PDA

View Full Version : Area Marine gets Silver Star

thedrifter
03-27-08, 08:13 AM
Area Marine gets Silver Star
Cpl. Ian Dollard returns from duty in Iraq to receive honor
By Meera Pal, STAFF WRITER
Article Created: 03/27/2008 02:37:12 AM PDT

Though he's only 21, Cpl. Ian Dollard has probably seen more life than most men twice his age — and probably more than anyone ever should.

Last year, while most of his childhood friends from Pleasanton were focusing on college and the next phases of their lives, Dollard was trading enemy fire in Iraq and focusing on just staying alive.

During many a Saturday night patrol in Iraq, Dollard said, he would think about what his buddies might be doing back in California.

But even though Dollard doesn't yet have a college diploma, he can now proudly show his Silver Star — the nation's third-highest award for combat heroism — as his credentials for the four years he has served in the Marine Corps.

Dollard, who was raised in Pleasanton, received the Silver Star last week in a ceremony in Twentynine Palms, San Bernardino County. It was a moment that his mother called overwhelming and surreal.

"You run out of words to describe it," Judy Dollard said. "It's such a feeling of pride and love."

For friends and family who made the trip south for the ceremony, it was an odd experience as they recalled the Ian Dollard they have known for 21 years — and the Ian he has become since Iraq.

"My friends have told me that I've changed since high school," For friends and family who made the trip south for the ceremony, it was an odd experience as they recalled the Ian Dollard they have known for 21 years — and the Ian he has become since Iraq.

"My friends have told me that I've changed since high school," Dollard said. "The Marines kind of got my head together."

Though he is proud of his Silver Star, he said he could have done without the pomp and circumstance of the ceremony.

His mother isn't surprised.

"He's a very honorable guy with a heck of a lot of character — and modest to boot," Judy Dollard said.

She recalled how her son would call home after every major incident, downplaying his own injuries and involvement.

On one occasion, however, there was no downplaying his injuries and involvement, because they would lead to his Silver Star.

On June 24, Dollard and his unit were on combat patrol in Saqlawiyah, Iraq.

One of the team leaders had gotten out to check a dump truck for explosives when he was shot by a sniper.

Dollard and his lieutenant ran toward the injured Marine, and were standing near the dump truck when the lieutenant was shot in the lower spine by a sniper.

Dollard quickly moved toward the injured lieutenant and was struck with two bullets that pierced his body armor but not his body.

Though pumped up on adrenaline, Dollard didn't immediately react.

But, while providing first aid, he was hit again. This time in the leg.

"You see one of your buddies on the ground, you're not going to leave him out there," Dollard said of his instinct to help.

After aid arrived, Dollard was hit again in the leg by a ricocheting bullet.

From the back of a Humvee, Dollard administered first aid to himself, while giving as many commands as he could.

"We weren't surprised," Judy Dollard said of her son's heroism. "He's always been that type of guy. ... He's always been the one who encourages others. He's always been a leader."

One shot struck Dollard four inches above the right knee. Until recently, he had two pieces of shrapnel embedded in his leg.

He said it took several weeks for him to regain full use of his right leg.

Until his Marine contract expires this summer, Dollard is working as a lifeguard at Twentynine Palms.

Once he returns to the Bay Area, Dollard hopes to build on his Marine Corps training and become a firefighter.

He hopes to attend Butte College in Oroville and get his degree in fire science, he said.

In spite of all that he has experienced as a Marine during two tours in Iraq, Dollard said he wouldn't change a thing.

"I've gone through some pretty rough experiences," he said. "But I would have made the same decisions."

Meera Pal covers Pleasanton. Reach her at 925-847-2120 or mpal@bayareanewsgroup.com.

Ellie