. Go to where ever you would like to post it and right click, that box will come up agian. Click on paste.
As far as two trucks causing a 60 some car pile up. That is absurd. If all the other motorist were maintaning a safe following distance and safe speed for conditions, then those two cowboys would have only collected each other and maybe one or two others. The others are as much to blame for wrecking there vehicle.

I agree that most if not all of the people involved were driving too fast for conditions. I have driven Vail pass many times in the winter and it is always a challenge.

Colorado does have some very severe penalties for truckers not chaining up when required on these passes and fines can range up to $500 for a first offense of simply NOT chaining up. Causing an accident because of not chaining up increases the fines by quite a bit more. Even these penalties did not prevent this accident...

jrhd97
04-01-08, 12:14 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23895347/

It seems that the real cause of the wreck is still up in the air. Nobody has determined what caused the two trucks to jacknife. Was one of them driving to fast? Were both of them driving to fast? Did one swerve to miss a vehicle? Did a gust of wind rock one too hard? We won't know for a day or two. This just shows the general public and media's attitude. Jump on the first thing that looks like it may have been the cause. In this case a truck. Before declaring the driver was going to fast for conditions, why not wait until the investigation is done.
This kind of respone is akin to blaming a dead Iraqi on the Marines, because they were the first people seen by the unarmed body.
I will say this, if it is found that this driver was going to fast, he needs to be given his walking papers. We are to big to be that careless.

Widowmaker
04-03-08, 08:32 PM
To whom this mite concern, I am new here and will probly get kicked off after this " BUT " What give's you the right Old Marine to talk about how truckers drive and how fast, Do you drive one are you on a dead line to get somewhere that when you do get there they rase hell because you sould have got there faster, if it weren't so many four-wheelers out there we probly wouldn't have to as much, and one more thing do you pay road tax I do it's 650.00 $ every six months per truck , how about you? And every time you pull up to the pump are you paying 4.00 - 4.10 a gallon do you pay a fuel bill every week that is over 3000.00 dollars ? Well ? :mad:

GunnyTex
04-03-08, 10:14 PM
As I posted I have been an owner/operator with my own authority, I must add, since 88. A few years ago I sold my other ten trucks and kept this one. It has 1375967 miles on it. Yes I worry about appointments and deadlines. Really hate spending all day to get a `load and all night getting loaded but I still make my appointments on time. Comes with being able to manage my time and being grownup and accepting responsibility and not blaming everyone else. Try it. By the way Heavy Tax is $550 per year per vehicle not $650 every 6 months. If you are leased to someone charging you that you are being ripprd off. Better do some research. IFTA is paid quarterly based upon miles driven in a state divided by average MPG times state tax rate. Base plate in WI for 80000# is $2050 per year, trailers are a ten year tag. Guess this would be enough to most to show I am well experinced in the trucking industry and know what I am talking about but you can never convince a fool. Besides it does no good to get in the mud with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
Semper FI (If you were a Marine)

Old Marine
04-04-08, 11:29 AM
To whom this mite concern, I am new here and will probly get kicked off after this " BUT " What give's you the right Old Marine to talk about how truckers drive and how fast, Do you drive one are you on a dead line to get somewhere that when you do get there they rase hell because you sould have got there faster, if it weren't so many four-wheelers out there we probly wouldn't have to as much, and one more thing do you pay road tax I do it's 650.00 $ every six months per truck , how about you? And every time you pull up to the pump are you paying 4.00 - 4.10 a gallon do you pay a fuel bill every week that is over 3000.00 dollars ? Well ? :mad:

First of all, since you did not fill out you profile, I do not feel that I have to reply to what you have posted, but I will.

Since I dedicated 20 years of my life to serving my Marine Corps, I have earned the right to say what I want about anything I want. When I retired from the Corps, you son were only two years old and still ****ting in your pampers.

In my post I did not say anything about Widowmaker, but if the shoe fits it fits.

If your skivies are getting all bunched up over paying fuel taxes, then you should either park the trucks, or find another line of work.

Semper Fi, my friend.

Widowmaker
04-04-08, 04:41 PM
First of all, since you did not fill out you profile, I do not feel that I have to reply to what you have posted, but I will.

Since I dedicated 20 years of my life to serving my Marine Corps, I have earned the right to say what I want about anything I want. When I retired from the Corps, you son were only two years old and still ****ting in your pampers.

In my post I did not say anything about Widowmaker, but if the shoe fits it fits.

If your skivies are getting all bunched up over paying fuel taxes, then you should either park the trucks, or find another line of work.

Semper Fi, my friend. :cry: Let me help you out a little, " Profile " 32 years old , married for 12 years , 2 baby girl's , come from a long line of Marines it's in my blood , broke my neck in high school in a foot ball game could not do what I had in mind to do like my Father, Or my grand father, or my great grand father, Second part talk all you want you have that right, but when you attack someone else's live line be prepard to get bitt !! And the Reason that I am getting my Pamper's in a bunch is because everything around us here in the USA is going up & up , But the payday is still the same for alot of people that means going out of buisness , I have to much invested to just throw it all down and give up , just like alot more people !

DWG
04-04-08, 06:13 PM
Still no profile posted. Might want to read the regs.

jrhd97
04-04-08, 09:18 PM
Maybe he doesn't understand ???? O.K ,I know, nobody can be that slow.

Old Marine
04-05-08, 08:01 AM
:cry: Let me help you out a little, " Profile " 32 years old , married for 12 years , 2 baby girl's , come from a long line of Marines it's in my blood , broke my neck in high school in a foot ball game could not do what I had in mind to do like my Father, Or my grand father, or my great grand father, Second part talk all you want you have that right, but when you attack someone else's live line be prepard to get bitt !! And the Reason that I am getting my Pamper's in a bunch is because everything around us here in the USA is going up & up , But the payday is still the same for alot of people that means going out of buisness , I have to much invested to just throw it all down and give up , just like alot more people !

So, you are not a Marine, never have been a Marine, or never even attempted to be a Marine.

Then you must be on the wrong Web Site.

End of story.

Manymoonsago
04-05-08, 01:10 PM
sitting in Truck Stops.

Gunny, I wish more people would listen to you and Old Marine. I've done the same thing with my driving and slowed to 55 on long trips after reading a couple studies on fuel efficiency and looking at a couple charts. The government picked that speed for a reason back during the gas crunches in the 70's and there are a lot of studies about the economics of driving slower vs. moving more goods in a shorter period of time by driving faster (it doesn't work).

Every morning coming to work, though, I see dozens of drivers in rush hour traffic trying to drive at 80 mph, dodging lane to lane, stepping on the gas then the brake, then the gas, then the brake, etc. It is insanity especially with the SUVs and trucks.

FistFu68
04-05-08, 01:38 PM
:evilgrin: THE SPEED LIMIT IN A'LOT OF STATES IS 75,YOU DON'T WANNA END UP LIKE COLORADO PILE UP;QUIT TAILGATING.AND GET YOU'RE 49- MPH.DRIVING AZZ OUTTA THE FAST LANE:confused: :iwo:

SlingerDun
04-05-08, 04:25 PM
Widowmaker tells you: What give's you the right Old Marine to talk about how truckers drive and how fast.

Old Marine tells you: Since I dedicated 20 years of my life to serving my Marine Corps, I have earned the right to say what I want about anything I want.

SlingerDun tells you: If you attempt to intimidate me with size or push me around or i see a display of careless driving or my horse sense just tells me your dangerous behind the big wheel...I'll call that highway patrol # or the 1-800-hows my driving-# and i'll do some ****ing talking.

--->Dave

mike christy
04-06-08, 02:56 AM
I have been in transportation for over 25 years now, am currently the safety director for a small fleet. The problem/blame for unsafe driving rests with both the civilian and the professional driver, both need to learn speed and space management and anger control.

Car drivers; remember that there are allot of blind spots for a truck driver, if you can not see his smiling face in his mirrors then he can not see you, a truck can not stop on a dime, if you pull out in front of one then go 50 feet and stop to make a left turn, you stand a good chance of getting hit. When passing, wait until you are far enough in front of the truck to see the driver in your rear-view mirror, again if you can not see him, he can not see you. Turn off your stupid cell phones and stop trying to read the paper or put on your make-up while driving, pay attention to the road and what is going on around you.

Professional drivers; you are just that, PROFESSIONAL, act like it, you know that the four wheelers are going to do stupid sh*t, be ready for it. We know that your job is hard, and that the DOT sucks, and that fuel/insurance/taxes and all of the other expenses are killing us right now, that the shipper and consignee use/abuse us as they see fit. Welcome to trucking. As a industry we need to work together, make the shipper/consignee pay detention time, schedule pick-up and delivery times with a understanding of the hours of service and the distance's involved. Work with the legislature to to get practical laws in place that will benefit everyone, not just the special interest groups.

Road Rage; just plain stupid and unproductive for everyone.

SF

yellowwing
04-06-08, 04:50 AM
Here right now we are conducting business at $4.61 a gallon. If you are a tourist, sorry about that. If you are a business man step up or go home.