PDA

View Full Version : Recruits give blood to future brothers-in-arms

thedrifter
03-28-08, 08:10 AM
Recruits give blood to future brothers-in-arms

By Lance Cpl. Deanne Travis, MCRD Parris Island

MCRD PARRIS ISLAND/ERR, S.C. (March 27, 2008) -- The ninth week of training marks the beginning of the third and final phase of recruit training. However, before recruits begin this last phase, they have the opportunity to save the life of a servicemember before ever claiming the title Marine.

The Sunday before week nine of training, recruits are given the opportunity to donate blood to the Kendrick Memorial Blood Center at Fort Gordon, Ga. The blood collected is then given to the Armed Services Blood Program, which provides servicemembers and their families with needed blood.

The ASBP organization began more than 50 years ago, and Kendrick Memorial Blood Center began collecting from Recruit Training Regiment five years ago.

"We started collecting regularly from RTR in 2003," said Erin Hawkins, an ASBP blood-donor recruiter at Fort Gordon. "Almost every Sunday, we are at Parris Island collecting blood. We get almost 100 pints each time we come to the Depot."

Collecting this much blood not only helps the ASBP, but excites the recruits about their choice to donate.

"It makes me feel helpful to know I am already contributing," said Rct. Carlos Cruz-Tejeda, of Platoon 2020, Golf Company, 2nd Recruit Training Battalion.

The blood donated by recruits helps support the ASBP's primary mission to supply blood to injured servicemembers in the Middle East.

"There is no way we could supply the amount of blood downrange without the support and willingness of RTR," said Hawkins, from Harlem, Ga.

This knowledge leaves some recruits with the understanding of how their blood aids their future fellow servicemembers.

"I like knowing I am helping my future brothers," said Cruz-Tejeda, an 18 year old from Millersburg, Ohio.

Thanks in part to the recruits aboard Parris Island, the Fort Gordon location is the second highest producing ASBP in the world, according to 31-year-old Hawkins.

"Last year we collected 4,482 pints of blood at the Depot," Hawkins said. "Every week, we send blood out of Fort Gordon, and the majority of it makes its way to Iraq or Afghanistan. So these recruits are saving lives."

Sgt. Shane Sink, a drill instructor for Platoon 2020, Golf Co., 2nd RTBn., agreed it is good for the recruits to donate blood, especially on a non training day.

On Sunday, the recruits attend religious services and practice drill, but there is no other mandatory training taking place. This way donating does not affect the training schedule.

Sink said it is good for the recruits to donate because it gives them a chance to help a fellow servicemember.

It is also good that there is an in-house blood donation program set up for the military, added the 25-year-old Sink, from Tampa, Fla.

Ellie