PDA

View Full Version : Honor, Courage, and Commitment

Nez46
03-27-08, 11:58 AM
This new topic is about the Marines three core values.
Honor, Courage, and Commitment these are very important in the Marines. So many Marines have told me. They live by these and die by these values. However many Poolees may know these values we only see them as knowledge. We as Poolees should live be these values because we represent the future of the United States Marines. See us being out on the street getting arrested or acting fools is nothing but a bad reflection on the Marines and a bad reflection on your family. I just wanted to say we should live by these values not because we are Marines. But because of what we represent and what we are the future of.
Sincerly,
Poolee Rivers.

PatriotGirl422
03-27-08, 12:06 PM
I think you have a few too many periods in that paragraph, but I understand what you're saying. This is very true, poolee. You all have to realize that the values of honor, courage, and committment shouldn't just be values that you adopt once you earn the Title. They should be values that you live by today also. As poolees aspiring to be Marines, you have to prove that you believe in our values and understand their importance. Of course, they will become more important once you earn the Title and know what they really mean.

Ammodriver2000
03-27-08, 02:14 PM
Having been an elementary school teacher; I won't bite you too hard for your punctuation. I see the spirit with which you posted. What I will do, is attempt to put a "big picture spin" on your topic. Hopefully; others will read and take something useful from this; to boot camp, and beyond. Truly; Honor, Courage, and Commitment are things that all Marines hold dear, and attempt to maintain a high degree of in their everyday lives; whether actively serving, reservist, retired, or in a retirement home. For surely you know; Once A Marine; Always a Marine! Allow me to tell you something, though. The Marine Corps cannot GIVE these things to you. These are things that you have to be willing to allow to grow within yourself. If you have never exhibitted anything close to being honorable; then how can the Corps wave a wand and there...you now have honor? If you have always "played the safe card", and not stood up for what you know is obviously right; even in the face of ridicule; then how is it the Corps can give you courage? If you have never had any inkling to commit to even the tiniest thing; then the Corps can't do that for you automatically. I do not mean to say that the Marine Corps has not made a positive impact on the lives of thousands, who probably would be lots worse off had they not signed their lives away for that first contract. I am saying that the base elements of the Core Values have to be there, at the beginning.
I propose a simple self-examination. Ask yourself three questions: 1) If my recruiter were to go to my high school, or my place of employment; could he/she find one person who would reference me as an honest person, even if it meant I was in the wrong?
2) Could my recruiter go to the same places and find a teacher or supervisor who could atest to my commitment to doing the very best I could, even when it seems no one noticed my efforts?
3) Could my recruiter find someone at those same venues who would say that I was courageous enough to stand firm in doing the right thing, even if that meant loss of popularity?
If you can answer all three questions with a resounding "Affirmative"; then you are ready to accept the challenge. If you have doubts as to the answers; then I suggest you start developing some symbolance of these Core Values we as Marines hold dear, before standing in the "yellow footprints".

sparkie
03-27-08, 05:55 PM
Did you ever love your Mommie? Did you ever hate a bully? Did you ever do right for your heart's sake when no one was watching? Did you ever feel there is something out there bigger than yourself?
When you are ready to sign your own autograph, and be proud to keep it,,,,, then Sign UP,,,, The Marines are looking for Men [and Ladies], like That. The Few.
{sorry, I don't teach school]. Forgive my emotions.

Nez46
03-28-08, 03:20 PM
Thanks Marines. Spelling was never a big thing for me in school nor was grammer. But thanks for the comments.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-28-08, 03:35 PM
Honor, Courage & Commitment, they aren't words. They are not charachter traits. They are a way of life, the Marine Corps way of life. Ask yourself how do you live out your daily routine? It's a lifestyle choice, make the right one!

thewookie
03-28-08, 09:05 PM
This new topic is about the Marines three core values.
Honor, Courage, and Commitment these are very important in the Marines. So many Marines have told me. They live by these and die by these values. However many Poolees may know these values we only see them as knowledge. We as Poolees should live be these values because we represent the future of the United States Marines. See us being out on the street getting arrested or acting fools is nothing but a bad reflection on the Marines and a bad reflection on your family. I just wanted to say we should live by these values not because we are Marines. But because of what we represent and what we are the future of.
Sincerly,
Poolee Rivers.

Who is we? You ain't we.

Nez46
03-29-08, 01:49 PM
Sergeant i meant like we Poolees.