PDA

View Full Version : Dad of a recruit in Parris Island

ret1sgt
03-28-08, 02:09 PM
Maybe someone can help me and answer a question....If my son was injured and has a back injury and was unable to complete Basic tng naturally they will seperate him from the corp....My questions are the following:

1. Do they have to fix him if he's broke?

2. If he is deemed fixable and requires surgery is he covered in the future by the VA

3. Might he be entittled to any benefits due to his injury

4. Thank you for your input on the above and just to let all know who are reading this....My son will be re-enlisting in 8 months or so to do it all again...this time he will become a Marine....Semper Fi

Merc6432
03-28-08, 04:31 PM
Maybe someone can help me and answer a question....If my son was injured and has a back injury and was unable to complete Basic tng naturally they will seperate him from the corp....My questions are the following:

1. Do they have to fix him if he's broke?

2. If he is deemed fixable and requires surgery is he covered in the future by the VA

3. Might he be entittled to any benefits due to his injury

4. Thank you for your input on the above and just to let all know who are reading this....My son will be re-enlisting in 8 months or so to do it all again...this time he will become a Marine....Semper Fi

What is your son's current status? Is he in boot right now or is he out?

Native Warrior
03-31-08, 09:27 AM
from my understanding of the regs, if it happens while in Boot Camp and is not a pre-existing condition then he would be covered, because when you're in boot camp you're considered on active duty for training. He would receive medical service according to the medical code assigned and as a private.

If he's fixable, I would think they would fix and keep him, however every case is different and it's hard to guess at what the medical boards will do.