PDA

View Full Version : Special Combat Training at Camp Lejeune

thedrifter
03-27-08, 07:24 AM
Special Combat Training at Camp Lejeune

Updated: March 26, 2008 05:41 PM

CAMP LEJEUNE -- Dozens of Camp Lejeune Marines will be deployed soon, but they have one more special training program before they go.

The Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base has transformed into the Baghdad Market Place, where 55 marines are in the final stage of a new program called, Combat Hunter training.

Like a poker game, the purpose of the training was so the marines can read the eyes and minds of their opponents.

The training package uses a combination of the best and most applicable observation, law-enforcement, and professional hunting techniques for Marines.

Observation is learning how to look at things, profiling is what to look for, and tracking is how to follow.

The two week course teaches the marines about the difference between friend and foe, and between an insurgent and an ally. The clues are subtle and can be found in appearances and hand gestures.

David Kitchings, an instructor of the program, is a former Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff.

"I worked the streets of Los Angeles County and learned many things about human nature, mannerisms, and what to look for. A lot of people were lying to you and we bring that experience. We lived it daily," said Kitchings.

Sergeant Dennis Derr has been deployed to Iraq three times. He said the course is the most valuable training he's had.

"I think this is very important. It improved my skills along with many marines as far as observation before we even get into scenarios and how we look at things," said Sgt. Derr.

With the American death toll in Iraq reaching 4,000, the marines believe Combat Hunter training will bring more of these men and women home from Iraq - alive.

Ellie