PDA

View Full Version : Marathon

dutch1291
03-28-08, 12:20 AM
So I'm headed off for my first marathon in about 8 hours. It's in Olathe, Kansas (near Kansas City, I believe). Anyways, It is going to be ridiculously difficult, and I'm really starting to get worried about it. I realize it's nothing close to the pain and agony that I will experience at Recruit Training, but I figure it is a decent prerequisite.

I'm really not sure why I am posting this here, I just needed to tell someone and whether anyone reads it or not isn't a big deal. If you do happen to be reading this, please wish me luck! Hopefully I will be back Saturday night (assuming I don't die on Saturday). Thanks for listening!

Matt

outlaw3179
03-28-08, 07:12 AM
It might be too late but good luck Dutch.

jinelson
03-28-08, 07:25 AM
Good luck Matt I know you will give it your best shot. Let us know how it went when you return.

Jim

KJH7522
03-28-08, 10:21 AM
Oy I live about 20 minutes away from Olathe! Should have said something earlier I'd go with. Good luck, enjoy the run.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-28-08, 10:27 AM
Good Luck Matt! Remember to let your mind drift!

Crusader20
03-28-08, 11:15 AM
Matt,
Go for it. You will feel like crap, but about mile 22 you will see the fans and they will cheer you on to he remainder of the course. You will do fine. like motivator said, let your mind drift.

BR34
03-28-08, 09:23 PM
So I'm headed off for my first marathon in about 8 hours. It's in Olathe, Kansas (near Kansas City, I believe). Anyways, It is going to be ridiculously difficult, and I'm really starting to get worried about it. I realize it's nothing close to the pain and agony that I will experience at Recruit Training, but I figure it is a decent prerequisite.

I'm really not sure why I am posting this here, I just needed to tell someone and whether anyone reads it or not isn't a big deal. If you do happen to be reading this, please wish me luck! Hopefully I will be back Saturday night (assuming I don't die on Saturday). Thanks for listening!

Matt
I'm stationed in KC, and we were informed of this little run you speak of. From what we were told though it was only a 5K. I don't even consider that a marathon, hell, we run a good bit more than that for PT. 5K is barely more than a PFT.

dutch1291
03-30-08, 12:11 AM
Oh, don't worry It was definitely a 26.2-Mile Marathon (there was also a 5k and a half-marathon). Apparently I made it back alive though, I guess that's a good sign.

My time was less than satisfactory, or at least I think so. *4:58:02* Whether that is due to a lack of training or just lack of ability I don't know, but this thing was far from fun. (I actually started walking at Mile 16, I'm very disappointed in myself ((I started running again later))) By far the most mentally and physically taxing thing I have ever done, but I would reccommend it to anyone who hasn't tried one yet.

I want to thank you guys for the support though, it really means a lot to me. I guess the whole 'desire to be a Marine' idea helped me through it more than anything. I figured if I was going to quit then, what will the Marine Corps think of me? Anyways, I'm rambling on and on because I am so stinking excited that I got that over with! Thanks again, everyone!

Matt

LeonardLawrence
03-30-08, 04:06 AM
Time to start training for #2 :devious:

BR34
03-30-08, 09:34 AM
Good job completing the tast Dutch!

sparkie
03-30-08, 09:46 AM
Anyone can get things started,,,,, Good to see you get things finished. Just what your recruter is lookin for.

KJH7522
03-30-08, 10:38 AM
Great job completing! Keep working hard!

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-30-08, 01:08 PM
Mission Accomplishment above all else. Good job!

Phantom Blooper
03-30-08, 04:11 PM
Good job! At least you completed it and did not QUIT!:evilgrin:

SGT7477
03-30-08, 08:27 PM
Good job,Matt.