PDA

View Full Version : Women making military a career

thedrifter
03-27-08, 07:36 AM
Women making military a career

March 27, 2008

Ever since our Revolutionary War, women have played an important part in military service.

There are many stories of how women disguised themselves as men in order to serve in our early military wars and conflicts.

But there is no need for women to serve secretly in today's armed forces. Ever since the end of World War II the opportunities for women in our military have steadily expanded and improved.

I have occasion to visit the Naval Station at Great Lakes and observe the women that have integrated into all ratings and officer leadership roles. I enjoy stopping those women with several "hash-marks" on their left sleeve to discuss with them how they like making the United States Navy a career. Many of them are married, although equally often I find them to be single and fully dedicated to their military service.

I also have opportunity to occasionally visit the ships of our fleet. Again I observe women in all departments of the ships, actively serving in the fleet. On our aircraft carriers, women have ratings that assign them to the launching of aircraft. The only current restriction to women serving on Navy ships is submarine service.

Women in our military have also advanced in the Army, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. For women, today's military is a career opportunity not to be overlooked. Of course, there is the short-time military service available equally to women for three or four years military service.

Salary and all benefits are equally available to women in the military. Retirement following 20 years of active, honorable service is a major enticement to young women entering the military following high school graduation.

For those women who seek adventure and training in numerous skills, I highly suggest they check out the military branches of service and give consideration to military service.

✯

There were many parades in communities across the nation on St. Patrick's Day. This has been a tradition for the Irish to celebrate their heritage and invite their friends and neighbors to join in the "wearing of the green."

The annual St. Patrick's Day Parade held in New York City is the original and oldest parade in the United States. It has been held annually for 246 years, during peace and wartime.

The New York St. Patrick's Day parade dates to 1762, before the United States became an independent nation. The first marchers were Irish members of the British Army, who marched down Broadway in the first parade. The first parades were organized by military units, but soon Irish societies and supporting groups joined in the annual parades. The National Guard's 69th Infantry Regiment upholds the tradition of leading the New York City St. Patrick's Day parade. Since 1853, the "Irish Brigade" of the New York National Guard has led the parade.

✯

We have often alerted our Illinois military veterans of the four excellent Illinois Veteran Homes, located at LaSalle, Manteno, Anna and Quincy. These are operated by the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs and provide a home for Illinois military veterans, including skilled-care hospitalization.

LaSalle, Manteno and Anna have waiting lists, but often immediate admission is available, due to the fact that many military veterans sign up but are not ready to be admitted when their number comes up. Quincy is the oldest Illinois Veterans Home and normally has available beds for care of our Illinois veterans.

Illinois veterans or their family members can contact the local Illinois Veterans Assistance Offices for specific details on care available at Illinois Veterans Homes.

Robert Mitchler is a retired state senator and was a military and naval aide to Illinois governors. His column appears twice monthly. To submit an item for Veterans Corner, write Mitchler c/o The Beacon News, 101 S. River St., Aurora, IL 60506.

Ellie