PDA

View Full Version : Marines to get poker treat

thedrifter
03-27-08, 10:00 AM
Marines to get poker treat

Alex Whitlatch
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 27, 2008 12:00 AM

Some troops in Iraq soon will be able to add a little style to their poker games, thanks to a Tempe business owner who found a cool way to support the troops.

Randy Ying, owner of Rye Park LLC, a Tempe gaming-supply company, donated three custom-built poker tables. The tables were constructed, packaged and soon will be shipped to Iraq.

"I think it's cool that they risk their lives for us each day. This is just something I can do to make their time a little more enjoyable," Ying said.

Ying added a special touch to each table. His company printed the image of the Marine Corps group's VMM-162 logo on the felt surface.

The tournament-quality poker tables are hand-built in Tempe. They have been shipped to North Carolina and then continue on to Iraq, Ying said.

Capt. Zachary Webb, the family readiness officer of the VMM-162 (Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron) contacted Ying about making the donation.

Webb had seen Ying's Web site, RyeParkPoker.com, and then inquired about obtaining poker tables for the troops.

This is not the first donation of this sort that Ying has made. He recently donated a poker table to a group of helicopter pilots in Odessa, Texas, for a fundraiser.

"It's just a good way for me to do my part and support the troops," he said.

Ellie