PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Parris Island D.I.s

Hoplite
03-26-08, 07:09 PM
I wanted to share this experience with the other poolees here. I think it may give some insight for what's to come.

Yesterday we had our Family Day with our RSS. During this event we had the Sgt. Major and Major for the recruitment of Louisiana there to introduce the Marine Corps and answer any questions for the parents. Also during this event we had the honor of having some Drill Instructors from Parris Island visit us as well. (I will say that the calm before the storm is by far more scary then the storm itself)

After all the talking was done it was time to meet the DIs. The Sgt. Major got us into formation and then asked of all people, *me* to open the door and and say "Come on in Drill Instructors." So I go and fast walk to open the door. Now first off, I thought the DIs were going to come in all in straight line looking all pretty and intimidating and then talk to us and do some drilling. Wrong. As soon as I open the door all I saw were 5 massive DIs lined up looking like a SWAT team. I didn't even get to say what I supposed to say when suddenly it was like a grenade went off and an all out firefight ensued.

The first DI in line got right into my face and yelled "GET BACK IN LINE RIGHT NOW!!" and they breached the door yelling and screaming. Now from my Mom's point of view she said I was there one second and gone the next. She thought I had got ran over by the DIs. So as soon as I got back in formation they had us right on our bellies doing push-ups and mountain climbers. During this whole time I had the biggest and meanest of the DIs right in my ear yelling "SCREAM LOUDER!! LOUDER!! LOUDER!!" So I'm screaming "AYE SIR!" as loud as I can which of course isn't loud enough for him.

So after some more intense yelling in my ear, exercises, and some frightened looks on my fellow poolees' faces, it was over and they got us back in formation. I cant really say what it was like during this. Just that it was intense, fast, loud, and a shock to the system. I'm just now recovering from the shock haha.

So here's what I learned during this brief taste of boot camp:
1. You can not yell loud enough
2. Mountain climbers suck
3. Do what you're told, when you're told, and how you're told as fast and as best as possible.

I consider myself very lucky to have this experience before boot camp. I know what to expect once I get off that bus and I'll be alittle more prepared for it. Now I understand this was only a small taste of what a DI can do. They didn't even do any of the mind tricks and name calling. However, it was still an honor to have that experience.

Gumby
03-26-08, 07:17 PM
heha Thats funny how you had to yell come on in drill instructors.:)

jetdoc
03-26-08, 07:19 PM
Seems like you had fun then, :D .

sawatzke82
03-26-08, 08:15 PM
We did something like this when I first DEPed in and we are doing it again next month (which will be my last DEP functon before leaving!), without a doubt one heck of an eye opener of what we are getting ourselves into.

Last time a member of my pool was "smart" enough to tell all of the recruiters that, quote, "The Drill Instructors weren't that bad." Needless to say they caught word of this and here's what happened next, "Hey stupid!" the poolee turns around after getting water (also manages to bite a hole in his lip from the suprise). "Yeah you! come here! Now run around that truck until you friggin die!
You had to see the look on this guys face, it was priceless maybe you just had to have been there and known this guy but it was the funniest thing I have ever witnessed in my life...hopefully it wont be me next time.

crazymjb
03-26-08, 09:47 PM
We have ours coming up in a little over two weeks. I am just now finishing up Stew Smith's pushup program to help prepare.

I think we are only going to have one DI there, and a few other recruiting stations mixing up with ours.

Mike

SlingerDun
03-26-08, 09:50 PM
how long did they thrash you

JAG1990tn
03-27-08, 09:26 AM
We had ours on March 4th. I liked it, I thought it was one of the most exciting things so far. Tell you what, I was dreading that so bad, but once it was over, I was so motivated. I was praying that something would come my way and they would ship me to BC the minutes we left there. But sadly, it didn't work that way for me. I still have a few days. I leave May12th. I can't wait.
The two DIs that came from PI were awesome. Really motivational Marines. They thrashed us for about 15 minutes. I was afraid to move though. Whe we wwere settting down, I kept my eyes on the back on the boy's head, setting in front of me. It took all I could muster to keep from looking away.
Anyways. I would like to tell about our family night. But I have a report to due in class.
Stay Motivated.
And to any poolee or poolees that have the Family Night coming up, don't dread it. After it is over you will think, " man, is that all?"
But don't be mislead, that is only a taste of what we will get.
Anyways. I am out of here, I have work to do, so I can get my diploma and make shipdate.

OB MSG
03-27-08, 10:02 AM
Here's a little story for you Poolees that you may find funny, I know I did. In 1998 when I DEP'd in we had one of your weekly Pool Meetings. Well as this thread is titled so did we experience. Our recruiters had brought in a female DI to "talk" to us. We all showed up, talked a bit then they took us out back and put us in formation. All of a sudden the back door of the office flies open and this woman of about five feet, five inches and in PT gear, starts ripping us a new one. I had been at a meeting before this and still had the smell of after shave on me when she stormed past, stopped, sniffed me out and went up one side and down the other of me. I apparently wanted to smell pretty for her! Did I want to date her?! No? Did I think she was ugly?! Did I think I was a Pimp?! You get the picture. No answer was good enough, she tore me up for a few minutes then moved on. Then she had us down doing push-ups then flipped us to leg-lilfts.

While we were doing them she was walking through the ranks. This is where it got interesting. Our visiting DI, Drill Instructor Sgt Shock, (I am not kidding), had a tattoo on her. This bit of ink ran from her right butt cheek part-way down the back of her right thigh, about 3 inched out of her PT shorts. (She was wearing the short nylon/silk running shorts.) The Poolee next to me saw this and decided to crane his neck around to get a better view, not that it was a bad view, she was/is an attractive woman. As you can guess he got caught and summarily "killed" right on the spot. I thought the recruiters were going to p!$$ themselves laughing. We all laughed later after she left, but it was an interesting time there for about thirty minutes!

Good times!!

outlaw3179
03-27-08, 11:20 AM
Lol..thats Funny As Hell!

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-27-08, 11:55 AM
Here's a little story for you Poolees that you may find funny, I know I did. In 1998 when I DEP'd in we had one of your weekly Pool Meetings. Well as this thread is titled so did we experience. Our recruiters had brought in a female DI to "talk" to us. We all showed up, talked a bit then they took us out back and put us in formation. All of a sudden the back door of the office flies open and this woman of about five feet, five inches and in PT gear, starts ripping us a new one. I had been at a meeting before this and still had the smell of after shave on me when she stormed past, stopped, sniffed me out and went up one side and down the other of me. I apparently wanted to smell pretty for her! Did I want to date her?! No? Did I think she was ugly?! Did I think I was a Pimp?! You get the picture. No answer was good enough, she tore me up for a few minutes then moved on. Then she had us down doing push-ups then flipped us to leg-lilfts.

While we were doing them she was walking through the ranks. This is where it got interesting. Our visiting DI, Drill Instructor Sgt Shock, (I am not kidding), had a tattoo on her. This bit of ink ran from her right butt cheek part-way down the back of her right thigh, about 3 inched out of her PT shorts. (She was wearing the short nylon/silk running shorts.) The Poolee next to me saw this and decided to crane his neck around to get a better view, not that it was a bad view, she was/is an attractive woman. As you can guess he got caught and summarily "killed" right on the spot. I thought the recruiters were going to p!$$ themselves laughing. We all laughed later after she left, but it was an interesting time there for about thirty minutes!

Good times!!

Thats awesome. In the purest form of awesome as it can come.

PatriotGirl422
03-27-08, 12:11 PM
So here's what I learned during this brief taste of boot camp:
1. You can not yell loud enough
2. Mountain climbers suck
3. Do what you're told, when you're told, and how you're told as fast and as best as possible.

You're definitely right about #1. I screamed as loud as I could every day in boot camp, and I was never called anything but "No Volume" by one of my D.I.s...Talk about head games!

#3 is also very important. Even if you don't know exactly what to do or if you don't have time to think about it, just do something. Move fast and be loud and do everything to the best of your ability.

Everyone's always really traumatized when they see yelling D.I.s at poolee functions, but believe it or not, you get used to that pretty quickly. It's the other things the D.I.s say/do that will really affect you.

THAT AINT IT
03-27-08, 12:19 PM
when i was in the DEP we had a statewide pool function which was pretty much a field meet between the different RSS's. we all knew that we were gonna get a little taste of boot camp but we didnt know when it was gonna happen. anyways we're standing in formation and out of nowhere these two Drill Instructors are all over us, one male and one female. we played the sit down, get up game for about 10 minutes and then they asked for volunteers to demonstrate quarterdeckings...and of course all of us got up. so they scream at us for about an hour and then they split up the males and the females. we got MRE's for chow that day and while we ate we got to ask the female Senior Drill Instructor questions about boot camp. she told a couple of girls (who couldnt keep their mouths shut) that when we got there she would be more than our Senior Drill Instructor. so i go to boot camp the next month and she ended up being my Series GySgt.
so poolees if you have the pleasure of getting this experience...dont **** them off because you might see them again.

Steel
03-27-08, 12:21 PM
You're definitely right about #1. I screamed as loud as I could every day in boot camp, and I was never called anything but "No Volume" by one of my D.I.s...Talk about head games!

#3 is also very important. Even if you don't know exactly what to do or if you don't have time to think about it, just do something. Move fast and be loud and do everything to the best of your ability.

Everyone's always really traumatized when they see yelling D.I.s at poolee functions, but believe it or not, you get used to that pretty quickly. It's the other things the D.I.s say/do that will really affect you.

Personnaly I'd never had a problem with getting enough volumne, the first 5 days they did the "louder aye sir, no, louder aye sir" thing to me and then I instantly lost my voice after those first few days. They'd yell at me and I'd be screaming sounding like a DI that lost his voice and they'd just move on.

PatriotGirl422
03-27-08, 12:37 PM
Personnaly I'd never had a problem with getting enough volumne, the first 5 days they did the "louder aye sir, no, louder aye sir" thing to me and then I instantly lost my voice after those first few days. They'd yell at me and I'd be screaming sounding like a DI that lost his voice and they'd just move on.

What's going on here, Steel? Are you a Marine or a Marine Friend who just went to boot camp?

OB MSG
03-27-08, 12:42 PM
Patriot: Good Question.

Steel: Please clarify. Note that if you give bogus answers, the salvo of incomings will be fierce!

DGardner
03-27-08, 01:23 PM

Good times!!

HELL YEAH! that's awesome:thumbup:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-27-08, 02:23 PM
Patriot: Good Question.

Steel: Please clarify. Note that if you give bogus answers, the salvo of incomings will be fierce!

Tracers every fourth in the mag!

AndyBowman
04-04-08, 07:03 AM
We have ours coming up in a little over two weeks. I am just now finishing up Stew Smith's pushup program to help prepare.

I think we are only going to have one DI there, and a few other recruiting stations mixing up with ours.

Mike

Hey, is that the Poolee Function that is tomorrow in Springfield, I think? If it is, I'll be there.

Whitey
04-06-08, 10:18 AM
here's another one to add to your list, you'll never be able to say "aye sir" properly in 1st phase. trust me, dont think about it just say it. all of first phase "aye sir" "no say AYE SIR!" meanwhile in my head im thinking "is he freaking deaf or crazy? i just said it"

LittleMissStretch
04-06-08, 10:26 AM
Hey, is that the Poolee Function that is tomorrow in Springfield, I think? If it is, I'll be there.
Yes, it is in springfield and if you did come with us than I was there too. SSGT Tilley is my recruiters. So therefore I KNOW YOU...maybe, lol. Nice to see a Poolee from my own pool.

AndyBowman
04-06-08, 01:09 PM
Yes, it is in springfield and if you did come with us than I was there too. SSGT Tilley is my recruiters. So therefore I KNOW YOU...maybe, lol. Nice to see a Poolee from my own pool.

Yep I was there.. it was pretty good but we should have won..haha oh and SSGT Daveron is my recruiter

LittleMissStretch
04-06-08, 06:15 PM
Yep I was there.. it was pretty good but we should have won..haha oh and SSGT Daveron is my recruiter

Yea we should have but like SSGT Dold said. We do functions every month and they pretty much train all year for this one meet. So it's all good. SSGT Davorens is something else. He's an awesome recruiter......but then again they all are.

crazymjb
04-06-08, 06:25 PM
No, ours is next Saturday. I believe we are holding it at Hanscom AFB.

Mike

AndyBowman
04-06-08, 07:27 PM
Yea we should have but like SSGT Dold said. We do functions every month and they pretty much train all year for this one meet. So it's all good. SSGT Davorens is something else. He's an awesome recruiter......but then again they all are.

Yeah thats true..and yeah they all are awesome...SSGT. Daveron and SSGT Tilley have to be the two funniest people I've met. haha But all of them are cool.

AndyBowman
04-06-08, 07:41 PM
here's another one to add to your list, you'll never be able to say "aye sir" properly in 1st phase. trust me, dont think about it just say it. all of first phase "aye sir" "no say AYE SIR!" meanwhile in my head im thinking "is he freaking deaf or crazy? i just said it"

Yeah thats what one of them did to me when we were with the DI's he said "no say Aye Sir" like three times then said " say it louder" about another 4 times...I wasn't one of the people that got it bad though.. haha I think they always chose one person to stay after everyone left for about another minute making them do pushups and situps and just keep going while getting yelled at by 2 DI's. I think it was a good experience and can't wait for the real thing.:evilgrin:

LittleMissStretch
04-06-08, 08:00 PM
Yeah thats true..and yeah they all are awesome...SSGT. Daveron and SSGT Tilley have to be the two funniest people I've met. haha But all of them are cool.

Most Definetely. I just want to PT again on WED. Cant Wait

TypeOrange
04-06-08, 08:45 PM
Our RSS and some other RSS's are having a family day on the 26th of this month. Could this be what I have to look forward to?

cfranco89
04-06-08, 09:01 PM
My Family Night is this coming Friday. I can't wait to see what the Parris Island DI's have in store.

AndyBowman
04-06-08, 09:10 PM
Most Definetely. I just want to PT again on WED. Cant Wait

Yeah We have our PT workouts on Mondays. So I can't wait for tomorrow haha.

LittleMissStretch
04-06-08, 09:33 PM
Yeah We have our PT workouts on Mondays. So I can't wait for tomorrow haha.

hahaha, yea

immaproshooter
04-07-08, 02:02 PM
just remember this...as far as yelling go they get off your back when you lose your voice and also when you get to the point where you caugh up b lood thats hen they know you are givin it youre all ...and tahts all they are asking for...so dont be affraid to lose your voice or dont be affraid to yell when youre voice is gone and throat hurts...

Whitey
04-07-08, 08:49 PM
just remember this...as far as yelling go they get off your back when you lose your voice and also when you get to the point where you caugh up b lood thats hen they know you are givin it youre all ...and tahts all they are asking for...so dont be affraid to lose your voice or dont be affraid to yell when youre voice is gone and throat hurts...

we had a recruit lose his voice and couldn't yell. our kill hat noticed this and said "B**** YOURE JUST TRYING TO GET A COUGH DROP!"

immaproshooter
04-07-08, 11:08 PM
hey whitey how you enjoyin Pcola.......

Whitey
04-08-08, 03:44 PM
med hold and probably getting reclassed:-/ apparently you can't be half deaf in air crew*shrugs*

InfrantrywannaB
04-08-08, 04:16 PM
My recruiter told me once he shipped a Mexican to PI who didn't speak more than like 10 words of English, well my recruiter told me (I guess his recruit told him all this later) that one time a DI came up to him and started yelling, well since the recruit didn't speak English, the recruit picked up a broom and dust-handle and started sweeping, the DI instantly realised what was going on and kind of turned his hat away from the recruits and laughed, apparently the recruit never got messed with again, I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's more important that you give your 100%, even if your doing the wrong thing, for instance if your suppose to say 'aye sir' but you say 'sir,yes,sir', as long as it wasn't intenional and you are going as hard, loud and fast as you can, you will succeed, at least this is what I gathered from my recruiters story.

Adam1988
04-08-08, 04:23 PM
Nah if you say yes sir instead of aye sir you'll get ripped.

immaproshooter
04-08-08, 11:49 PM
oh and i had a a guy who only knew spanish in my plt in boot lets jstu say by the end of boot he was flunt in english...or at least fluent with the words we used and compreheded everything..he did get ****ed with alot...and by our company cmdr as well during inspections

immaproshooter
04-08-08, 11:52 PM
i miss Pcola myself..i lived there for 18 years...

Whitey
04-10-08, 08:08 PM
it seems like all there is to do is goto the beach which because of the season is dead and goto sevilles, babes or arties

Smitty Puffs
04-11-08, 08:06 PM
Just got back from MY meeting with the Parris Island Drill Instructors. It was single handedly the greatest and most bad ass experience of my life so far.It started with dinner and then a guest speaker. After all that was finished they told us to go out in the hall and line up. We get in formation and the Gunnery Sergeant comes out and tells us that they havent heard from the DI, dont know where he is, and tell us to just stand by. Everyones laughing and bull****ting and im just standing there goin "**** THAT! that guy is within close proximity! Were gettin ambushed"...sure enough, and without any warning the BAMF of all BAMF's kicks the door in and comes in guns a blazin. After that he proceeded to thrash the **** out of us for about 20 minutes in front of the parents. It was great, I loved it, others didnt. I dont have my voice anymore just from 20 minutes of yelling, not sure if thats good or bad. One kid even pussed out and left because the DI called him a "fatty".

Good times. The greatest piece of motivation ive had so far in the DEP. I want to leave NOW.

:evilgrin: :D:thumbup:

Hoplite
04-11-08, 09:24 PM
I'm glad to hear ya had a good time with it. I agree with ya, it was pretty damn fun in it's own little way. That's probably because that was the most excitement I've had in awhile haha.

Oh and it might be a good "fatty" left when he did. He just saved himself and everyone the trouble. (I bet his recruiter wasn't too happy) Hell, I was counting on them to call me a fat ass for some extra moto! Oh well, I'll get my fill of it soon enough.
:evilgrin:

JGWright
04-12-08, 10:00 PM
I had my Family Night last night for RSS Dover, New Hampshire, but one major disappointment: the Drill Instructor's arrival was cancelled! A retired First Sergeant with 26 years spoke as well as our Staff Sergeant, a food line, and that was it. No Drill Instructor experience :cry:

SlingerDun
04-12-08, 10:34 PM
...one major disappointment: the Drill Instructor's arrival was cancelled! A retired First Sergeant with 26 years spoke...He coulda lit you all up if so inclined. Saving it for posterity i suppose.:evilgrin:

Smitty Puffs
04-12-08, 10:57 PM
Ya they told us our DI wasnt on time either. then he kicked the door in and dropped us on our faces.

sawatzke82
04-13-08, 02:10 AM
Anybody doing this on the 26th of this month in Valdosta, GA?

immaproshooter
04-14-08, 03:56 AM
so all of ya'll who had PI DI's visit...any of you remember who they are?....give us some ranks and names