PDA

View Full Version : Noted author honors women's history

thedrifter
03-28-08, 09:04 AM
Noted author honors women's history
Lance Cpl. Michael S. Darnell

MCRD PARRIS ISLAND/ERR, S.C.(March 27, 2008) -- Parris Island held a celebration of Women's History Month on March 20.

The event was held at Traditions and was attended by more than 30 men and women from around the Depot.

The theme of this year's celebration was "Women's Art: Women's Vision."

Kathryn Roth-Douquet, a noted political writer, was the guest speaker for the event.

Douquet is also a lawyer and political activist who has worked with presidential campaigns for 20 years. She has attended G-8 summits, worked at the Pentagon and has both a law degree and a master's degree in public and international affairs. She is also a Marine Corps wife.

"I love the Marine Corps and Marine families," she said. "It's important to be with the ones you love."

Douquet spoke about various issues facing women today, Marine and civilian alike.
The cornerstone of her speech was on the continuing strides to provide equality for all people, while still celebrating their differences.

"I'm a lawyer," she quipped. "Not a lawyer-ettte."

The same goes for women in the military, Douquet said.

"A Marine is a Marine," she added.

Douquet, a recipient of the Secretary of Defense Medal for Outstanding Public Service, asked the crowd about their reasons for celebrating women's history, considering the equality Marines strive for.

"We have to meet those standards, and seek to exceed them," she said.

Part of improving equality begins in recruit training, Douquet said.

"Having separate training for men and women is essential. It's important to have a female role model at that stage," she added.

Having a strong role model for young women can help them redefine what roles they are capable of fulfilling, she said.

Before the guest of honor spoke, Staff Sgt. Deneen Singleton, 24, read a poem commemorating the event. It was a poem dedicated to the inherent royalty found in the strength of women.

"Strong in presence," said Singleton, who is from Philadelphia, about the theme of her poem. "The inspiration for this poem is that as women, we should hold ourselves to higher standards.

"I'm really glad we have this celebration," she added. "Maybe women will take pride in it and themselves and raise their personal standards."

Sgt. Maj. Laura Brown, the sergeant major of 4th Recruit Training Battalion, closed out the ceremony with a direct address to the women Marines in the audience.

"It's up to the older women to teach the younger women," she said. "I came here to teach those women behind me."

To those younger women in the audience, Brown had a simple message that reverberates to the core of women Marines everywhere.

"Keep charging."

Ellie