PDA

View Full Version : SMCR Medal vs. Good Conduct Medal

Marine0531
03-26-08, 02:52 AM
So this is a question that I have found to be nearly impossible to answer, at first glance the subject makes it appear to be an easy one, but I am technically a reservist with one SMCR Medal so I know what the difference is so my question is this... I volunteered and was activated to go to Iraq in 2005 and after returning home I have remained on active orders for almost 3 years total now without a single days break, and have been acting as the I&I shop chief, Now I know that AR get the active duty Good Conduct Medal instead of the SMCR but I'm not even technically AR I'm a reservist on Mob orders, and everything I've found on-line appears to state that a reservist can rate the active duty good cookie as long as they are on orders for 3 consecutive years, my AFADBD was back in 05 and is rounding the corner on 3 years and by the time I'm done I would have been active for slightly over 4 years out of the 6 as a reservist, (I know I should have gone active to begin with and am still planing on going active at the end of my current contract) so if anyone knows the answer to this let me know, and what would be even better is if someone could point me in the direction of a MarAdmin or something to back it up!?

Semper Fi
Cpl Miller (Sgt Select!)

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 03:34 AM
S-1 should be able to help you out Cpl. If they can't they can talk to someone at the PAC and find out for you.

yanacek
03-26-08, 05:42 AM
Reservists who serve on active duty for 3 years rate the Good Conduct Medal (GCM) if otherwise qualified. However, the period credited for the GCM CANNOT be counted towards the SMCR Medal--and visa versa. So, if you already have a SMCR Medal, the date you begin receiving credit towards the GMC begins the day following the date you were authorized the SMCR Medal.

I know this from personal experience. I served 23 years as a member of the USMCR with 20 years on continuous active duty in a non-AR billet.

As far as references, the Awards Manual provides the guidance. Many admin-types read it and come to the erroneous conclusion that reservists do not rate the GMC because they incorrectly interpret "active duty" as regular establishment (USMC) service.

yanacek
03-26-08, 05:48 AM
Added note: I have 6 GCMs and 1 SMCR Medal, all of which are documented in my SRB and on my DD-214.

I hope this helps.

iguinae
03-26-08, 08:00 AM
The MSgt is correct. If you look up (Google it) secnavinst 1650.1G, Under Chapter 4 page 4-8, It states specifically "Any 3 years of continuous active service, regardless of expiration or extension of enlistments and any previous or subsequent disciplinary action except as indicated in subparagraph (b) for enlisted personnel, Regular or Reserve,"

Sgt Leprechaun
03-27-08, 09:42 AM
And, there you have it. I don't think it will get much clearer than that.