PDA

View Full Version : President meets with families of the fallen

thedrifter
03-28-08, 07:36 AM
President meets with families of the fallen
Bush meets privately with 23 Ohio military families, including two from Butler County.

By Richard Wilson

Staff Writer

Friday, March 28, 2008

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — President Bush met with 23 Ohio military families, including two from Butler County, during his visit to the Dayton area.

Among the family members Bush met with Thursday, March 27, were Hanover Twp. resident Bethany MacKinnon and her two children, 10-year-old Madison and 8-year-old Noah.

MacKinnon lost her husband, Army Capt. Michael J. MacKinnon, of Helena, Mont., who was killed Oct. 27, 2005, when an improvised explosive device detonated while he was on a convoy operation in Bagdad.

MacKinnon said she appreciated that the meetings were held in private, and said Bush was sincere and spent quality time with each of the families of 16 fallen soldiers, five fallen Marines and two fallen airmen during his visit. MacKinnon, who went to Ross schools as a child, said she harbors no ill feelings toward Bush and that she supports the war effort.

"I support the soldiers. My husband believed in what we're doing over there. I'm still for the war. I believe we need to finish what we started over there," she said.

MacKinnon said she doesn't want to be called a widow and agreed to meet with the president for her children's sake.

In the time following her husband's death, MacKinnon said the government has taken good care of her family.

Sally Davenport of Hamilton also received an invitation to meet with the president. She is the mother of Army Capt. Edward Jason Korn of Savannah, Ga., who was killed by friendly fire on April 3, 2003, in Baghdad.

Davenport said Bush shook hands and hugged everyone during the one-hour meeting. She said he even picked up her camera when she dropped it on the floor.

"He didn't make you feel like he was way up on a pedestal. He showed a genuine concern for all the family members that were there," said Davenport, who works for the IRS in Cincinnati. She said her son could have remained in a noncombat military position but believed in the country's war efforts.

"He didn't die in vain," she said.

Ellie